website for bp sounds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

star23

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a website you can go to listen to the sounds you hear while taking a blood pressure? How about for a normal cardiac exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Hereisa great site for listening to the heart. <a href="http://www.wilkes.med.ucla.edu/intro.html" target="_blank">http://www.wilkes.med.ucla.edu/intro.html</a>

I mean no disrespect, but are there really people in medical school that have never taken or do not know how to take a blood pressure(i.e. not familiar with the sounds)?

I mean granted, as a paramedic I may have a little more clinical type experience than some pre-clinical med students, but I learned to take blood pressures in health occupations class in high school back in 1992. It just seems like a gimme that BP, pulse, breath sounds, cpr, and basic airway stuff is known by all med students, but I am not there yet so I do not know.

Again, no disrespect or attitute, I am just asking and clarifying my preconseption.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been told that there are actually seven sounds that can be heard while taking a blood pressure. I don't what they are or their significance but this guy was a cardiologist so he knew what he was talking about. I'm lucky to hear two when I take a BP.

Originally posted by Medic171:
•I mean no disrespect, but are there really people in medical school that have never taken or do not know how to take a blood pressure(i.e. not familiar with the sounds)?

I mean granted, as a paramedic I may have a little more clinical type experience than some pre-clinical med students, but I learned to take blood pressures in health occupations class in high school back in 1992. It just seems like a gimme that BP, pulse, breath sounds, cpr, and basic airway stuff is known by all med students, but I am not there yet so I do not know.

Again, no disrespect or attitute, I am just asking and clarifying my preconseption.•••

Your assumptions are wrong. While it is true many medical students have some sort of clinical training prior to entering med school, the majority do not. Most don't know how to take a blood pressure. They will learn it adequately in med school. It is not a prerequisite for entrance to med school, nor should it be. Thankfully the clinical training is long and arduous, sufficient to impart expert clinical skills.

I wouldn't harp on your skills. While it is true that medics have basic understanding of bp monitoring, I would venture to say the majority do not take it properly. This comes from a wealth of experience working directly with, and training medics. The med student will eventually learn this skill in deft fashion, and be able to apply this clinical skill in context.

Geesh Medic171, why so critical? Star23 was just asking for a website with sounds. Not everyone has learned to take blood pressure before they got to medical school and it isn't a requirement, as Klebsiella noted.

That's a great site, as it has many useful sounds with explanations of the associated physiology. It is really helpful to have this format, as it is very difficult to get an idea of what things sound like by written description. You really have to hear it for yourself.

Anyway, I couldn't find the sounds of Korotkoff (the sounds produced by turbulent blood flow in the brachial artery as the pressure is released in the cuff) on the site. Did I miss something? Nice murmur, gallop, and lung sounds though. :D

I did EMT in college and we never learned the 'right' way to take a blood pressure. Then again I've never yet seen it taken the way we learned in med school either, first palpation then up again and never deflating as one might miss the ausculatory gap. Of course this stuff isn't that important in pre-hospital care as I was always more concerned about the patient having a blood pressure in the first place. After that I could worry about what it was, and trying to hear those darn sounds in noisy places.