Website for deciding if you are competitive

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by maymee3, Jun 14, 2008.

1. maymee3

Medical Student
    Hey does anybody know what the website is that allows you to put in your MCAT and GPA and then lets you click on different schools which gives you a ranking of how competitive you are for the school? I have heard about the site but can't seem to find it! Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Excelsius

Excelsius Carpe Noctem

Get this book: MSAR. It lists GPAs and MCATs for all accepted applicants. You can also check it out at your local library. For quick info, look at my attachment that was made by another member here on SDN. The numbers there might not be as recent as the 2009-10 MSAR, but they will do. There might be some typos.

Attached Files:

4. redlight

redlight Senior Member :D

Pre-Medical
  5. Excelsius

Excelsius Carpe Noctem

Ahh, the old forum where I used to be before defecting. I have used that tool in the past and it is, I think, very misleading, especially if you have extreme numbers. Put in 11/11/11 and 3.0 and it says that you are competitive at most schools. That is just not true. They were going to fix it, but it doesn't seem they have because 33 and 3.0 is not competitive for Brown, especially if you are out of state.

Your best bet is to look at MSAR. Another thing you can do is calculate your "LizzyM" score: GPA*10+MCAT score (sometimes -1) and compare yourself to the MSAR. But again, that calculation is not too accurate for unbalanced numbers. Still, it is way better than that website.

#4 Excelsius, Jun 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  6. doomknight

doomknight Bing

I did a quick look

According to that site, I am VERY competitive at mayo, UWash (i'm a Michigan resident ffs)

I disagree

7. A quick look at that site shows some sketchy methodology. I'd use the MSAR.

8. redlight

Pre-Medical
    how can anyone take sites like this seriously? haha, dont even know when it was last updated
    i thought people checked it for fun
    i put in a 3.9gpa and 33mcat and my point score was -1,000 for some random school (maybe because i would be an oos applicant lol)
    i think it's interesting, but wouldn't give any of the results any credence. the msar would be your best bet.

9. costadelsol

Pre-Medical
  10. redlight

Pre-Medical
    i like how it links to mdapps profiles
    interesting site...

11. neurocirujano

Banned

Pre-Medical
  12. harposnarpo

Neat site, I'm getting an idea where I stand by:
    (summation of percents / 100% )*.7 . .7 to weed out the top 30%/disadvantaged/whatever applicants with similar numbers.

#11 harposnarpo, Jun 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  13. ronaldo23

ronaldo23 The Truth

Medical Student
    it doesnt take into account abnormally low numbers in one category as an automatic red flag. I entered 1.9 GPA and 40 MCAT, and was 'really competitive' at most ny schools