Weigh on in my choices please!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quinnesember

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I have gotten into KCUMB, CCOM, NYCOM, and LECOM Bradenton. Wait listed at University at Buffalo MD and interview at LECOM Erie next week. Waiting to hear back from Touro Harlem but didn't like it there. I was between LECOM and KCUMB but reading everyone's posts made me think I should reconsider CCOM. Nothing about their curriculum impressed me. I like the PBL stuff at LECOM and I liked how prepared KCUMB seemed to make you and just the overall atmosphere. I'm just wondering if I'm hurting my future career by not choosing CCOM. Not interested in research, leaning toward a primary care field like OB/GYN. I'm not totally opposed to moving around for rotations but might prefer not to. Also, from what I've seen online, KCUMB and LECOM have higher boards scores. Please let me know what you think! Deposit due at CCOM the 14th!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I have gotten into KCUMB, CCOM, NYCOM, and LECOM Bradenton. Wait listed at University at Buffalo MD and interview at LECOM Erie next week. Waiting to hear back from Touro Harlem but didn't like it there. I was between LECOM and KCUMB but reading everyone's posts made me think I should reconsider CCOM. Nothing about their curriculum impressed me. I like the PBL stuff at LECOM and I liked how prepared KCUMB seemed to make you and just the overall atmosphere. I'm just wondering if I'm hurting my future career by not choosing CCOM. Not interested in research, leaning toward a primary care field like OB/GYN. I'm not totally opposed to moving around for rotations but might prefer not to. Also, from what I've seen online, KCUMB and LECOM have higher boards scores. Please let me know what you think! Deposit due at CCOM the 14th!
I think that if you can succeed in the pure PBL curriculum at lecom bradenton, you should go there just for the extremely cheap tuition. Everyone on SDN eventually comes to the consensus that all DO school educations are essentially the same and the deciding factors should be rotations, tuition, and enjoying the school. Sounds like you will do well with the learning style and end up with a lot less in loans.

I'd personally go with KCUMB or LECOM. Save yourself $100k.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd personally go with KCUMB or LECOM. Save yourself $100k.

Some people were saying that CCOM is worth the extra money because of the better job you'll get afterward. Hard to know how true this is obviously.

If you are dead set on a Chicago area residency then CCOM is a better choice. Both florida and Pennsylvania have several medical schools and a mix of large, densely populated cities as well as small rural centers which will hopefully provide a range of residency and practice environments.

If you are fairly certain you would like to go into primary care then you should be doing everything possible to minimize debt now, go with KCUMB or LECOM. I'm from the Chicago area and am planning to go with one of the LECOMs over CCOM largely due to the difference in debt.

If you are dead set on a Chicago area residency then CCOM is a better choice. Both florida and Pennsylvania have several medical schools and a mix of large, densely populated cities as well as small rural centers which will hopefully provide a range of residency and practice environments.

If you are fairly certain you would like to go into primary care then you should be doing everything possible to minimize debt now, go with KCUMB or LECOM. I'm from the Chicago area and am planning to go with one of the LECOMs over CCOM largely due to the difference in debt.

I have about $160k to spend on living, tuition, etc. so I'll be in less debt than most people to begin with. Still would be nice to be in less debt though of course.

Some people were saying that CCOM is worth the extra money because of the better job you'll get afterward. Hard to know how true this is obviously.

CCOM won't get you a better job. You'll be a practicing physician no matter where you go. So I don't buy into that hype. If you have family and simply want to live in Chicago that's another story.

kcumb imo. im über jealous of all kcumb acceptances. really wanted to go here but was rejected in the beginning lolz

I have about $160k to spend on living, tuition, etc. so I'll be in less debt than most people to begin with. Still would be nice to be in less debt though of course.
That definitely changes things. Your debt will probably range between 0-120k no matter where you go. At that point go to the school you felt had the best fit.

You're not hurting your career by turning down one place or the other. I think you'll get a good education at any of your choices.

Pick the school that's the best fit for you.

I would say LECOM of all your choices simply because PBL looks fun as hell.