Weight and admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many schools will be using BMIs to convert 2015 MCAT scores to 2014 equivalents.

The equation is:

2014_Equiv. = 2015_MCAT / [(|BMI - 20|/10) + 1.25]

I admit this is pretty unfair, though, since admissions chances are already inversely related to BMI, but I guess they have to cut some people out somehow...

I think your fat-factor is a little too extreme, so I came up with a model similar to what you invented but discounted the effect of BMI a little bit. But for a back-of-the-envelope calculation in 2 minutes for a forum post, I think you were pretty close. I did some plotting in Wolfram Alpha and came up with this plot, shown as both a contour plot and as a mesh plot:

old mcat with bmi contour.jpg
old mcat with bmi mesh.jpg

The w axis is your BMI. Applicants are rewarded for having a BMI exactly in the middle of the range associated with "lowest risk of death"...aka BMI=22.5

The o axis is your 2014 MCAT score, i.e. from practice tests.

The unlabeled axis is your projected 2015 MCAT score, factoring in both variables.

The mesh plot is good way to look up your actual projected 2015 MCAT score if you know both of your measurements. But the contour plot is really more interesting...contour lines represent constant 2015 MCAT scores. So you could see, for example, that someone with a BMI of 30 who got a 37 on the 2014 practice tests would get the same 2015 MCAT as someone with a BMI of 24 who only scored a ~31 on those practice tests.

That is so unfair!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I wonder how many people replied to this thread to make sure they were securely standing on their pedestal above other people whether it be OP, overweight people in general, or a particular person from one's past.

This thread in a nutshell:
-Post #14 someone is still not over his ex, so he decides to post about it in OP's thread since she, as an overweight future doctor, reminds him somewhat of his ex who is an overweight future doctor. Unfortunately, this post offends OP because it used derogatory language against overweight people. He later gives an insincere apology while continuing to say insulting things.
-OP is now very upset because she feels insulted and mocked, so she posts her feelings.
How sincere is an apology supposed to be to a complete stranger over the internet? The apology was a formality, but you're right I could actually care less. I apologized for the purpose of civility, not because of remorse for my off color joke about my ex.

No one knew that the OP was overweight until she reacted to BurberryDoc's post. The whole thing would have dropped if OP would have taken just taken his 2 apologies and moved on. She only caught as much flack as she did because of all the righteous indignation over an off color joke.

Didn't know the OP was overweight. @TheWeeIceMan hit the nail on the head with this one.

Here is an extra large sugar cube for that very high horse of yours, @V5RED
sugarcube.jpg

What bugs me is that weight doesn't have a direct correlation to willpower, discipline or moral superiority. It's wrong to assume that everyone who is thin is a praiseworthy health nut and everyone who is overweight is like Jabba the Hutt. Although I am not super-skinny, I have never been overweight - and yet I do not work out and I rarely watch what I eat. I suspect my weight has more to do with genetics, as no one in my extended family is obese (although we all live in the USA, with its high rate of obesity) and only a few are slightly overweight, due to age and a sedentary lifestyle. Losing weight and keep it off is easy for some, difficult for others.

Of course the OP "liked" this post. Just because it is more difficult for some than others, it doesn't give the overweight person in question a get out of jail free card. In the case of the OP, this is an issue that concerns them, but they have already in the course of this thread made excuses for not trying, and instead is hoping a group of strangers will stroke their ego and say "no, don't worry about it. It's okay to be fat, it won't count against you at your interview" as further solace for them to not try. I CANNOT BELIEVE that this thread is still running, but now I'll wait for the OP to call me a troll again.

For the record:
I am 5'9'', 240 pounds. I just got home from the gym. It sucks, and I feel like a slob surrounded by all those in shape people, but instead of being a shamed about it, I'm actually trying to do something about it. I BARELY fit into my suit when I got my first medical school interview invite, so I hit the gym and the pool HARD so I could just about squeeze into my suit properly for the interview. Why? Because being overweight has a social stigma, does not convey the sparkling image of health that engenders trust in a patient, and that was just a factor I didn't want to have to work against during my interview. OP, be proactive. I barely have time to go to the gym, so I just go for a half hour on my way to work/school, and I just hang out a little less with friends during the week or wake up a little earlier (yeah, that's annoying to - I got over it though).

Sitting here waiting for more excuses, lay em on me.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, students are judged on intelligence when they apply to medical school. Just like women are judged on attractiveness when they apply to become victoria's secret models. Do you understand that outside of these select situations, a person's grades and weight are no one else's business?

So, the student with a 4.0 and a 37 MCAT and an "interesting life story" because they grew up in the hood and eventually escaped a life of gang violence, they will get accepted despite the tattoo on their neck? NO.

Of course the OP "liked" this post. Just because it is more difficult for some than others, it doesn't give the overweight person in question a get out of jail free card. In the case of the OP, this is an issue that concerns them, but they have already in the course of this thread made excuses for not trying, and instead is hoping a group of strangers will stroke their ego and say "no, don't worry about it. It's okay to be fat, it won't count against you at your interview" as further solace for them to not try. I CANNOT BELIEVE that this thread is still running, but now I'll wait for the OP to call me a troll again.

For the record:
I am 5'9'', 240 pounds. I just got home from the gym. It sucks, and I feel like a slob surrounded by all those in shape people, but instead of being a shamed about it, I'm actually trying to do something about it. I BARELY fit into my suit when I got my first medical school interview invite, so I hit the gym and the pool HARD so I could just about squeeze into my suit properly for the interview. Why? Because being overweight has a social stigma, does not convey the sparkling image of health that engenders trust in a patient, and that was just a factor I didn't want to have to work against during my interview. OP, be proactive. I barely have time to go to the gym, so I just go for a half hour on my way to work/school, and I just hang out a little less with friends during the week or wake up a little earlier (yeah, that's annoying to - I got over it though).

Wow! The truth comes out. You are actually quite a bit larger than I am -- perhaps I should be the one instructing YOU to "put the fork down" ;)

I am not offended by the rational posters on this thread who believe looks play a role in admissions. That discussion has been exhausted. I do take exception to the posters (such as yourself) who post offensive and rude things about
overweight people.

It all makes sense now. Calling your ex a disgusting manatee/slob is clearly a reflection of your own insecurities.

The end.

Wow! The truth comes out. You are actually quite a bit larger than I am -- perhaps I should be the one instructing YOU to "put the fork down" ;)

I am not offended by the rational posters on this thread who believe looks play a role in admissions. That discussion has been exhausted. I do take exception to the posters (such as yourself) who post offensive and rude things about
overweight people.

It all makes sense now. Calling your ex a disgusting manatee/slob is clearly a reflection of your own insecurities.

The end.
[/quote]

You could ask me what my BMI is sweetheart ;-)
I'm at 19% BF. How about you?
Muscle is denser than fat, lest we forget.
P.S. learn how to quote.

Also, if I was that insecure about it, I wouldn't be posting my height and weight, would I?
Try and get a grip on reality.

manatee.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
:corny: <--- see what I did there?

Reactions: 4 users

overweight people.

The end.

Lol wowwwww you jumped all over the fact that he posted his weight didn't you? I'm sure it just made your day to be able to crow on about it.
At least he doesn't make excuses. I give him a double thumbs up for that.

overweight people.

The end.
honestly, how have you managed to not get banned yet

Reactions: 5 users
She can go join "ILuvScience" from ages ago. Anyone remember her?? Hahaha she was my first ever SDN troll experience

For the record:

Sitting here waiting for more excuses, lay em on me.

I.. think you destroyed @jetsfan1234 with that argument lol.

Members don't see this ad :)

overweight people.

The end.

10/10 OP, for your perseverance in trolling.

Because @jetsfan1234 shows huge amounts of love and affection for all of us. Plus free food for SDNers who agree with her! So why not?

streampaw as epic. this thread needs to die. OP get a grip, your first error was rooting for the jets

So, the student with a 4.0 and a 37 MCAT and an "interesting life story" because they grew up in the hood and eventually escaped a life of gang violence, they will get accepted despite the tattoo on their neck? NO.
ya that dude would probably get in

Reactions: 1 users
streampaw as epic. this thread needs to die. OP get a grip, your first error was rooting for the jets

I'd have my doubts. Maybe 4.0 and 37 was a bit extreme of an example, unless the dude was also a total gangster when it came to studying too haha. Alot of medical schools request headshots, in part, for this reason. If you have some kind of Mike Tyson status or gauges or anything like that, or some awful collection of face piercings, the application is seldom looked at seriously. Just doesn't convey an image of professionalism. I'd imagine the same would go for someone who has submitted a picture of themselse sans neck.

I'd have my doubts. Maybe 4.0 and 37 was a bit extreme of an example, unless the dude was also a total gangster when it came to studying too haha. Alot of medical schools request headshots, in part, for this reason. If you have some kind of Mike Tyson status or gauges or anything like that, or some awful collection of face piercings, the application is seldom looked at seriously. Just doesn't convey an image of professionalism. I'd imagine the same would go for someone who has submitted a picture of themselse sans neck.
a neck tattoo i think will be overlooked by most adcoms in context of the guy's background and ridiculous academic creds. face tats are probably too much, but kids get in with gauges and face piercings (brow, nose, lip) all the time.

Streampaw is still around fortunately! Currently posting under krispykreem

Reactions: 3 users
I don't like where this is going...

Reactions: 1 users
Streampaw is still around fortunately! Currently posting under krispykreem
Yeah but she's trying to not get banned again so the thrill is gone.
The thrill is still there...you just have to look a little harder.

http://streampaw.blogspot.com/

I disagree with mcloaf. Pretty sure streampaw doesn't care if she gets banned again as long as she wins the arms race against SDN lol... talk about perseverance (and lots of free time).

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder how many people replied to this thread to make sure they were securely standing on their pedestal above other people whether it be OP, overweight people in general, or a particular person from one's past.

This thread in a nutshell:
-OP is an overweight female who is worried that her physique will keep her out of medical school.
-A few people reply to give their guesses, then a medical school administrator says they do not list being overweight as a specific red flag. At this point the thread should have been done.
-Post #14 someone is still not over his ex, so he decides to post about it in OP's thread since she, as an overweight future doctor, reminds him somewhat of his ex who is an overweight future doctor. Unfortunately, this post offends OP because it used derogatory language against overweight people. He later gives an insincere apology while continuing to say insulting things.
-OP is now very upset because she feels insulted and mocked, so she posts her feelings.
-Insert condescension and people telling OP to get over herself and off her pedestal.

It could be said I am now doing the same thing, standing on my pedestal to feel better. I would, however suggest that there is a difference between reprimanding a person who is probably even more worried now after hearing the opinions of many pre-meds about the evils of obesity and what I am doing.
Also, physician =/= dietitian or personal trainer. If you wish to lose weight, those are the avenues you take, and those people should look the part, but that is advertising. I doubt a sane person would refuse to undergo surgery because the doctor was too fat.
Nice try with your break down but you completely forgot about the part where I demanded ex-GF pictures. Come on man, read the thread next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.