Weight of LOR from Club President

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxPlancker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I imagine that there would be little to no weight on such a letter but can any adcoms weigh in on whether the letter would atleast get read? @Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM @Catalystik @mimelim @gonnif

I was the President of an org at my uni and one of the members who has been instrumental to our success is applying this cycle, and I suggested getting a letter regarding her involvement. Unfortunately, the faculty advisor is not able to provide one this year as something major happened to him (cannot even co-write the letter at this point). I've written several letters for members applying for awards etc and they have been quite successful but I'm not sure how med school adcoms would perceive this.

The letter would be without a doubt stellar and the best I've ever written…I also think this may reduce the little credibility of the letter further.

Inputs and/or suggestions appreciated!

Edit: I guess the title is a bit misleading. I pretty much know the letter won't carry much weight but I'm wondering whether it would still be read. If it's read then, it may leave some subconscious impression similar to seeing multiple MCATs or a LOI despite policies for only using the highest MCAT or interpreting the LOI as neutral.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Mmm I figured as much haha. Thanks for the input. Any ideas on how to circumvent this problem? It's kind of frustrating because nature ran its course and caused this situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
It would carry very little weight.

I imagine that there would be little to no weight on such a letter but can any adcoms weigh in on whether the letter would atleast get read? @Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM @Catalystik @mimelim @gonnif

I was the President of an org at my uni and one of the members who has been instrumental to our success is applying this cycle, and I suggested getting a letter regarding her involvement. Unfortunately, the faculty advisor is not able to provide one this year as something major happened to him (cannot even co-write the letter at this point). I've written several letters for members applying for awards etc and they have been quite successful but I'm not sure how med school adcoms would perceive this.

The letter would be without a doubt stellar and the best I've ever written…I also think this may reduce the little credibility of the letter further.

Inputs and/or suggestions appreciated!

Edit: I guess the title is a bit misleading. I pretty much know the letter won't carry much weight but I'm wondering whether it would still be read. If it's read then, it may leave some subconscious impression similar to seeing multiple MCATs or a LOI despite policies for only using the highest MCAT or interpreting the LOI as neutral.

Reactions: 1 user