WEIGHT of loupes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WilliamC93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
One more quick loupe question

For whatever reason, I cannot find a real, definitive answer on how the weight of loupes actually affect the usability of the loupes. I'm looking into Zeiss flip downs which are know for being crystal clear, but heavy. I see heavy everywhere. Heavy this, heavy that, but I have yet to see any actual account of the heaviness being an actual issue after more than just use at a vendor fair. I've talked to many other students that said not to get heavy loupes because they can cause headaches etc. but none of these people actually had heavy loupes and have just heard that. The people with the loupes I want all love them and recommend them saying there was no problems.

So, is heavieness really a factor afterall? Has anyone actually used heavy loupes for an extended period of time and had issues with it? PS: All the older kids with Zeiss's have the Zeiss's on Oakley frames and have a tightening wrap around band that helps distribute the weight (I forgot the name of those things)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One more quick loupe question

For whatever reason, I cannot find a real, definitive answer on how the weight of loupes actually affect the usability of the loupes. I'm looking into Zeiss flip downs which are know for being crystal clear, but heavy. I see heavy everywhere. Heavy this, heavy that, but I have yet to see any actually account of the heaviness being an actual issue after more than just use at a vendor fair. I've talked to many other students that said not to get heavy loupes because they can cause headaches etc. but none of these people actually had heavy loupes and have just heard that. The people with the loupes I want all love them and recommend them saying there was no problems.

So, is heavieness really a factor afterall? Has anyone actually used heavy loupes for an extended period of time and had issues with it? PS: All the older kids with Zeiss's have the Zeiss's on Oakley frames and have a tightening wrap around band that helps distribute the weight (I forgot the name of those things)

ive had two of the heavier loupes out there...dfv expanded field 4.3 and now eyezoom from orasciptic...neither problem with either...dont let weight get in the way of your vision..weight wont be an issue, trust me

Members don't see this ad :)
ive had two of the heavier loupes out there...dfv expanded field 4.3 and now eyezoom from orasciptic...neither problem with either...dont let weight get in the way of your vision..weight wont be an issue, trust me
Awesome thanks man! Glad you brought up the Orascoptic Eyezooms. Those are the other ones that interest me and I'll be checking them out this week. How do you like them?? I am a real stickler for declination angle but the rep told me the best they can do is 30 degrees which doesn't fit will with me so I'm unsure.

i really like them...declination angle was never a big deal for me

It depends on who you talk to. Most people out there haven't ever used Zeiss Prismatics. To them, anything on a long telescope or a flip up setup is heavy. I have DFV 2.5 on Yeomans, Surgitel 4.5 on Oakleys, the Orascoptic Eyezoom w/ built in battery, and my Zeiss 4.0 prismatic. To me, the DFV, Surgitels, and Orascoptics are all within a tolerable range of heaviness (DFV TTL's being the lightest of course, Orascoptics being superbly balanced). When I had the Zeiss on the titantium glasses strapped to my face four hours, the fatigue from weight was significant. To answer your question, yes, the weight is significant and I feel it's a big issue. It's in a different category of heavy compared to common dental loupes.

It depends on who you talk to. Most people out there haven't ever used Zeiss Prismatics. To them, anything on a long telescope or a flip up setup is heavy. I have DFV 2.5 on Yeomans, Surgitel 4.5 on Oakleys, the Orascoptic Eyezoom w/ built in battery, and my Zeiss 4.0 prismatic. To me, the DFV, Surgitels, and Orascoptics are all within a tolerable range of heaviness (DFV TTL's being the lightest of course, Orascoptics being superbly balanced). When I had the Zeiss on the titantium glasses strapped to my face four hours, the fatigue from weight was significant. To answer your question, yes, the weight is significant and I feel it's a big issue. It's in a different category of heavy compared to common dental loupes.
Haha but aren't you the guy who preaches the beauty of Zeiss on all the other loupe threads?? I have just heard today from a 3rd year another actual account of loupe headaches from weight, perhaps I will look into other options..

..like the eyezooms. So how do you like them? Would you highly recommend them, regardless of a lesser declination angle possible?

It's true, love me some Zeiss. I use mine on the S mount which is the head strap. I look a bit dorky but if solves all the issues with the weight. I still maintain they are the best and amazing optical quality. it's worth it to use it with a head strap.

Haha but aren't you the guy who preaches the beauty of Zeiss on all the other loupe threads?? I have just heard today from a 3rd year another actual account of loupe headaches from weight, perhaps I will look into other options..

..like the eyezooms. So how do you like them? Would you highly recommend them, regardless of a lesser declination angle possible?