Weight of other activities in applying to medschools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pullhard

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a rising junior at an Ivy League university and am majoring in biology. I have been told by many people that only see my grades (3.0 gpa) that there is enough reason for me to give up trying to become a doctor. However, I have also been told by a few doctors that my school, athletics, and (of course) killing the mcats could keep my dream alive. I will be the first to admit that my classes take a huge hit for my sport. Athletics are a huge part of my life - I am a D1 athlete who trains with my team for usually 8 hours/day 6 days/week and our racing season is all year, spanning from Sept-July. Racing is an integral part of my life and, through my sport, I have been fortunate enough to win conference titles, national titles, and have gathered international racing experience. I was recently told that by being in an Ivy League program along with such extensive racing experience (of course with volunteering and shadowing in the summers), that I could still have a chance and I was hoping that someone on here could give their opinions on this subject.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts anyone might be able to share with me.

Members don't see this ad.

Maintain the rising trend and you'll end up a strong DO candidate. MD odds depend on exactly where your AMCAS GPA sits when it's all said and done.. but no, it's too early to call it a day for sure.

As a rising junior you have plenty of time to bring up your grades. So long as you complete the next year with high marks to bring your GPA to a 3.3 or so, I believe you will still have a shot. I have a 3.44cGPA/3.48sGPA, but I am not from an Ivy League school. I did, however, play college sports and also went on to national championships (2) and professional trials. I believe I should have talked more about my sport in my personal statement, but I found that I enjoyed medicine more and I was able to take part in some amazing programs to heighten my interest for medicine.

A 3.0 is easy to take care of if you have a full year left and have about 60-70 credits... it's much harder when you have 120 and have a year to bring up the gpa. I wish I had a better mcat so I am retaking. Do yourself a favor a make sure you have ample time for the mcat studies and in that same time, I would drop your ECs so that you have enough effort in sport and mcat studies.