Weight of Summer Enrichment Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txcadman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
d

Members don't see this ad.

Your DAT scores are pretty low and some of the sections would not meet the cut offs for dental schools prerequisite requirements. As to the summer enrichment program... are you from Texas? I had a friend who attended Baylors summer enrichment program, and she said that everyone who was in that program and applied to Baylor, was accepted. It does carry a lot of weight assuming you do well on the DAT and the courses they offer. :luck:

Thank you for your response tinman... yes, I am from Texas but I didn't go to the Baylor Summer Program. I have a wife & 3 kids and work full time so I did the best I could on the DAT with the time I have. For now, I guess its just a waiting game this application cycle and I am fully prepared to try again next year. Good luck to everyone. Would still love more feedback on summer programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I left my wife behind to do UNC's MED program this summer. It was truly excellent, full immersion, 40-hour/week biomedical
sciences for 10 weeks. http://www.med.unc.edu/oed/med/

So far, it was the most challenging academic environment I've faced.

I got a lot of exposure to the dental school, its students, and its faculty. I can't speak for other summer programs, but MED was DEFINITELY a worthwhile experience, and I think it gives me an edge over other applicants. The administration, people on the admissions committee, and current students told me as much.

Don't worry about it being primarily for minorities or other underrepresented subgroups. I applied as a privileged white guy and was accepted. Plus, it was excellent to be surrounded by a group of similarly motivated people who'd I've have never met otherwise. All-in-all, it was superb.

I left my wife behind to do UNC's MED program this summer. It was truly excellent, full immersion, 40-hour/week biomedical

I got a lot of exposure to the dental school, its students, and its faculty. I can't speak for other summer programs, but MED was DEFINITELY a worthwhile experience, and I think it gives me an edge over other applicants. The administration, people on the admissions committee, and current students told me as much.

Don't worry about it being primarily for minorities or other underrepresented subgroups. I applied as a privileged white guy and was accepted. Plus, it was excellent to be surrounded by a group of similarly motivated people who'd I've have never met otherwise. All-in-all, it was superb.

Whoa, your a dude? nice name.

The Summer Enrichment Program does help a lot with applying to that school. I attended the Baylor SPEP program a couple of years back but without a DAT score of 19+ and good scores during the summer you wouldn't get in. Most of the people that attend the summer program will get an interview but that doesn't mean that they are in, 90% of my summer class didn't get in due to either DAT scores, summer scores, or both. Raise that DAT and your a shoe in

Dear Sarah_Bellum;;
Nice job. I am not sure whether i should try to do some research this year, or participate in a Pre-dental program like this. Its hard to decide. On the one hand, a program like this would be very impressive to any Admissions COmmittee. But, if you have a great Gpa and decent DAT scores, they would get that idea anyway, right?? Thanks for the inside info though.

Thanks for the details MR. Sarah_ bellum, I'm looking to apply to this!