1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

weight of the DO letter of Rec.??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by spyyder31, Mar 20, 2002.

1. spyyder31

spyyder31 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am REALLY scared about my letter form a DO. The absolute only time that I have to shadow will be this coming spring break, and in this short time I have to try to get the Doc to write me a "good letter." Why did I wait until now? There has been just no time. I work full time and go to school...as do many. but the way my schedule has panned out over the last three semesters is that I have only the weekends and some evenings free. Yet there are NO Do offices open around here after 5pm or on the weekends. Any one else have a similar problem? how much is the letter going to factor into the selection process???

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sliceOheaven

sliceOheaven Member
    7+ Year Member

A DO Letter of Rec. is required at many of the schools (ex: LECOM, NOVA). Some of the others recommend having a DO letter (ex: NYCOM, PCOM) and some don't mention too much or anything anything about it (ex:UNECOM, UMDNJ-SOM).

I applied to PCOM, UMDNJ-SOM, UNECOM, and NYCOM without a DO LOR. I was Interviewed and accepted at UNECOM, NYCOM, and UMDNJ-SOM.

I have pretty decent stats, a bunch ECs, and an MD LOR. You don't have to have the DO letter just consider what the rest of package looks like and where you want to apply.

4. dctrben

dctrben Member
    7+ Year Member

spyyder,

I agree with the above poster. I would like to add that KCOM will also take an MD LOR on a case by case basis. I shadowed the DO that actually wrote my LOR for only a day. Of course we had known each other for some time, I just lived in a different state at the time and a day was all I could get together with him.

Don't stress too much over it. Get what time you can and make sure that s/he will write you a solid LOR. Your 'whole picture' is the key to success.

Ben

5. AnnaA

AnnaA Member
    7+ Year Member

MSUCOM and KCOM also do not require a DO recommendation. I got a LOR from a DO that I talked with for one hour over his lunch break. I had not known him previously, just called him out of the phone book. I was accepted to the school he sent it to, so it must have been good enough.

6. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Member
    7+ Year Member

I was accepted at NYCOM without a DO letter.

7. AnnaMags

AnnaMags Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just another idea--

Have any of your family members gone to a DO? If so, that would be a good one to just go have a meeting with. Then they have some tie to you and can get to know you a little more personally. I did this for one of my letters. I brought a packet of information about myself to leave with the physician and simply asked if she would like to write me a letter. I included my resume, some essays, and all the forms. Definitely include why you want to go to Osteopathic school, etc. So they can have a lot to write about in the letter.

I think the DO letter does really help...especially, if it's being sent to their alma mater!

Good luck!