weight of the DO letter of Rec.??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spyyder31

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am REALLY scared about my letter form a DO. The absolute only time that I have to shadow will be this coming spring break, and in this short time I have to try to get the Doc to write me a "good letter." Why did I wait until now? There has been just no time. I work full time and go to school...as do many. but the way my schedule has panned out over the last three semesters is that I have only the weekends and some evenings free. Yet there are NO Do offices open around here after 5pm or on the weekends. Any one else have a similar problem? how much is the letter going to factor into the selection process???

Members don't see this ad.

A DO Letter of Rec. is required at many of the schools (ex: LECOM, NOVA). Some of the others recommend having a DO letter (ex: NYCOM, PCOM) and some don't mention too much or anything anything about it (ex:UNECOM, UMDNJ-SOM).

I applied to PCOM, UMDNJ-SOM, UNECOM, and NYCOM without a DO LOR. I was Interviewed and accepted at UNECOM, NYCOM, and UMDNJ-SOM.

I have pretty decent stats, a bunch ECs, and an MD LOR. You don't have to have the DO letter just consider what the rest of package looks like and where you want to apply.

spyyder,

I agree with the above poster. I would like to add that KCOM will also take an MD LOR on a case by case basis. I shadowed the DO that actually wrote my LOR for only a day. Of course we had known each other for some time, I just lived in a different state at the time and a day was all I could get together with him.

Don't stress too much over it. Get what time you can and make sure that s/he will write you a solid LOR. Your 'whole picture' is the key to success.

Ben

Members don't see this ad :)
MSUCOM and KCOM also do not require a DO recommendation. I got a LOR from a DO that I talked with for one hour over his lunch break. I had not known him previously, just called him out of the phone book. I was accepted to the school he sent it to, so it must have been good enough.

I was accepted at NYCOM without a DO letter.

Just another idea--

Have any of your family members gone to a DO? If so, that would be a good one to just go have a meeting with. Then they have some tie to you and can get to know you a little more personally. I did this for one of my letters. I brought a packet of information about myself to leave with the physician and simply asked if she would like to write me a letter. I included my resume, some essays, and all the forms. Definitely include why you want to go to Osteopathic school, etc. So they can have a lot to write about in the letter.

I think the DO letter does really help...especially, if it's being sent to their alma mater!

Good luck!