Weill Cornell Class of 2013!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MightyChip26

Officially Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
wcmc_logo.gif

We got accepted to Cornell! YES!

Members don't see this ad.

i know there are a few others out there who received the good news in December! Where are you guys?!!! :p

how were you notified of your acceptance ? Congrats!

AtG

Members don't see this ad :)
woo hoo so excited to see this thread! Can't wait to take over the upper east side!

I'm mad that you made this before I could, lol. I got the e-mail too! :) I had my coworker read the e-mail for me, and I shook him when I found out. Congrats all!

HoLa. How was your holiday season Mighty Chip?

It's still going! It aint over till it's over (i.e. until I go back to school on January 2nd). How about yours? You too Wolverine-- how are your holidays going?

Where are you guys from, btw? (City or state, or both?)

I'm from Miami.

It's still going! It aint over till it's over (i.e. until I go back to school on January 2nd). How about yours? You too Wolverine-- how are your holidays going?

Where are you guys from, btw? (City or state, or both?)

I'm from Miami.

Hey, I need to figure out how to keep track of all these threads. I'm new to SDN. I'm mad I didn't discover this sooner, like before I got into med school.

My holiday is going good. I'm sick right now though, have no clue how that happened right before New Years.

I'm from Ann Arbor, MI, though originally from Hawaii.

I just mailed in my acceptance letter to the office! (on New Years Eve, I know)

I mailed mine the other day and completed my FAFSA (amor de mi vida) last night lol hate that damn thing

Damn, I should get going on the FAFSA. Thank goodness my dad does it-- those things look like a pain to fill out.

anybody wish we were getting more info from Cornell?! I am so excited to learn/hear more. I also wish we had at least gotten a big package in the mail-- their small envelope was a little disappointing, BUT I'm still super excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
yea the e-mail was longer than the acceptance letter! I think I might make a trip over there in 2 weeks and harass some people. I'm excited tho I'm 99% sure I'm going there so this stressful process is OVER

I want a Weill Cornell shirt! or Pen! or Shorts! or Pin! or Hoodie! or ANYTHING in addition to the uber-short acceptance letter! If you manage to go, let them know that one of the other kids they accepted in December is also really looking forward to getting something else in the mail so they should really SEND SOMETHING! lol

My future friends! I'm going to Cornell too, I got my acceptance email last month. I am so happy:laugh::laugh::laugh:. I loved it there and I can't wait to move to NYC!

hey andy! so is Cornell your top choice or do you have a secret burning passion for another school? It's okay we won't tell Cornell hehe

Yes, Cornell was by far my favorite school that I interviewed at, although I do have one more interview at UCSF next week. Honestly when I was at Cornell I had a very distinct intuitive feeling that it was the right place for me.

ah! i want to join, but every1 is going to make a huge fuss about it at my school-- TRUST ME!

ah! i want to join, but every1 is going to make a huge fuss about it at my school-- TRUST ME!

BOY do I know how you feel! Sorry, Dr. Lys, I'm also gonna wait a few weeks to join your group (until after my friends are done with this cycle), but I will friend you on facebook. ;-)

btw, I'm also looking at other schools still, but I'm leaning more and more toward Cornell.

andylor said:
Yes, Cornell was by far my favorite school that I interviewed at, although I do have one more interview at UCSF next week. Honestly when I was at Cornell I had a very distinct intuitive feeling that it was the right place for me.

yep, felt the same way, and I can't describe what or why. I just know that it's tingly.

Wow we have our own thread, thanks for starting this! Congrats to all of you! This group will be great when it comes down to decision time in the spring. yeah... I'm not totally sure, although I canceled the rest of my interviews and all but 3 of my other open applications after hearing from Cornell Dec 20. I am also 95% sure I'm deferring a year for work and personal reasons... so that would make me potentially the first member of the Weill Cornell class of 2014!! Unless anyone else here is planning on deferring??

I haven't heard of difficulties, especially if one is doing something in the health field. Anyone heard otherwise?

I've never heard of problems getting deferrals, and I've met people who deferred to travel, work for a political campaign, etc, i.e. not just health related activities. I work in international public health, I doubt that they would have a problem. Of what I've seen most schools have a statement like Cornell's, and recognize the great value of taking time off to experience other fields, to join the working world outside of being a physician for those who haven't already, to live abroad, etc.

I had to post this here. I am in love with this photo AND Weill Cornell's campus! :)
I just went there this past week to shadow a surgeon who knew about my acceptance. It was AMAZING. Get excited people!

WMC-1.jpg

hello, i interview next week (tues) at cornell, any suggestions or advice?

I re-read my acceptance letter today LOL :D

weill cornell weill cornell weill cornell weill cornell weill cornell

ok im done.

:D

i interviewed today and i really liked the school. Never thought i would like it as much as i did. If i get in, i will prolly end up going. let's see what happens

I re-read my acceptance letter today LOL :D

weill cornell weill cornell weill cornell weill cornell weill cornell

ok im done.

:D

:love: love the enthusiasm! I have a countdown on my comp for second look weekend :D

i interviewed today and i really liked the school. Never thought i would like it as much as i did. If i get in, i will prolly end up going. let's see what happens

best of luck! :luck: Cornell is quite awesome

best of luck! :luck: Cornell is quite awesome

thanks!!!!!
im glad i got to interview before the interview cycle was over. I also like the fact that i dont have to wait much to find out. congrats on getting accepted though.

Ronald P. Stanton Gives $50 Million Toward Cancer Care at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital

Gift Establishes Ronald P. Stanton Clinical Cancer Program at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center

NEW YORK (Feb. 11, 2009) — NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital announced today that it has received a $50 million commitment from noted business leader, longtime supporter and Hospital Trustee Ronald P. Stanton. The gift will establish the Ronald P. Stanton Clinical Cancer Program at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, strengthening and expanding the Hospital's ability to provide patients with the very best cancer care.

"Philanthropic support for our Hospital's clinical and research programs is always important, but never more so than in these uncertain financial times. We are grateful to Ron Stanton for his outstanding record of support and generosity over many years, and for his latest gift that will do so much to enhance care for cancer patients," says John Mack, chairman of the Board of Trustees of NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.

Mr. Stanton has a long history of support for NewYork-Presbyterian. In total, he has contributed $75 million, mostly geared to the advancement of cancer care. His most recent philanthropy will help enhance the Hospital's radiation therapy capabilities by making possible the purchase and installation of state-of-the-art equipment, such as new linear accelerators. This new technology delivers radiation with amazing precision, while minimizing, even eliminating, damage to healthy tissue. The gift will allow for the creation of a cutting-edge infusion center with technologies including fast-track chairs for injections and apheresis chairs for whole-blood donations. It will also help recruit world-class physicians in various cancer specialties for further expansion of clinical programs and research initiatives.

His leadership has also helped make possible the modernization of the Hospital, including construction of the Greenberg Pavilion at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, the recruitment of cancer-related clinicians, and the establishment of an endowment for the Hospital's Lung Cancer Center. He has also supported rehabilitation medicine and the Iris Cantor Women's Health Center at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell, as well as urological fellows at Weill Cornell Medical College. Mr. Stanton joined the board of New York Hospital in 1983. And in the decade since the completion of the merger with The Presbyterian Hospital, he has been an active member of the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Board of Trustees.

"NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital is an enormous asset to the greater New York community with its outstanding staff and leadership," says Mr. Stanton. "It is a pleasure to help it carry out its mission by supporting the clinical cancer program. I hope that this contribution will encourage others to offer their financial support to the Hospital as well."

"A diagnosis of cancer can be devastating for patients and their families. This remarkable gift will help our Hospital keep its promise to provide the best available treatments in a comforting and compassionate environment," says Dr. Herbert Pardes, president and CEO of NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. "While the number of Americans dying from cancer has started to decline, there remains much more work to be done, and NewYork-Presbyterian will not stop fighting the war against cancer until it is won."

Mr. Stanton is the founder and chairman of Transammonia Inc. The company trades, distributes and transports fertilizer materials, liquefied petroleum gases and petrochemicals. Mr. Stanton has generously supported numerous educational and cultural organizations. In 1982, he received an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters from Yeshiva University.

NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell is a leader in cancer treatment, with accomplished programs across the clinical spectrum, notably including the Weill Cornell Breast Center; the Jay Monahan Center for Gastrointestinal Health; the Center for Lymphoma and Myeloma; the Leukemia and Myeloproliferative Disease Center; and the Robert M. Ellsworth Ophthalmic Oncology Center.

NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, located in New York City, is one of the leading academic medical centers in the world, comprising the teaching hospital NewYork-Presbyterian and Weill Cornell Medical College, the medical school of Cornell University. NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell provides state-of-the-art inpatient, ambulatory and preventive care in all areas of medicine, and is committed to excellence in patient care, education, research and community service. Weill Cornell physician-scientists have been responsible for many medical advances — from the development of the Pap test for cervical cancer to the synthesis of penicillin, the first successful embryo-biopsy pregnancy and birth in the U.S., the first clinical trial for gene therapy for Parkinson's disease, the first indication of bone marrow's critical role in tumor growth, and, most recently, the world's first successful use of deep brain stimulation to treat a minimally conscious brain-injured patient. NewYork-Presbyterian, which is ranked sixth on the U.S.News & World Report list of top hospitals, also comprises NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center, Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital of NewYork-Presbyterian, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Westchester Division and NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/The Allen Pavilion. Weill Cornell Medical College is the first U.S. medical college to offer a medical degree overseas and maintains a strong global presence in Austria, Brazil, Haiti, Tanzania, Turkey and Qatar. For more information, visit www.nyp.org and www.med.cornell.edu.