Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silver_eyes

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know this thread is in the middle east section but there are no responds, so i was wondering if i would get any hits here.

is this school CORNELL, like the ivy league school in NY?

How hard is it to get there?

Thanks~

Members don't see this ad.

are you kidding... even if it WAS affiliated, its would be a cheap back door way to get the ivy name in your med degree.

Originally posted by silver_eyes
i was wondering if i would get any hits here.

How hard is it to get there?

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by exmike
are you kidding... even if it WAS affiliated, its would be a cheap back door way to get the ivy name in your med degree.

yes or no?

Reactions: 1 user
Originally posted by ankitovich
:laugh:

oh God. why do i even bother?

WHY DOU GUYS HATE ME SO MUCH?

YES, it is affiliated. I was looking for a job at Cornell and they had a lot of postings for ones in Qatar. Anyway, I don't think you can actually matriculate there, but I'm sure you can work there or do some international study there b/c they are affiliated. I saw the whole story about this on "60 minutes" . So the King of Qatar is trying to be very progressive, and because they have a bunch of oil there in Qatar, they are stinkin' rich. They also have a friendly relationship with the US. Anyway, the government of Qatar allowed Cornell to set up a medical school and research center there for free as long as they gaurantee the same quality education that they give in America.

I'm sure that Weill's website would have more info

Hey! Leave silver eyes alone!

Why do you guys keep on harassing her? Maybe you guys are just jealous of her, b/c of all the passion, dedication and drive she has to become a doctor.

GROW UP!

No no don't get me wrong I'm not hating on SE, I just found the question funny. We've had our struggles with her but you know after hearing how well she's been doing at school lately I am really proud of her, and those of us who have typed our fingers thin to help her in the past can feel confident that she'll be well on her way to a U.S. medical school if she keeps on keeping on. :thumbup:

Awwwww damn. Now I feel bad.

Wow...Cornell in Qatar? I know of Columbia's affiliation with a Israeli univeristy at Ben Gurion, but Cornell in Qatar is definitely new to me.

I called Cornell myself about a month ago... I talked to the dean of admissions. She said that Cornell IS in Qatar, already and this coming up fall will be the first year...

I asked how AMA will view the school... She said it was hard to tell... but they would not recognize the school as a US med school without seeing the students... However, if they do, it will be a first for a school outside the border of the US to be considered as US medical school... For sure, it will be recognized as an international medical school, but are we going any further, we don't know yet before the school starts its programs...

Does it have affiliation? Yes from Cornell...

I hope that helps..

Members don't see this ad :)
the school in qatar is not an affiliate of cornell... it is cornell. i went a visited over the winter break, and it is an unbelievable campus. very high tech.
the diploma you get is no different from the one you get in new york, and therefore it isn't going to be much easier to get that the one from new york. they do say that they'll be trying to guarantee residencies for the first class that graduates because it'll be tough for them otherwise, and it may be easier to get in the first year or so, but space is very limited and admission is open to all so competition is still very tough. qatari residents are given first preferrence as long as they're qualified

I am interested to apply there as long as the University considered U.S. medical school, and my MD says from Cornell. How about getting residency, rotation, financial aid, loans and so on?

Before everybody jumps on the Cornell Qatar bandwagon, let me bring you guys back down to earth for a moment:

1) The primary mission of this school is to train Qatari, not american doctors.

2) Only a few slots will go to Americans.

3) Cornell will NOT gain status as an "american" med school.

4) Cornell does not NEED to gain status as an american med school.

5) The people in Qatar who approved this program want this medical school to be a true Qatari medical school, not some kind of commuter school in which all the grads run off to America upon graduation.

6) Qatar doesnt have a single medical school in the whole country. If Cornell-Qatar starts sending its grads to the United States, they will quickly lose favor with the Qatari govt who allowed them to come there in the first place.

7) Out of all of Cornell-Qatar's med students, at most only 10% or so will be Americans. So this is not going to be some kind of backdoor way to practice medicine in America.

I recieved a brochure about the school and yes it is Cornell. Your MD says Cornell, it is Cornell faculty and you take the USMLE. You should have no problems with Residency Match like you would at Ross and St. George. But yes it is Cornell I couldn't believe it until I called them myself. I hope that helps.

From : http://med.cornell.edu/qatar/admissions/med_faqs.html

Q ? What are the average university grades of successful applicants?
A ? We apply the same high standards at Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar as those applied at our home campus in New York. The mean science Grade Point Average (GPA) for this year?s entering class at WCMC-NY was 3.69 out of 4. However, our Committee on Admissions recognizes that, for a variety of reasons, grades alone are not reliable indicators of applicant capability to excel in the field of medicine. For this reason, our decisions take into account a range of other important factors, such as the personal qualities of applicants, evidence of their interest in the field of medicine, and reports of multiple interviews before offering a place at WCMC-Q.

If this hold truth then there is no reason to expect that getting into Cornells Qatar campus will be easy. I think some people that thought that the Cornell Qatar SOM is easier to gain admission - are dead wrong.

Q ? I was "rejected" for the 2004 admissions to WCMC in NY, can I still apply for the MD program in Qatar?
A ? No

Hmmm ... interesting!

Q ? Are applicants from the United States (or from China, Russia, South Africa, etc.) eligible for admission?
A ? Yes. Cornell University is committed to administer all educational policies and activities, including admissions, without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethic origin, age, handicap, or gender.

Notice that sexual orientation is not listed. If you search on the web you will find some complains from Cornell students about the discrimination of gay people in Qatar. Just something to think about.

Also i don't see why anyone would want to move to Qatar just for med school. Especially those who don't speak Arabic.

Anyway i think that some people think this as a backdoor to a Cornell degree and it seems that i doesn't work that way.

Originally posted by Tezzie
Cornell University is committed to administer all educational policies and activities, including admissions, without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethic origin, age, handicap, or gender.
[/B]

Cmon Cornell, you know thats a flat out lie. In the other section of the website, it SPECIFICALLY STATES THAT Qatari citzens are given PREFERENCE in admissions.

This reminds me of the word games universities play when they insist they dont use discrimination and are equal opportunity, but then also claim that they are an "affirmative action" institution.

If Qatari citizens are given even 1 extra "point" in the admissions process, then you CAN NOT in good faith claim that you dont discriminate on the basis of national origin.

hey,

well i am a sophmore at Baylor University, i was accepted about 2 years ago into Qatar's first class of pre med students after visiting i thought it wasnt for me, its about 30 minutes away from the main city of Doha, basically if i could put my 2 cents u will be paying the same tuition as New York, but thats not the issue if ur looking for a name go elsewhere, having lived in the gulf for most of my life and b/c i know how to speak arabic i feel as a american i could fit in, remember most of ur class will be Qatari and there will be language and cultural barriers, ya it would be cool but who wants to go to a new med school that hasnt even established itself sure its cornell but its in Qatar, to me it seemed like u were in it for the name thats not the way u should go about it, its in freakin qatar for gods sake have u been there lol, its not miami or LA

lates

and as for americans getting in although they say same requirements as the one in New york that is complete bull
u gotta look at it this way

600,000 is qatars population
25% is qatari
how many are leigible to go to medschool
even bigger question how many want to go to med school
or drive their benzs around
also u gotta look at the fact that they will be acceptin alot of non qataris cause most qataris if not all if my knowledge of the gulf is correct will be 100% paid for by the gov if it isnt there are alot of med schools in the ME for much less and in the GULF u get paid on the basis of ur passport not what medschool u went to so will it be easier to get into i think YES, and even easier for arab americans - B) is it worth it - not yet i wouldnt want to be the guinea pig - C) would i go - if i got rejected from every american medschool D) Why - NOT ENOUGH HOT WOMEN

:horns: :horns: :horns: :horns: :horns:

The cornell branch in qatar will be looked at as a international program and you will not match with the same priority as ny cornell graduates in the match program.

The program is intended for qatari citizens and people from the region wanting to practice there. That is why Qatar forked out 750 million, and not to pump out US graduates. Too much anti-american sentiment over there right now. Rotations will be done in Middle Eastern hospitals.

Hope this sheds some light.

Also even though you can take the USMLE like you can from any medical school listed in WHO. They do not prepare you at all for the USMLE.

kash_711 said:
and as for americans getting in although they say same requirements as the one in New york that is complete bull
u gotta look at it this way

C) would i go - if i got rejected from every american medschool D) Why - NOT ENOUGH HOT WOMEN

:horns: :horns: :horns: :horns: :horns:

ahaha....OMG....i bet most of those hot women are already engaged or married...but back to the subjkect: you really think its easy to get into the cornell med school in qatar than in new york? Damn! But then again, i have been to dubai it is like an oven in there....i wouldn't wanna be burned and all red and crap If i go there. Do they give preference to muslims?? i asked them and they said no....but who knows....

Q ? As a graduate of WCMC-Q, how may I obtain a license to practice medicine in the United States? A ? Students and graduates of the Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar will be eligible to undergo the United States Medical Licensing Examination ( USMLE? ) under the rules established by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates ( ECFMG ). The USMLE is the sole examination system for United States medical students and graduates as well as for international medical graduates seeking medical licensure in the United States.

if u go to cornell qatar, u will be a foreign medical graduate...holla!