Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The current Emir has sunk ALOT of money into the modernization of Qatar. His (main) wife was instrumental in wooing many American universities and getting them to open "sattelite Campuses" in Doha.

You should read the FAQ on the website though. The school heavily favors Qatari nationals and you will still be and IMG.

As a graduate of WCMC-Q, may I obtain a license to practice medicine in the United States?

Students and graduates of the Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar are eligible to take the United States Medical Licensing Examination ( USMLE ) through the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG ). The USMLE is the sole examination system for students and graduates of both US and foreign medical colleges who seek medical licensure. International medical graduates (IMGs) are thus not required to undergo a separate licensing examination.

Why are graduates of WCMC-Q considered IMGs (International Medical Graduates)?
Anyone who graduates from a medical school whose location is outside of the geographic boundaries of the United States or Canada is considered an International Medical Graduate (IMG). Cornell is the first American university to step outside of these geographic limits by establishing a medical program and by awarding its MD degree. Thus WCMC-Q students will be the only IMGs with US medical degrees.

http://www.qatar-med.cornell.edu/ad...Select&name2=FAQ%91s&type2=3Active#Question24

The first classes matches in 2008. It will be interesting to see how they do.

Not to mention, no Fin Aid. Unless you wanna apply to the Qatari Gov't (and let me tell you.. gooood luck haha).
BTW, Harvard is opening up in Dubai.. I'd wait for that one if you insist on going to the Middle East

Members don't see this ad :)
isn't there a columbia program in israel?

I would feel lost in any society in stark contrast to the one I grew up in, which leads me to believe that I would feel lost in translation in such a school.

It's really not that bad. Granted Qatar is not the most Western-washed country of the Middle East (you're better off in Dubai where it's almost like being in every country in the world all at once, or better yet--Lebanon-- where nearly everyone is french-washed .. although now isn't the best time for the poor ex-Paris of the middle east with the political turmoil).
Anyway.. aside from the lack of alcohol and bars, it's not that much diff. You can always drive over to Bahrain for entertainment.. no bars I imagine..
Ok so I guess it is reeally diff in that respect heh.
Anyway, for anyone that isn't particular about the IMG status and wants a quasi-ivy league degree, it's a damn good deal. I woulda done it if I could piss cash.