Weill Cornell vs. UCSF/Berkeley JMP vs. Mount Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

askin4afrand

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi world,

I'm narrowing down my med school decision ahead of the April 30th deadline and could use some advice. I've been fortunate enough to get accepted at Weill Cornell, the Joint Medical Program at UCSF/Berkeley, and Mount Sinai. All second looks have been cancelled this year and I've got absolutely no clue which to go with. I know I'm lucky to have gotten into these programs and I don't mean to boast about them by any means. I'm just really at a loss. Since I'm from New York City and went to college upstate, a move to California would mean living across the country from my closest friends and family, and SO (long distance never works out so am I just setting us up to break up?). That being said, the UCSF/Berkeley program has a really health equity/social justice-oriented curriculum, and I'm looking to work in underserved (mostly Spanish-speaking) communities throughout my career. I'm tentatively interested in OB/GYN because I want to address maternal health disparities among Latin women.

My main hold up for Weill Cornell is that its pretty disconnected from health disparities work, for JMP is that it would be a cross-country move away from my support network, and Mount Sinai is that its the lowest ranked out of the three.

Here are the pros/cons of each, any and all thoughts would be most welcome:

Weill Cornell:

Pros: #9 medical school, robust global health program, human rights clinic, access to underserved communities in outer-boroughs, near friends, SO and family (all huge!)

Cons: Nothing new environment-wise, the school is very hoity-toity (on the Upper East Side in Manhattan, so most of the patients they serve are insured/wealthy), very research-intense when I'm looking for a more primary care education, worried that clinical skills won't be emphasized (strikes me as the kind of place that has a lot of money for research but med students aren't expected to know how to take BP)

UCSF/Berkeley Joint Medical Program

Pros: #4 medical school, health equity curriculum, robust clinical skills, small cohort (JMP = 16 people for the 2.5 years at UCSF), great outdoors, seems really supportive and close-knit, could practice driving (lol), could use native Spanish skills when working with underserved Latino communities, adventure of a new place

Cons: Cross-country move (I've spent approx 5 days in California so moving to SF seems like a total black box), involves a masters which I wouldn't really pursue otherwise, would probably mean long-distance or breaking up with my SO

Mount Sinai

Pros: social justice-oriented, great student clinic in a Spanish-speaking neighborhood, seems like a tight-knit group of people

Cons: lowest-ranked by about 10 slots, nothing new about the environment (20 minutes away from my house)

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on how serious you are with the SO I’d choose UCSF/Berkeley. Otherwise I’d go with Cornell

Reactions: 1 user
Unless I'm blind, is cost not a factor here? :unsure:
If you're low income, the cost differential between Cornell and these other schools is probably going to be palpable.

If cost isnt a factor, it reads like you want to go to UCSF. SO won't move? Literally being across the country will be tough. I'm big on "get up, get out, and experience life." 4 years in SF is hugely different from NY and arguably the best time of your career. Residency will be longer and Cali cost is crazy on that salary. Just match back into NY after Cali if that's your end goal.

I also don't believe that is a fair assessment of the clinical education you receive at Cornell, but I understand and agree with the rest of what you said lol.

Cornell if they put up the money, UCSF if they don't

Cornell to be debt-free, stay close to family and SO, get best set up for whatever you want to do, and still have access to different underserved communities in NYC (I'm not sure about details, but I am positive there is a way since many of your classmates will certainly have a social justice interest) even if the main hospital serves wealthier patients.

Edit: If you are not serious about your SO, UCSF!

Seriously, Cornell is debt-free now. Am I missing something or is cost not a factor for you? UCSF sounds like a better fit for you, but that Bay Area CoL, distance from my SO, and the fact that you could still work with the underserved at Cornell (You might just have to put a little more effort in to find opportunities) makes WC the better choice for me. I'm cost averse though. Good luck!

I should mention that it’s almost a full ride to UCSF, so cost between the two isn’t really a factor. Does that change anyone’s calculus?

Remember this is a med school decision and not a residency.
Based on what you wrote. Decide based on geography!

San Fran is fantastic and differs from NY in weather and outdoor activity proximity plus a bigger melting pot variety. While NY is a melting pot, it seems to have a much more east coast/NY common denominator.

Pick Cornell, you can match anywhere you want later and keep proximity to SO and family. However, If you want west coast career (huge Mexican population), while you can match there from Cornell, why not rip off the band aide and start with UCSF now?

UCSF/JMP is a great place to be since you'll be with 15 ppl who have the same interests, but I found the PBL-only curriculum and how disconnected it is from the main UCSF class to be off-putting. If you find yourself wanting to permanently settle in the West Coast I would go to UCSF. Also, I would consider the practicality of the master's degree from JMP as it is not a professional degree like an MPH/MBA/MHA, makes it useless imo. UCSF is probably tied with UW for being the best places to train as a primary care physician imo, there's just so many resources and it's heavily emphasized.

Weill Cornell definitely has health disparities work, but it does come off in a way that it is a bit overshadowed due to the school's big research prowess (MSKCC/HSS). It seems like the diversity initiatives are serious there if you look into their pipeline and outreach programs. I feel like people undervalue the significance of a support system, so that's something to keep in mind. Also, look at the match list from this year and you'll see a lot of folks matched into family medicine. I disagree that Cornell is a place where clinical skills are not emphasized.

I would go to Weill Cornell. I've had a discussion with UCSF friends in the regular MD program and UCSF/JMP is just so different.

Last edited: