Weill Cornell vs UPenn Perelman vs Columbia VP&S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justaregularguy

Reaction score
Hey all, I would really appreciate any thoughts you have because I'm having a really hard time deciding between these schools (I'm really lucky to even have these options). My heart is telling me Cornell, but I'm not sure. ALSO I'm getting almost a full-ride at all these schools (super low cost of attendance, so it's not really a factor in my decision)

Cornell Pros:
  • NYC is very cool
  • Small class size would help me learn more effectively and get more attention from faculty and admin
  • AMAZING RESEARCH at Weill Cornell, MSKCC, HSS, Rockefeller - I'm really interested in research and will probably take a 5th year to do research
  • Interested in oncology and cancer - MSKCC is a powerhouse
  • Close to home (I'm from NJ) - friends and family support system; really nice location on the UES; good opportunities to match in NYC and East Coast
  • On-campus housing makes for a really nice sense of community - I actually like the first-year dorms and upper-year housing is nice too
  • Good vibe from students
  • Amazing list of extracurriculars - the center for human rights for asylum medicine and the heart to heart program
  • Actually quite like the weekly quizzes since I'm a procrastinator
  • Really cool abroad opportunities in M4
  • Dr. Fauci went here LOL
Cornell Cons:
  • Slightly worse match-list???
  • Heard it kinda has a competitive vibe
  • AOA before residency apps
  • Not as "prestigious"
  • Not too much outdoor space

UPenn Pros:
  • Still pretty close to home and my support system + Philly seems cool but I have only been a few times
  • Great research in cancer and immunology
  • Access to CHOP and new hospital being built
  • Best match list and AOA after residency apps (so it really doesn't matter much)
  • I like the one university policy and the overall vibe at the school
  • Good global health program and seems like a more well-rounded education
  • Focus on small group learning
UPenn Cons:
  • No on-campus housing - so weaker sense of community and will have to apartment hunt
  • Large class size
  • Students seem kinda "bro-y"
  • Fewer labs that I think are really cool
  • Not NYC
  • Don't know anybody in Philly

Columbia Pros:
  • NYC is very cool
  • The school seems really good and really chill - the new Education building look amazing (better facilities)
  • Lots of opportunities through the P&S club
  • Great research in cancer and neuroscience
  • The admin seems really supportive and all the faculty that I've talked to are really nice
  • Good vibe from students
Columbia Cons:
  • The Washington Heights neighborhood seems kinda meh
  • A little far away from downtown
  • Fewer opportunities for computational research and the research doesn't seem as good as at UPenn and Cornell
  • Larger class size
  • Housing seems okay

I look forward to hearing from you all! Any insight or further info is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It's sounding like you'd prefer living in NYC since it's closer to your support system than Philadelphia is. These schools are all fantastic and if you really enjoyed Cornell more than the others, I'd vote for going there.

It seems like what you really want is some affirmation here, so I'm here to tell you that you should follow your gut and go to Cornell. Don't let the perceived slight increase in prestige at Columbia and Penn pull you away from what's honestly a perfect fit for you based on what you wrote.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you in computational research? Doesn't UPenn have strong computational research?

Members don't see this ad :)
You put best match list as a pro for Penn, and they do have an incredible match list, but so does Columbia. And I'm not familiar with Cornell's but I'm sure they do too. Remember also how much personal preference affects things.

Also what do you mean by "bro-y" Penn students hahaha

Prestige should not factor into this decision. There is ZERO tangible difference in prestige between the 3 schools.

Reactions: 2 users
You clearly like NYC more than Philly, and Cornell the most out of the 3. Prices are equal, so go with your gut.