Weird Academic History

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rejina

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm new and I'm seriously considering a career in dentistry...however I'm afraid that I'm far from the ideal candidate. I totally wrecked my freshman year in college due to some emotional trauma I experienced my senior year of high school (I had three people who were close to me die of cancer, suicide, and heart problems over a course of nine months). I decided to seek some help so I took a medical withdrawl to get treatment for my depression and took classes at a local community college where I did well (I think 3.5 total and all A's in my general bio and chem classes). After a year and a half at the community college I decided to go back to my university and went back only to promptly fall back on my face when my father had a heart attack and I was afflicted with a painful skin disorder where I had lesions/rashes cover a large portion of my legs and arms). I think right now overall alltogether with my university and comm. college altogether I barely have a 3.0.

I'm going to take physics and organic chem this upcoming school year and than I planned on applying to dental schools the year after that but my question is do you guys think that with my problematic academic record I should even try to get into a dental school or should I wait to see how I do this following year before deciding anything? Furthermore will the fact that I took some of my requirements at a community college hurt my chances....and if you guys think it would depend on the school can anybody recommend a school thats more flexible in the admissions policies.

(Sorry about the lengthy explanation but I like to give as much background as possible when I ask people for advice).

Members don't see this ad.

Just pm'd you

to Rejina:

If all of the complications you went through are documented and can be verified (such as a letter from your doctor explaining that you had been diagnosed and successfully treated for depression), these are mitigating circumstances which dental school admissions committees would take into account.

Obviously you are doing something right if you are able to maintain a 3.0 average despite all your troubles. I'd say just keep doing what you are doing and try your best to raise your GPA, do good on the DAT, and your chances for getting into a dental school would be pretty good.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Rejina,
Try to finish strong and remember that a great DAT score can be your saving grace!
I really admire your determination. I remember feeling overwhelmed and being sidetracked by problems in college. It makes getting that admission letter that much better because you've been through some tough stuff and still succeeded. Hang in there.....it'll pay off.