weird case

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted802724

i ended up with a pretty “bad” gpa of around 3.4.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming you have a 510, which I think is "average" for MD, a 3.4 is a little on the low side. Your state school would probably still take a look at your application. You still have a chance if you apply very broadly and perhaps consider DO. Also be aware that your undergraduate institution carries little weight with most schools other than the top MD programs in the country, and your GPA makes that a bit of a moot point.

Of course, this all depends on what you mean by an "average" MCAT. If you literally mean average (ie, 500), you have no chance at MD and very little chance at DO.

I agree with almost everything, but take a look at the underdog threads on the DO forum. Lots of ~500s/~3.4s making it in somewhere.

i go to a fairly good school in US.
but unforutanltey, i ended up with a pretty “bad” gpa of around 3.4. I have done about 1000 hours of volunteering on the other hand and have had a lot of leadership positions. What are my options now? I scored average on mcat as well. should i try to take a gap year? masters? should i just apply? Would my gpa just make me screened out regardless of all my activities?

I love this typo.

Reactions: 5 users
What did your gpa look like from year to year? Do you have any discernible trend?

You're not out of the running for MD schools but choice of schools to apply to here is very important. Your list should be balanced and not top-heavy. As a word of encouragement, the acceptance rate across the entire applicant pool for applicants with a 30-32 MCAT and 3.4-3.59 GPA is 46.5% and 3.2-3.39 is 34.5%. This is a population average, so it doesn't say much about your case specifically but it does say that you have a shot at MD schools but you need to choose those schools wisely.

A lot depends on how exceptional those ECs are. And how compelling of a PS / secondary essays you can write. Was it like, 1000 hours of sweeping the floors at hospitals? Or 1000 hours of nursing sick, homeless babies with HIV back to health?

Do you live in a lucky state, like KS, AR or FL? If so, you're probably still OK.

You're fine for any DO school, including mine.

Any upward GPA trends???

i go to a fairly good school in US.
but unforutanltey, i ended up with a pretty “bad” gpa of around 3.4. I have done about 1000 hours of volunteering on the other hand and have had a lot of leadership positions. What are my options now? I scored average on mcat as well. should i try to take a gap year? masters? should i just apply? Would my gpa just make me screened out regardless of all my activities?

Reactions: 1 user