Weird Clinical Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phile98

perpetually worried about the road not taken...
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a project with a doctor where I will be studying a particular aspect of healthcare. I'll be seeing patient interactions and how things work around the hospital. Eventually, I hope to produce a product out of my experience. I was wondering if this counted towards clinical experience. It's not your ordinary scribing, research, or assisting, but it's something that I think is meaningful. For what it's worth, I'm applying next cycle and have ~100 hours of clinical experience in another setting.

Members don't see this ad.

Appears to be shadowing. If you learn what a doctor's day is like and how s/he approaches the practice of Medicine, this is what med schools want to see out of you.
Thanks for your response. If this is more of shadowing, it looks like I'll have around ~200 hours of shadowing by the time I apply. If I also have a 100 hours of clinical experience, should I be focusing on getting more clinical or do this shadowing project?
I'm looking to do the most meaningful thing and I guess this shadowing to me is more meaningful than scribing, but med schools may not think this.

Thanks for your response. If this is more of shadowing, it looks like I'll have around ~200 hours of shadowing by the time I apply. If I also have a 100 hours of clinical experience, should I be focusing on getting more clinical or do this shadowing project?
I'm looking to do the most meaningful thing and I guess this shadowing to me is more meaningful than scribing, but med schools may not think this.
Focus on patient contact experience. Shadowing is a passive experience.

You need to show Adcoms that you know what you're getting into and that you really want to be around sick people for the 30-40 years

Reactions: 1 user