Weird LOR requirements for DMU and PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the LOR requirements for DMU? I think I read something about a clinical supervisor but I won't be able to get one of those.

Also, I noticed PCOM requires a letter from the dean. How the hell am I supposed to get this? I have never even seen the guy.

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think you HAVE to get a letter from the dean unless you dont have a premed advisor or dont know your academic advisor etc.

http://www.pcom.edu/Admissions/adm_app_process/adm_DO/adm_do.html
"Applicants are required to submit a letter of recommendation from the premedical committee or premedical advisor of the undergraduate college that grants or will grant a bachelor's degree, regardless of your academic major, course of study or graduation. If that is not possible, a letter from your academic advisor or Dean of the same institution may substitute. Another letter of recommendation, preferably from an osteopathic physician, is suggested but is not required."

If you do have to get one from the Dean, you would be surprised how easy it is. I was an Ambassador for my undergrad and I helped the Dean with stuff like this all the time. Call the Dean's secretary and get an appointment. Go prepared with a resume, your transcript, your personal statement, a list of ecs, etc (any info you think might be helpful). Then, at your appointment, explain that you need a letter and ask for one. The Dean will usually do a little interview and then will take the info (it was especially helpful when people made a coverletter with exactly what they need, where it needs to be sent, by when, etc), and write the letter. It can take some time though so make sure you give them plenty of time but GIVE A DEADLINE. Some people didnt give deadlines and they would get bumped back a bit if others came up that had deadlines approaching. You getting into medical school looks good on your undergrad so they are generally pretty easy to work with as long as you are prepared and know what you need. Good luck.

JKDMed said:
Anyone know the LOR requirements for DMU? I think I read something about a clinical supervisor but I won't be able to get one of those.

I'm not sure if it's different now, but when I applied last year, the requirement was a letter from somebody who can attest to any clinical experience you might have. It didn't even specify MD/DO. I didn't have one of those, so I asked if I could substitute a letter from the PI (a PhD) that I had worked with for the past 2 years, and they accepted it. I believe the other letters should be academic ones, from your professors.

Members don't see this ad :)
PCOM does require a letter from the dean, and it's what kept me from finishing my app there.

I am in at PCOM and they DO NOT require a letter from the dean if you have a letter either from a comittee or chair of the pre-med. From what I understand this is so that they have a letter that is drawn from other faculty recomendations. A cover letter written by someone else if you will. I know that where I ddi my post-bac we had to get profs to write letters to teh comittee on our behalf and the composit letter from the comittee was based upon these.

nicedream-if you didn't finish your PCOM app b/c you didn't have a letter from the dean, then you misread the instructions. as someone posted the instructions before, you don't need it. my advisors wrote mine as a committee, that's all they wanted.

JKDMed said:

Also, I noticed PCOM requires a letter from the dean. How the hell am I supposed to get this? I have never even seen the guy.

Email PCOM and tell them you can't get the dean. I wrote them and they said I could substitute a pre-med advisory letter in place of the dean's.

You're all right, I remembered mistakenly. The situation was I didn't apply through my school's committee, so I didn't have a letter from them and couldn't get one from the advisor (wouldn't want one anyway). Sorry for the minsinformation.

I'm like nicedream... I didn't finish my PCOM app because of that STUPID letter. I hate my advisor, and the premed advisors at my campus... so there was no way I was getting a letter from them. I asked them if I could get a letter from my Psi Chi advisor (psychology frat), but they said NO! Its okay, I didn't want to go there anyways! :p

I didn't apply either to PCOM because of the requirement. They require either a letter from the dean or your premedical committee. I didn't have a letter from either so I just didn't apply. I think they lose a lot of applicants just because of their odd requirement.