Weird Scores from Computer MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoomsy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I just wrote the April 2005 computer MCAT in Boston. I got an 11 Ph, 10 Bio and 3 Ver.

I still can't believe I got a 3 in verbal! The percentile range is 1-3% which technically makes me ******ed.

During the verbal part of the exam I had an error message show up saying "hard disk is full would you like to empty the recycle bin?" I didn't know what to make of it so I just hit escape and continued. I went to the ladies in the control centre after and told them what happen. They said it's ok no problem without looking at a computer screen. So I thought nothing of it.

Now I have a feeling that maybe most of my answered weren't recorded. It has to be the only reason.

Can anyone give me any advice? I've wrote an e-mail to MCAT...no reponse yet. Should I write the exam again? I have my application ready to be sent...

Would schools consider me with a 3?

Has anyone else seen someone with such lopsided MCAT scores?

Thanks

Hoomsy

Members don't see this ad.

hoomsy said:
Hey,

I just wrote the April 2005 computer MCAT in Boston. I got an 11 Ph, 10 Bio and 3 Ver.

I still can't believe I got a 3 in verbal! The percentile range is 1-3% which technically makes me ******ed.

During the verbal part of the exam I had an error message show up saying "hard disk is full would you like to empty the recycle bin?" I didn't know what to make of it so I just hit escape and continued. I went to the ladies in the control centre after and told them what happen. They said it's ok no problem without looking at a computer screen. So I thought nothing of it.

Now I have a feeling that maybe most of my answered weren't recorded. It has to be the only reason.

Can anyone give me any advice? I've wrote an e-mail to MCAT...no reponse yet. Should I write the exam again? I have my application ready to be sent...

Thanks

Hoomsy

1-3 percentile in VR with 80-90th percentile in the other sections?!?! :eek:

Here is a possible theory: the error message that popped up explicitly told you that the hard disk was full. This message probably popped up after you submitted answers to a particular passage or section... Now, the answers you were recording were probably supposed to be written to the hard disk on the computer, but since the disk was full at some point, your answers probably WERE NOT recorded thereafter. Your response to the error message - hitting escape - basically was the same thing as hitting "No" or "Cancel" - meaning the recycle bin WAS NOT EMPTIED, meaning disk space WAS NOT freed up on the drive, leaving you no hard disk space to record your verbal answers on. If you had answered "yes", then chances are the recycle bin would have been emptied, thus freeing up hard disk space and enabling the computer to record your verbal reasoning answers...

The baffling thing about this theory is the fact that your biological sciences score seems normal, so obviously at that point the computer was able to record your answers, and the BS section is *after* the verbal section... Maybe you brought up the technical error during your lunch break, and the proctors/technicians fixed it??

Anyway, you are indeed in quite an odd dilemma, but honestly I think there is probably a technical fault underlining your poor verbal score :( You should consider contacting the AAMC and having them void the score, and then retake the test in paper format.

Sorry you had the misfortune of encountering this ordeal! :smuggrin: I wish you all the best in your future endeavours!

crazy_cavalier said:
1-3 percentile in VR with 80-90th percentile in the other sections?!?! :eek:

Here is a possible theory: the error message that popped up explicitly told you that the hard disk was full. This message probably popped up after you submitted answers to a particular passage or section... Now, the answers you were recording were probably supposed to be written to the hard disk on the computer, but since the disk was full at some point, your answers probably WERE NOT recorded thereafter. Your response to the error message - hitting escape - basically was the same thing as hitting "No" or "Cancel" - meaning the recycle bin WAS NOT EMPTIED, meaning disk space WAS NOT freed up on the drive, leaving you no hard disk space to record your verbal answers on. If you had answered "yes", then chances are the recycle bin would have been emptied, thus freeing up hard disk space and enabling the computer to record your verbal reasoning answers...

The baffling thing about this theory is the fact that your biological sciences score seems normal, so obviously at that point the computer was able to record your answers, and the BS section is *after* the verbal section... Maybe you brought up the technical error during your lunch break, and the proctors/technicians fixed it??

Anyway, you are indeed in quite an odd dilemma, but honestly I think there is probably a technical fault underlining your poor verbal score :( You should consider contacting the AAMC and having them void the score, and then retake the test in paper format.

Sorry you had the misfortune of encountering this ordeal! :smuggrin: I wish you all the best in your future endeavours!

That's what I was thinking. How could my writing section and my Bio section still be recorded. Maybe they did do something during the break. I left the building and had lunch outside for an hour.

I really want to go to either Umass, Tufts or BU. They're all rolling admission schools. If I write the August MCAT I will be at a super disadvantage. I'm ready to submit my application now. My GPA is 3.9 (undergrad) and I'm right now in a masters program in engineering. Then my other stuff is really good too, with tons of volunteering, working and publications.

This really chaps my ass.

Any comments?

You'll be at a disadvantage if you take the August MCAT, sure, but not as much as if you apply with a 3 in VR. Definitely contact the AAMC and ask about it (though if your proctors didn't document it they might not believe you) and register for August.

Members don't see this ad :)
Kazema said:
You'll be at a disadvantage if you take the August MCAT, sure, but not as much as if you apply with a 3 in VR. Definitely contact the AAMC and ask about it (though if your proctors didn't document it they might not believe you) and register for August.

I wrote the MCAT back in 2003. I didn't really prepare for it and I got a 6 in Verbal. So some schools like Umass, Tufts and BU will take ur Best scores if you write it twice.

So do you think with a 11 Ph, 10 bio and 6 verbal and very strong GPA and application I would have a shot?.....

My issue is...I feel like I have a better chance to get into my state school if I send it NOW then waiting till October for the August results.

There's no way I got a 3. All my practice tests were between 8-10 in verbal.

Thanks

Hoomsy

hoomsy said:
Hey,

Thanks

Hoomsy

What e-mail....call 'em up.

RayhanS1282 said:
What e-mail....call 'em up.

There's no number to call Thomson Prometric. They're the ones who mark the computer MCAT. The only way to contact them is through e-mail. I've tried a bunch of other numbers trying to get their MCAT number!

Hoomsy

hoomsy said:
That's what I was thinking. How could my writing section and my Bio section still be recorded. Maybe they did do something during the break. I left the building and had lunch outside for an hour.

I really want to go to either Umass, Tufts or BU. They're all rolling admission schools. If I write the August MCAT I will be at a super disadvantage. I'm ready to submit my application now. My GPA is 3.9 (undergrad) and I'm right now in a masters program in engineering. Then my other stuff is really good too, with tons of volunteering, working and publications.

This really chaps my ass.

Any comments?

I smell conspiracy... if they fixed it during the hour lunch break, you should have been informed of what was done!!! :eek:

As for the rolling admissions... I'm not sure what to tell you. I understand your desire to start right away because of the mechanics of rolling admissions. First, a quick question: is this your first time applying? Or rather, your first time applying to those schools? If it is indeed your first time applying to them, I would advise you to go ahead and apply to just these three: UMass, Tufts, and BU... (and Harvard too, if you want to go ahead and apply to all the MA schools ;) .) It can't possibly hurt you to test out the waters with those scores - although fair warning, some schools automatically stop reviewing applications if an individual applies to that school three or more times - so take heed and make sure you won't wind up in that position... anyway, DEFINITELY include an addendum or attachment to your application file explaining the circumstances of your test day and arguing about your practice test performance. All the other aspects of your app seem outstanding - research publications, EC's / volunteering, great GPA, a master's in engineering (and hopefully an awesome personal statement and great LOR's)... honestly I think if they look past the 3 in the VR, which they really ought to do, you will make it. At the very least, you should get some interviews, and you'll have that chance to talk about it, and also to show your other qualities, and that's part of what will get you accepted and what will make you a great doc.

If, in the end, for whatever reason, these three schools don't grant you an acceptance this cycle, then that's a-okay for now and you can a.) ask them why, and b.) retake the mcat next year in April - no worries! Just take the paper test, kick its @ss, and reapply. I bet you anything when they see you improve (and you undoubtedly will!!) that will play hugely in your favor.

Anyway, that's just me, or what I would do... I don't think I would push to take the August MCAT and still apply this cycle. With rolling admissions, you do not want to do yourself that sort of disservice. I know of a girl who was actually told that she would have been accepted to the U. of Washington, if only she had gotten her app in just a little bit sooner... she was an August MCATer, by the way. If you apply early enough (i.e. mid-July-ish), it seems to me you will get some interviews and that you probably stand a good shot. I mean, come on, the only real blotch on your record is your VR score, and that alone should not close the doors off!

Best of luck to you! :)

hoomsy said:
There's no number to call Thomson Prometric. They're the ones who mark the computer MCAT. The only way to contact them is through e-mail. I've tried a bunch of other numbers trying to get their MCAT number!

Hoomsy

Have you tried contacting AAMC and asking them about this? It seems to me that since they are the ones adminstering the exam they are the ones that should be responsible. I know that it won't solve anything or help you get your scores back or anything but get a lawyer and at least try to have AAMC take responsiblity for themselves. It's astounding how medical schools always stress character, personal culpibility and responsibility and glossy crap like that while they participate with an organization that seems to do anything but that. It seems like a double standard. This is actually the second case of computer screw ups that happened and probably not the last. I am sorry that this happened to you and I would not wish this on anyone.

crazy_cavalier said:
I smell conspiracy... if they fixed it during the hour lunch break, you should have been informed of what was done!!! :eek:

As for the rolling admissions... I'm not sure what to tell you. I understand your desire to start right away because of the mechanics of rolling admissions. First, a quick question: is this your first time applying? Or rather, your first time applying to those schools? If it is indeed your first time applying to them, I would advise you to go ahead and apply to just these three: UMass, Tufts, and BU... (and Harvard too, if you want to go ahead and apply to all the MA schools ;) .) It can't possibly hurt you to test out the waters with those scores - although fair warning, some schools automatically stop reviewing applications if an individual applies to that school three or more times - so take heed and make sure you won't wind up in that position... anyway, DEFINITELY include an addendum or attachment to your application file explaining the circumstances of your test day and arguing about your practice test performance. All the other aspects of your app seem outstanding - research publications, EC's / volunteering, great GPA, a master's in engineering (and hopefully an awesome personal statement and great LOR's)... honestly I think if they look past the 3 in the VR, which they really ought to do, you will make it. At the very least, you should get some interviews, and you'll have that chance to talk about it, and also to show your other qualities, and that's part of what will get you accepted and what will make you a great doc.

If, in the end, for whatever reason, these three schools don't grant you an acceptance this cycle, then that's a-okay for now and you can a.) ask them why, and b.) retake the mcat next year in April - no worries! Just take the paper test, kick its @ss, and reapply. I bet you anything when they see you improve (and you undoubtedly will!!) that will play hugely in your favor.

Anyway, that's just me, or what I would do... I don't think I would push to take the August MCAT and still apply this cycle. With rolling admissions, you do not want to do yourself that sort of disservice. I know of a girl who was actually told that she would have been accepted to the U. of Washington, if only she had gotten her app in just a little bit sooner... she was an August MCATer, by the way. If you apply early enough (i.e. mid-July-ish), it seems to me you will get some interviews and that you probably stand a good shot. I mean, come on, the only real blotch on your record is your VR score, and that alone should not close the doors off!

Best of luck to you! :)

Hey,

Thanks for all your replies. Well I applied in 2003 for medical school. The issue was I found out in July that I could graduate from my program. So I went and got a book on the MCAT and studied very little for it. My results from teh August 2003 MCAT were 9,9 and 6 verbal. I applied anyways. I got interviewed at a Canadian University (McMaster...I'm American), an interview at Oxford in England and an interview at Umass (I'm a Mass resident). I didn't get into McMaster because they only accept 1 international and I wasn't it. Oxford I didn't know that if I went to school there I could be stuck in England.

Umass I was told that if I sent my application earlier I would have been accepted (during the interview). I sent in my 2ndary end of January.

I was suprised I even got an interview with a 24.

Now I'm 1/2 way through the masters in engineering (i've finished my thesis...I just have to take like 3 classes). I studied for this April MCAT (a lot). I got an 11 in Ph, 10 Bio and 3 Ver. I still can't believe the 3.

Anyhow....BU, Umass and Tufts say they will take your best scores....so in their eyes I have an 11, 10 and 6 (verbal) = 27.

I am going to write the August MCAT. But I don't want to tell the schools I'm writing it (so they don't hold onto my application....I want to be considered ASAP). Then I was hoping that during the interview (hopefully) I could show them the higher verbal score (and maybe even science sections).

Would this make sense?

I really want to go to Medical School. The only reason I did the masters was it supports me (I get paid to do it and free tuition). Plus my thesis has to do with developing a biosensor.

So I'm stuck....

BTW....I got a reply from the MCAT people

"
Thank you for your email to Prometric regarding your April 2005 MCAT experience.

Prometric has verified that no technological challenges were presented with your workstation during the test which would have impacted your data hence scoring. Also, our MCAT, Director of Research has reviewed your Verbal Reasoning responses and the data indicate that you actually selected responses for items that are marked incorrect. These data show no obvious evidence of technical errors in capturing the response data.

Should you have any additional questions, please contact me.

"

I don't think this answers the issue of questions left blank. If they're right...I must be mentally ******ed. English is my first language.

meh

Hoomsy

I've taken several other prometric tests and the way they are set up is that the questions and answers are not stored locally. The questions get sent down the wire to your testing station (encrypted ofcourse) and your responses get sent back. So incase there is an outage at your local client the server has a complete history of your answers and can resume the session.

As it relates to the message on screen, personally, I'd hit yes empty the bin. The cache that is used is in memory and or paged to the hard disk. Emptying the bin wouldn't hurt. Alternatively, I'd have gotten hold of the proctors immediately. Better to loose a minute doing that than loose your sanity afterwards and always wonder...

It's a stateless, timed and encrypted connection channel. So theoretically, a malfunction at the local client should not alter your results. If there is an error in transmission, logs would capture that. In addition, CRC checksums ensure the integrity of the data in transit from server to client. Prometric has been doing computer based testing for quite a while. Though their technology seems antiquated to me, it works.

hoomsy said:
Hey,

Thanks for all your replies. Well I applied in 2003 for medical school. The issue was I found out in July that I could graduate from my program. So I went and got a book on the MCAT and studied very little for it. My results from teh August 2003 MCAT were 9,9 and 6 verbal. I applied anyways. I got interviewed at a Canadian University (McMaster...I'm American), an interview at Oxford in England and an interview at Umass (I'm a Mass resident). I didn't get into McMaster because they only accept 1 international and I wasn't it. Oxford I didn't know that if I went to school there I could be stuck in England.

Umass I was told that if I sent my application earlier I would have been accepted (during the interview). I sent in my 2ndary end of January.

I was suprised I even got an interview with a 24.

Now I'm 1/2 way through the masters in engineering (i've finished my thesis...I just have to take like 3 classes). I studied for this April MCAT (a lot). I got an 11 in Ph, 10 Bio and 3 Ver. I still can't believe the 3.

Anyhow....BU, Umass and Tufts say they will take your best scores....so in their eyes I have an 11, 10 and 6 (verbal) = 27.

Wow, an interview at oxford! That's fantastic.

Well, congrats on the improvement in your MCAT (in the PS and BS) and as for the verbal, well the verbal section is just plain goofy. Ya, submitting secondaries in january was probably the only thing holding you back from umass... this time around, you'll get in!! :D

As for the August MCAT, it doesn't seem very kosher to me to indicate that you're not retaking on the AMCAS when you plan to retake in August... but hey, that's just me and by no means am I condemning this. Just be cautious and well, good luck in august! :)

Best wishes

Hi,

I would talk to MCAT office. I think that you could explain your situation and ask them to explain to you the meaning of message that you got during the test. And, ask them whether your answers were lost. I think they could tell you whether you have answered all the questions. I guessed that given the situation, they should tell you whether some of your answers were blank or missing. You have my BEST wishes. Take care ...

Hi,

You need to contact the AAMC. Your score of 3 sounds fishy. Tell them you suspect a computer problem. Ask for Tonya Miles, Director of Test Administration and Testing. Be persistent.

I also took the computer-based MCAT in April. It exited in the middle of my session! And then I had to call in people to fix the computer. Yes they started up the computer again, but I also did not know if my data (answers) were stored, and this disrupted my whole timing and concentration for the rest of the test.

What I need to warn you is that even though mine was such an obvious problem (i.e. I had to leave the room in the middle of the test - and people had to fix my computer --- obviously not normal), it was HELL getting Thomson and AAMC to do anything about it.

For you, this is a problem which you "suspect" However, you do remember seeing an error message... They will need to conduct an investigation. And I will tell you they will drag their feet. Thomson will not respond to you if you email [email protected] (b/c they are just a contract test company trying to cover up their mistakes). You MUST call AAMC.

I called almost all the schools and asked them how to handle this, and some directors of Admission told me that in the past with MCAT problems, they have received letters on Letterhead from AAMC describing there was a disruption. Anyway, I have just received a letter Fedexed to me from AAMC on letterhead saying that there was indeed a computer bug which disrupted my test, after I kept on pestering them. (this letter to be sent to schools w/ my secondary)

But be prepared, they are bureaucratic.

Oh, by the way, AAMC also told me there was a group of 9 other people whose computers had problems.

And I also flew to another country for the test. I think more people need to expose Thomson's computer flaws.

Rabbit said:
Hi,

I would talk to MCAT office. I think that you could explain your situation and ask them to explain to you the meaning of message that you got during the test. And, ask them whether your answers were lost. I think they could tell you whether you have answered all the questions. I guessed that given the situation, they should tell you whether some of your answers were blank or missing. You have my BEST wishes. Take care ...

hoomsy said:
Hey,

Thanks

Hoomsy

You just need to complain about that! And if possible, ask for a re-testing/re-scoring for that section only!