Jul 26, 2016
3
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey friends --

My pre-med counselor told me about this site. She doesn't know anything, so I am hoping you guys can help. I just finished my post bacc recently and my GPA is now a 3.68 cum and 3.55 science. (upward trend last 2 years). My MCATS (in order of oldest to most recent): 504, 502, 516.

Now... I applied DO last cycle because I did not think I would improve my MCAT. I got into two DO schools. I applied DO as safety. However, I want to go MD and I feel like I have a shot.

Is it possible to defer my DO admission a year while I apply MD? I know I don't have a 100% shot in MD - no one does - but what would be my next move?

I am a Missouri Resident, White, and I have worked with tons of underserved populations in my area.

-Zoon
 

FutureOncologist

I support cancer... research
5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2014
652
721
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have no familiarity with DO applications, but if they were like MD apps, then you'd need a good damn reason to defer a year. It holds a spot in the next class, which takes out a chance for someone equally or more-qualified than you to come in. Also, it prevents the school from getting money they desperately need to fund the education for others. Telling them "Oh I think DO is great and all, but I REALLY WANT AN MD because it holds more prestige" will not fly. In fact, they'll kick you out of the class and tell you "good luck next year."

Also, lets look at the logistics. If you don't get into an MD school, that's already 2 years behind making money as a physician, which you will make the same as your MD counterpart if you score well on the COMLEX/USMLE Steps, set yourself apart on residency apps, etc. You will be out of tens of thousands of dollars from working as a doctor just because you want to change 2 letters in your name. I work with DO physicians and I can honestly tell you not a damn person cares. If you can take excellent care of the patients that we see, then I couldn't care less if you had "MD" or "DO" next to your name. Furthermore, I have met M3/4's and O3/4's during rotations. A plethora of O3/4's were much better students and future physicians than the M3/4's with whom they and I rotated. Not saying one is better than the other, but what you do with your medical education will get you where you want to be. Yeah, I get that there is a bias with DO's, but it's diminishing each year.

Before you ask, no, MD schools will not see you've been accepted to a DO school and turned down the acceptance, as long as you don't disclose the information.
 

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
5,574
4,248
Should have looked that up before you applied. You maybe breaching your contract of acceptance if you apply to MD schools again while you defer. Of course, they would have a hard time finding out since they both use different applications processes. You still risk the possibility of having that acceptance rescinded if they found out.

You could drop the DO acceptance and aim for MD. However, you don't know if you will be accepted to MD. Nor do you know if you will be accepted to DO again. Think about this before you make your choice. In the end, one in the hand is worth two in the bush...
 
  • Like
Reactions: TheaterOfTheme

NotYou20

5+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2012
729
1,109
Status
Medical Student
Future applicants should note this as a case study of why not to apply to do schools while retaking the mcat (after three tests, c'mon opie lose the s already).

Do schools ask about previous acceptances and with your huge change in mcat score will see exactly what you're doing. If you decide to reapply, you shouldn't expect anything from do schools. I wouldn't even bother applying to them. So by replying you're taking a gamble.

Now, md schools can't see that you've been accepted to do schools. There are schools that are mcat whores, notably st. Louis. You can see how schools treat mcat scores before applying. You should make a list of schools that only consider most recent, and maybe post it here. Your chances are very good this cycle, but you need to be honest with yourself about things that could hold you back.

If you have strong leanings toward a competitive specialty or are interested in academics, the case for replying becomes stronger. I'd probably reapply next year in your shoes, but this is a personal decision. It doesn't matter what others would do
 
  • Like
Reactions: xffan624

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
32,834
12,600
The Other Side of the Portal
I got into two DO schools. I applied DO as safety. However, I want to go MD and I feel like I have a shot.

Is it possible to defer my DO admission a year while I apply MD?
It is possible, but you'll have to check with the two schools that accepted you, ask if they allow 1-year deferrals and under what circumstances, find out what the fee is to hold your place at the school (above and beyond the deposit you've probably already paid), and be sure they won't require you to refrain from applying to other (non DO) schools.
 
  • Like
Reactions: GrapesofRath

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
15,943
17,769
All of Time & Space
we just had a thread on this

search my post history maybe

short answer, no, take the DO acceptance and run!

and enough with these students that hardly have the stats to be picky turning their nose up at DO
 

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
20,510
31,275
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
It is possible, but you'll have to check with the two schools that accepted you, ask if they allow 1-year deferrals and under what circumstances, find out what the fee is to hold your place at the school (above and beyond the deposit you've probably already paid), and be sure they won't require you to refrain from applying to other (non DO) schools.
And multiple DO schools have deferral agreements now that are worded that you agree not to apply to any other medical school, be it DO, MD, or off-shore.
 

thatwouldbeanarchy

2+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2014
974
1,168
Status
Medical Student
Congratulations! You're going to be a doctor. That was your end goal, right? So why would you even consider turning down an acceptance? Let alone holding onto a spot in a US medical school that could go to someone who's happy to be accepted DO.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Crayola227

sp4k

2+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2016
54
23
Don't defer, just drop out and go for MD. There's plenty of people who actually want to go DO.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Goro

Pagan FutureDoc

2+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2015
1,016
1,391
Status
MD/PhD Student
Take the DO and run. Better to be a doctor 4 years from now than try to get an MD acceptance (especially without anything amazing on your app) and have no DO school willing to take you.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Crayola227
Feb 28, 2016
79
5
What if OP applied to different DO schools next cycle? Would they know he was accepted previously? Would he be considered a reapplicant for the new schools? I'm assuming on the apps they ask if you were previously accepted?
 
OP
Z
Jul 26, 2016
3
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Well besides the DO schools, they are also on the east coast. I was hoping for A.T. Missouri but I did not get into it. The other schools are very expensive for me and far from home. Would it look bad to other DO schools if I turned them down my acceptance because of school preference?
 
7

777137

Hey friends --

My pre-med counselor told me about this site. She doesn't know anything, so I am hoping you guys can help. I just finished my post bacc recently and my GPA is now a 3.68 cum and 3.55 science. (upward trend last 2 years). My MCATS (in order of oldest to most recent): 504, 502, 516.

Now... I applied DO last cycle because I did not think I would improve my MCAT. I got into two DO schools. I applied DO as safety. However, I want to go MD and I feel like I have a shot.

Is it possible to defer my DO admission a year while I apply MD? I know I don't have a 100% shot in MD - no one does - but what would be my next move?

I am a Missouri Resident, White, and I have worked with tons of underserved populations in my area.

-Zoon
Take the acceptance, your MCAT is good, but no school will weigh it as a first time 516 and it is considered a red flag to have taken the MCAT more than once. And the fact that you did WORSE on your second MCAT could haunt you. Congrats on getting accepted, kick ass in school and STEP and you can still land any specialty (well maybe not neurosurgery, I heard there's like 1 in the country.)
 
Feb 28, 2016
79
5
Take the acceptance, your MCAT is good, but no school will weigh it as a first time 516 and it is considered a red flag to have taken the MCAT more than once. And the fact that you did WORSE on your second MCAT could haunt you. Congrats on getting accepted, kick ass in school and STEP and you can still land any specialty (well maybe not neurosurgery, I heard there's like 1 in the country.)
A lot of schools state they look at the highest MCAT score. Obviously they see all the scores and we don't know exactly how they view all of them. I don't think one can clearly state they will hold his other scores against him. Isn't it a gray area depending on the school/admins?

Any way I do understand the OPs predicament. He probably just got his MCAT score and he did great. Therefore, he probably wants to apply to MD schools to see if he can get in and not have that looming question of could I have gotten in. He doesn't want that stone to be left unturned. Unfortunately he miscalculated and applied to DO schools already.

Will other DO schools know of your past acceptances?
 

ayanzbreeze

5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2012
113
65
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey friends --

My pre-med counselor told me about this site. She doesn't know anything, so I am hoping you guys can help. I just finished my post bacc recently and my GPA is now a 3.68 cum and 3.55 science. (upward trend last 2 years). My MCATS (in order of oldest to most recent): 504, 502, 516.

Now... I applied DO last cycle because I did not think I would improve my MCAT. I got into two DO schools. I applied DO as safety. However, I want to go MD and I feel like I have a shot.

Is it possible to defer my DO admission a year while I apply MD? I know I don't have a 100% shot in MD - no one does - but what would be my next move?

I am a Missouri Resident, White, and I have worked with tons of underserved populations in my area.

-Zoon
why??? you got an admission, why not take it??? DO = MD..NO DIFFERENCE smh
 
  • Like
Reactions: Crayola227

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
15,943
17,769
All of Time & Space
everyone better check their MD privilege
 

Monophasic

2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2015
295
372
New York
Status
Medical Student
OP, we need you to come back here and post that you've considered everyone's input in this thread and you're accepting your DO acceptance. Every single person who posted here has suggested you do so. It's not what you wanted to hear, but you should do so.
 
  • Like
Reactions: freak7
7

777137

A lot of schools state they look at the highest MCAT score. Obviously they see all the scores and we don't know exactly how they view all of them. I don't think one can clearly state they will hold his other scores against him. Isn't it a gray area depending on the school/admins?

Any way I do understand the OPs predicament. He probably just got his MCAT score and he did great. Therefore, he probably wants to apply to MD schools to see if he can get in and not have that looming question of could I have gotten in. He doesn't want that stone to be left unturned. Unfortunately he miscalculated and applied to DO schools already.

Will other DO schools know of your past acceptances?
Other DO schools ask about past acceptances. And while some members of Adcoms will take the highest score, it isn't as if they don't consider the fact that it took multiple attempts to get there.
 
OP
Z
Jul 26, 2016
3
0
Status
Pre-Medical
OP here: I want to go to my state DO school or one in California, is it possible to turn down a DO acceptance if you don't want to go to a specific school? Or would this still look bad? I want to stay close to my family (Missouri and California). Is this not enough of a reason to turn down a DO acceptance.

I'm not trying to sound assuming or egotistical - I truly truly appreciate the responses I did not expect this much help.
 
7

777137

OP here: I want to go to my state DO school or one in California, is it possible to turn down a DO acceptance if you don't want to go to a specific school? Or would this still look bad? I want to stay close to my family (Missouri and California). Is this not enough of a reason to turn down a DO acceptance.

I'm not trying to sound assuming or egotistical - I truly truly appreciate the responses I did not expect this much help.
It will still look bad and some schools may outright reject you for it. You go where you can, going to medical school is a privilege, not a right. If you did not want to go there, you should not have applied, period. Take the acceptance or risk not getting into medical school. If you want to be a doctor, it'll be worth it in the long run.
 
  • Like
Reactions: xffan624

NotYou20

5+ Year Member
Dec 23, 2012
729
1,109
Status
Medical Student
OP here: I want to go to my state DO school or one in California, is it possible to turn down a DO acceptance if you don't want to go to a specific school? Or would this still look bad? I want to stay close to my family (Missouri and California). Is this not enough of a reason to turn down a DO acceptance.

I'm not trying to sound assuming or egotistical - I truly truly appreciate the responses I did not expect this much help.
Eh, it's not advised normally because it's something you should've thought of before you got accepted. Not a death blow though. Your situation is not normal. When they see that your mcat went up 12 points before you had this change of heart they'll see that you're trying to take them for a ride and using them for a backup again. It's incredibly obvious
 
  • Like
Reactions: Dr. Death

candbgirl

Junior Member
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
4,001
2,857
Status
Why did you apply to schools that you wouldn't go to if accepted? Don't blow your chance to be a doctor! Did you ask the two schools you were accepted to about a deferral and what the rules are if they grant a deferral?


Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
 
  • Like
Reactions: Goro

bahdahboom

2+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2015
184
207
Status
Medical Student
Hey friends --

My pre-med counselor told me about this site. She doesn't know anything, so I am hoping you guys can help. I just finished my post bacc recently and my GPA is now a 3.68 cum and 3.55 science. (upward trend last 2 years). My MCATS (in order of oldest to most recent): 504, 502, 516.

Now... I applied DO last cycle because I did not think I would improve my MCAT. I got into two DO schools. I applied DO as safety. However, I want to go MD and I feel like I have a shot.

Is it possible to defer my DO admission a year while I apply MD? I know I don't have a 100% shot in MD - no one does - but what would be my next move?

I am a Missouri Resident, White, and I have worked with tons of underserved populations in my area.

-Zoon
If you want to go MD, then apply MD. You don't want to kick yourself for at least not going for what you truely want.
 

Dr. Death

2+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2015
1,550
2,745
Most DO school secondaries ask if you have applied to medical school before. If you check yes, they ask what was the result of the application cycle. If you lie you will be found out and blacklisted. If you tell the truth you are also blacklisted.

If you told us what schools you were talking about we could better assist you though. Not all DO schools are created equal and I would change my answer if one of the schools was PCOM vs BCOM
 

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
53,714
79,069
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Since you really don't want to be a DO, just drop the acceptances. I'd rather your seat go to someone who really wants to be a doctor right now.

Hey friends --

My pre-med counselor told me about this site. She doesn't know anything, so I am hoping you guys can help. I just finished my post bacc recently and my GPA is now a 3.68 cum and 3.55 science. (upward trend last 2 years). My MCATS (in order of oldest to most recent): 504, 502, 516.

Now... I applied DO last cycle because I did not think I would improve my MCAT. I got into two DO schools. I applied DO as safety. However, I want to go MD and I feel like I have a shot.

Is it possible to defer my DO admission a year while I apply MD? I know I don't have a 100% shot in MD - no one does - but what would be my next move?

I am a Missouri Resident, White, and I have worked with tons of underserved populations in my area.

-Zoon