1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

weird situation with volunteer clinic

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by whiteorgo, Dec 27, 2008.

1. whiteorgo

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hey i wanted to hear some opinions. I volunteered at a small clinic during one summer about an yr ago. i spent about 6-7 hrs a day for about 3 times a week for 10 weeks. So that adds up to about 200 hrs or so. But i am not sure if medical school will need to verify this or not, but i just found out the clinic has closed due to malpractice or some financial trouble. I have no idea where the doctor went but I do have her email address but i am not even sure if she uses that. Do you think this might be a problem for medical school. Thanks!

P.S. Does any specific med school actually require verification??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Unless there is a reason to question that you really did this activity, you should not have a problem. List the name of the facility and put "(defunct)" or "(closed)" after the name. Twenty hours per week for 10 weeks is OK.

4. whiteorgo

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hey thanks for the response. I just had a quick question. Im not familiar with the structure of this site, but it said you're status is School Admin?? does this mean your actually on the admission board for medical school??

5. justdoit31

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes she is but she doesn't (or hasn't to date) reveal any information about where she is at or personal info... her advice though is usually great and highly valued by those on the forum.

6. cbrons

cbrons Ratatoskr! *Roar*
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    She knows what she's talking about.. you should follow her advice! :)

LizzyM, I asked this question a few weeks to some people and there were mixed responses. Pharmacy technician experience, can it be considered clinical at all? Do you think is possible schools will accept it as such if you are able to provide a good enough account of what your duties were and what would give it a clinical element? I live in a rural township (all of my shadowing opportunities came about as a result of my position there) and I believe I might have a more "unique" technician experience than the average person. Second, do you think a (meaningful and detailed) letter of recommendation from my boss (who is a pharmacist) would be beneficial?

I know it would help more for pharmacy school but at least I can say I tried it and can't see myself doing it forever (also shadowed my bosses husband, who is a hosptial pharmacist, so I've seen more than retail).

7. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Talking with patients, teaching or guiding them, would be of a clinical nature. You might also have some insight into things that physicians do that make things more difficult for patients or some of the problems that folks have with their insurance companies. Any other retail experience wouldn't be "clinical" but dealing with sick people does make it clinical, IMHO. Nonetheless, you should have some shadowing with docs and if possible, some unpaid service to others (literacy, hunger, mental illness, etc).

You should have a good story about how you tested your interest in retail and hospital-based pharmacy as a career and found it wanting thus winding up applying to medical school.

8. cbrons

cbrons Ratatoskr! *Roar*
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Thanks!