Weird Study Habits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miss155

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I was wondering if anyone has weird study habits. I bought a big white eraser board that your teacher might use in class to teach myself and work out problems. Do you think thats weird??

Members don't see this ad.

I think that is actually one of the best ideas I've ever heard about. I had considered doing that before. It's great because you can use different color markers over a large surface, and break problems down into smaller components in different quadrants of the board.

Another helpful thing might be to get a sticker coordinate axis so that you can use your board for calculus and physics problems when you're going through those courses.

My study strategy is mostly getting a nice flat surface putting the book on one side, a calculator in the middle and a nice pad of yellow legal paper. I don't know why, but the color yellow makes me productive.

For reading strategies I work through every example in a textbook before it is explained as well as work through the majority if not all of the textbook problems if I can help it.

Do what works for you. Good luck.

Some packing material is made from constarch. It sticks to itself when it's moistened. I used this in organic chem to make big models that I could manipulate. Also used it in imunochemistry to make different cells.

Members don't see this ad :)
weird study habits, eh...

i know lots of people who study while listening to music: usually something with lots of repetitve beats (techno) or something really profound, like classical/baroque music (you know, people who think that, just because it says in Reader's Digest that listening to Mozart increases infant brain development, that it will magically improve their cognitive reasoning abilities too).

personally i like listening to some serious heavy metal, like some old Megadeth, Carcass, Slayer, etc. People ask me how i can concentrate while listening to that stuff, and, to be perfectly honest, i have no idea! it just helps, thats all:D

Mope/ mellow rock works for me---->Oasis, Coldplay........

and French Rap for some very strange reason :D

Originally posted by Miss155
Hi

I was wondering if anyone has weird study habits. I bought a big white eraser board that your teacher might use in class to teach myself and work out problems. Do you think thats weird??

I have one of these boards, and I think it's a great idea. Nothing is worse than when working on a frustrating problem, you find that the paper you're working on has been erased and re-erased so many times it can no longer be used, your trash can is filled with previous failed attempts, and your desk is covered with the rubbed out remains of your pencil's eraser. The white board makes it much better, and I've also found that it helps me pace while I'm mentally chewing on something.

Small multi-colored plastic clips.

And following the musical trend... I usually have it cranked up on my stereo... and study as far away from it as possible. The last two weeks have been 80's music and Bossa Nova.

It always helped me to write things that were really tough... things i had to memorize...
biochem and neuroanatomy were the big ones...
helps to keep drawing nerve pathways, as it can be quite challenging

Ok, I think I have the wierdest study habit....

I play jeopardy with myself. I literally have a game show in my bedroom with all the enthusiasm and everything. It's corny I know. But it works!!!!!!

Climberchick: I'm sorry but that is just really funny. Lol Do you function as both contestant and game host? :)

I know, climberchick, give me details. This sounds like something I might want to try ;)

personally i like listening to some serious heavy metal, like some old Megadeth, Carcass, Slayer, etc. People ask me how i can concentrate while listening to that stuff, and, to be perfectly honest, i have no idea! it just helps, thats all

Wha?

I never thought I'd encounter another 80's thrash metal fan among the weenies of SDN.

MASTER OF PUPPETS!

'Tallica rules ;)

when i was in ugrad, before a big exam, i would write out pathways over and over (worked fabulous for immuno/biochem/similar ones) .... but then (and i lived alone, so nobody really knew) i'd hang them up in front of my toilet and above my kitchen sink -- that way i could read them while on the toilet and while doing dishes. :oops:

Originally posted by Miss155
Hi

Nope, my roomie and I had one too. It friggin rocked, especially with mechanisms or remembering amino acids or other charts. It saved ont he whole paper issue too.

I'd love to put a white board in my new apt, but there's no wall space for it.

actually no its not weird, a girl i used to take calc with taught me stuff at study groups with a dry erase board, and its the best math ive ever learned. -- maybe it was because she was in her underwear -- ahem**

I have a few of those.

I work out during the early morning and while doing my cardio work outs i study :). It's fun to be on the bike with a 400 page chemistry book :). Actually during the early morning my mind is pretty clear and since there is not much to do while on a cardio machine i think it helps to read a book.

I always fail to study at home. Whenever i say "i am gonna study" at home something else will come up. Someone will call , a rerun of Sex and the City will be on , a friend will IM , PrincetonRocks will post on SDN etc... So i end up taking my mp3 player and going to the library. I can concentrate much much better there.

Btw i listen to everything. I do mean everything. From massive attack to deicide :p

Tezzie

PS. Yay for Slayer - booooo for metallica

The way that I study, especially for biochem or anyother bio course. I would put things down on paper and then go around the room dictating the details outloud to myself while having the paper covered up. Sometimes during biochem, I would pace around my room for 5-10 minutes straight while telling myself all of the pathways, cofactors and enzymes of a particular section.

dmitri

Techno- puts me in a trance.

I make notecards from my notes because it helps me to write things several times if I'm trying to memorize concepts or vocabulary. I then review the notecards while I work out at the gym.

As for music, I prefer classical. I used to listen to all kinds of music when studying, but I realized that lyrics can be distracting, especially when I'm reading for philosophy. I prefer having headphones on because it blocks out background noise.

I make up really, really stupid mnemonic devices that make no sense to anyone except me.

Like someone else said above, I can't study in my room. I go to the library or the local Starbucks and just study there because there are fewer distractions (namely, no sdn and no tv).