Welcome home Capt. Speicher USN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The articles talk about CAPT Speicher being regularly promoted when he was listed as MIA. Knowing little about selection boards, are there *******s that would (or do) actually vote AGAINST promoting these guys when they come up? I mean, I personally would rubber-stamp it right through. It's the people like CAPT Speicher that allow me to "talk out of my ass" here in the US. In fact, if I see you out, and I know you're a serviceman (or police officer, firefighter, or EMS), I will pay for your drinks or buy you lunch, because I make a lot of money and don't risk my life daily, and I thank God - every day - that there are people risking their lives, and I am - daily - irritated to the bone at how poorly some of them are treated.

Recquiescat in pace, CAPT Speicher.

The articles talk about CAPT Speicher being regularly promoted when he was listed as MIA. Knowing little about selection boards, are there *******s that would (or do) actually vote AGAINST promoting these guys when they come up? I mean, I personally would rubber-stamp it right through. It's the people like CAPT Speicher that allow me to "talk out of my ass" here in the US. In fact, if I see you out, and I know you're a serviceman (or police officer, firefighter, or EMS), I will pay for your drinks or buy you lunch, because I make a lot of money and don't risk my life daily, and I thank God - every day - that there are people risking their lives, and I am - daily - irritated to the bone at how poorly some of them are treated.

Recquiescat in pace, CAPT Speicher.

I have been looking for the actual instruction, but when an MIA member comes in zone, they are promoted automatically without impact to the board. Meaning promoting them would not hurt the chances of others under consideration. So there is no opportunity to vote no.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been looking for the actual instruction, but when an MIA member comes in zone, they are promoted automatically without impact to the board. Meaning promoting them would not hurt the chances of others under consideration. So there is no opportunity to vote no.

How does MIA work for family members? Did they still a check? I don't think it's bad if they did. I'm just wondering.

How does MIA work for family members? Did they still a check? I don't think it's bad if they did. I'm just wondering.

When you fill out the info on your page 2, there is a section for how much of your pay you want to go to your family if you are in missing status. Usually it is 80%. The other 20% would be held for you upon return. Sometimes family have been known to move on after several years of MIA and we don't want the service member to be completely broke when he comes back. This happened to a few guys in Nam. In CAPT Speicher's case, I don't know if the family would get the 20% now, or if it would just go away.

When you fill out the info on your page 2, there is a section for how much of your pay you want to go to your family if you are in missing status. Usually it is 80%. The other 20% would be held for you upon return. Sometimes family have been known to move on after several years of MIA and we don't want the service member to be completely broke when he comes back. This happened to a few guys in Nam. In CAPT Speicher's case, I don't know if the family would get the 20% now, or if it would just go away.

That's interesting. Never thought about that.