Well known abbreviations in Secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hawkenthesky

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ACS also = American Chemical society.

Why would you expect a PhD in physiology to know what the aaos means?
So no they are not known well enough that you can get away with using an abbreviation without explaining what it is the first time

Reactions: 2 users
I concur with @Goro. The reader could well we a 75 year old retired oncologist who may not know ACOG or ACS or AGS or any of the other acronyms that people working in a specific sub-field are familiar with. Spell it out and if you are going to repeat the society's name put the intials in parenthesis the first time you use the full name and then use the acronym when you mention it again.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ACS also = American Chemical society.

Why would you expect a PhD in physiology to know what the aaos means?
So no they are not known well enough that you can get away with using an abbreviation without explaining what it is the first time

I also explain my research in my answer, so the field of study is quite clear, if that makes a difference!

I guess I'm also curious whether it is even necessary to specify which conference I presented at (I do have it listed in my primary application). The full conference titles are quite long and eat up a lot of characters

Use the abbreviation, ie. ACS (American college of surgeons) the first time you talk about it and then you can use the abbreviation ACS in the rest of the body if needed. Pretty sure I learned this in High School...but writing tends not to be a predominate strength amongst the more left brained of those in science.

Self explanatory, but if you don't want to take my word for it: How to Use Acronyms in Academic Writing - Proofread My Essay

Reactions: 1 user
Use the abbreviation, ie. ACS (American college of surgeons) the first time you talk about it and then you can use the abbreviation ACS in the rest of the body if needed. Pretty sure I learned this in High School...but writing tends not to be a predominate strength amongst the more left brained of those in science.

Self explanatory, but if you don't want to take my word for it: How to Use Acronyms in Academic Writing - Proofread My Essay
This is pretty much what I do as well.

This is standard for any scientific writing.

1) I also explain my research in my answer, so the field of study is quite clear, if that makes a difference!

2) I guess I'm also curious whether it is even necessary to specify which conference I presented at (I do have it listed in my primary application). The full conference titles are quite long and eat up a lot of characters
1) No, it doesn't make a difference to the responses you've gotten.

2) The same reader may not have access to all of your Primary, as well as the Secondary essays. So specify the conference again. Sorry.