Well-rounded extracurriculars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverBandCry!

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for hobbies, I like to write and paint. How could I highlight these extracurriculars? What extracurriculars could I do involving writing and art?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

make a writing club or painting club! :thumbup:

byeh2004 said:
make a writing club or painting club! :thumbup:

thanks. Anyone else? Also I was wondering do med schools care about how talented you are as an artist? (I know it helped for college.)

Members don't see this ad :)
im sure they dont care specifically about your paintings but how your paintings reflect o your character and thus on you being a doctor. or maybe they will appreciate the fact that you are multi-faceted unlike the common pre-med. maybe your interviewer may be really into art also. always helps you never know. it cant hurt by any means.

nekrogg said:
im sure they dont care specifically about your paintings but how your paintings reflect o your character and thus on you being a doctor. or maybe they will appreciate the fact that you are multi-faceted unlike the common pre-med. maybe your interviewer may be really into art also. always helps you never know. it cant hurt by any means.

Ok thank you. How can I highlight painting as an extracurricular on my app?

SilverBandCry! said:
thanks. Anyone else? Also I was wondering do med schools care about how talented you are as an artist? (I know it helped for college.)

sure, they like to see you do things that you like to do - maintain a life, a passion, outside of being a pre-med. but PLEASE don't do something just cuz you think it will help you look good for med school. for example, if you'd rather just randomly paint than have an organized group or something, do that! who knows, you may end up being an artist and not a doctor in the end...so don't sculpt your college life according to your supposed career plans.

i can tell you though that many interviewers have been very personally impressed/interested in my musicianship (i am an accomplished pianist and professional choral singer)...i do it because i'm obsessed with it and can't fathom not doing it, but it certainly has helped to make me stand out. in fact, it's pretty much all i talked about with one of my interviewers at yale!

You don't have to be involved in anything official to put it down. I sing, and occasionally I sing with my dad's band (they play local bars, weddings, etc.). I'm not involved in the university chorus or anything like that (nor am I particularly good -- pretty average, actually)... I just like screwing around with it in my spare time.I put it down on AMCAS and most of my interviewers have asked me about it/commented favorably on it.

I agree with other posters who have said to indulge in your artistic endeavors if you are passionate about them...that passion will come across in interviews for sure, even if you choose not to put it directly on your application (depending who you get to write LOR for you, they also might be able to throw in something about your artistic abilities.) If you are interested in getting more involved here are some ideas (and yes, they certainly would be beneficial in your application for alot of schools, imo.)

1. Minor in art or take some art classes
2. See if your hospital has art/music therapy that you could get involved with (especially for children w/ chronic illnesses and terminally ill patients, it's amazing!)
3. submit your artwork to art fairs/publications/conferences, etc (ie, I don't know that much about any of that stuff!)

If you are interested in relating art to patient care or health stuff you can explore that and talk about it in your PS or at interviews...otherwise you can just do it as your favorite past time.

chandelantern said:
I agree with other posters who have said to indulge in your artistic endeavors if you are passionate about them...that passion will come across in interviews for sure, even if you choose not to put it directly on your application (depending who you get to write LOR for you, they also might be able to throw in something about your artistic abilities.) If you are interested in getting more involved here are some ideas (and yes, they certainly would be beneficial in your application for alot of schools, imo.)

1. Minor in art or take some art classes
2. See if your hospital has art/music therapy that you could get involved with (especially for children w/ chronic illnesses and terminally ill patients, it's amazing!)
3. submit your artwork to art fairs/publications/conferences, etc (ie, I don't know that much about any of that stuff!)

If you are interested in relating art to patient care or health stuff you can explore that and talk about it in your PS or at interviews...otherwise you can just do it as your favorite past time.

Ok thanks! :)