Well, well, what do we have here? *PIC*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sher9mm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
whatintheworld.jpg

Sent to me on instant messenger by a friend. What in the world am I looking at?

Members don't see this ad.

It looks like a type of parasitic infection usually seen in 3rd world countries. I have actually treated a gentleman with a similar infection. The Skin tends to ulcerated and become infected.

cg2a93 said:
It looks like a type of parasitic infection usually seen in 3rd world countries. I have actually treated a gentleman with a similar infection. The Skin tends to ulcerated and become infected.

Elephantitis?

Members don't see this ad :)
Elephantiasis nostras verrucosa (ENV), also known as lymphostasis nostras verrucosa (LNV). Can have many etiologies, not just parasitic. Adam Budny, DPM has submitted a case-study with literature review to JAPMA last December.

Lee C. Rogers (DPM on Saturday)

I curious how would you fix something like that? Is amputation the only answer? Also how do you get elephantitis?

I agree with the above diagnoses. It is elephantiasis, a form of filiariasis caused by the parasite Wucheria bancrofti.

The larvae is injected into the blood stream via mosquito bite. The larvae migrate to the lymphatics and the adult worms plug up the lymph vessels and nodes causing the lymphedema demonstrated in the picture.

Drug of choice to eradicate the parasite is diethylcarbamazine (according to my reference), but treating it at the stage pictured would be incredibly difficult I would imagine.
Anything else that could cause a similar blockage of the lymphatics could cause similar symptoms.

Looks like the Thing from the fantastic four.

Just what I wanted to wake up to in the morning :eek:

drjdiz said:
I agree with the above diagnoses. It is elephantiasis, a form of filiariasis caused by the parasite Wucheria bancrofti.

The larvae is injected into the blood stream via mosquito bite. The larvae migrate to the lymphatics and the adult worms plug up the lymph vessels and nodes causing the lymphedema demonstrated in the picture.

Drug of choice to eradicate the parasite is diethylcarbamazine (according to my reference), but treating it at the stage pictured would be incredibly difficult I would imagine.
Anything else that could cause a similar blockage of the lymphatics could cause similar symptoms.

According to WHO the drugs of choice seem to be albendazole and ivermectin, but a complete cure at this stage is problematic.

It can come from lymphatic scarring/obstruction from any cause, after inguinal LN dissection for example.

The only one I've seen was this type, treated with topicals like silvadene and recommending weight loss. It's a pretty distinctive look.