Went in a different career, want to go back into medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ofs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to understand a few things up before re-applying.

I was a premed and applied to a few med schools (2006/2007) but got wait listed at a few of them and nothing ever came out of it. My stats were pretty average (3.5 gpa/ 33 mcat) but not too much in terms of EC's (some research and a bit of volunteering). After graduating in '07 I took a job in the finance field (biochem major/econ minor) since the pay was much better as to would I would make as a labtech or something. I didn't get a chance to volunteer/shadow since then because of the # of hours I worked. Now I'm looking to go back into the medical field and had a few questions about re-applying.

My biggest worry is LORs. I haven't kept in contact with the professors that wrote them and it's been 3/4 years already. I also don't know any current science/medical types that can write me LOR's since I'm in a different field. What would be the best course of action to take here? I could probably get one or two from my superiors but should I just ask those same professors from a few years ago? I know I will have to retake the MCAT since I took it in '06 and it is old.

As for EC's, how bad will it look if I haven't done anything medical/science related in the past few years? Like I said, due to my work schedule, volunteering is difficult and don't want to quit my job.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to volunteer or you're not getting in med school, almost guaranteed. The adcoms want to see that you have some clue as to what you are getting in to. The "I work too much" excuse won't work. You're going to be working a sh_tload as a med student and resident, so if you can't fit a few hours volunteering, even on top of a full time job, you're not going to get the adcom's sympathy.

You need to make time to volunteer, or else you need to get a new and different job.

It doesn't sound like you have time to apply this year, since you need to retake the MCAT. Either retake MCAT in the next few months and then start volunteering, or start volunteering now and then retake MCAT some time next spring/summer.

You can probably get 1 or 2 LOR's from college, but you'll need a more current one. Hospital or clinic volunteer work might be one way to get that. Taking a new science class (upper level bio, etc.) would be another one.