Went to 2 different universities for Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Happensinvegas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I was just had a specific question about how med school adcoms calculate GPA (science/math GPA particularly)

I went to college A for my freshman year than transferred to college B sophomore year where I am currently at. When I transferred my credit hours transferred with me but NOT the actual grade. I was wondering when I apply for med schools, will they calculate the pre-med (1 science 2 math classes) from college A into those with college B or do they only consider the GPA from the college I graduate from.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have to send in both transcripts(from college A and B) to AMCAS. I had a few community college classes I took while in high school that ended up giving my GPA a small and helpful bump. Just be sure to request to have your transcripts sent early as my community college transcripts delayed my app by week.

Grades from all colleges you attended will be counted and used to calculate your GPA. You will have to submit transcripts for both schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Grades from all colleges you attended will be counted and used to calculate your GPA. You will have to submit transcripts for both schools.
Note that this is only true for US colleges. If you do a semester abroad and your College B transfers only the credits without grades, then AMCAS treats the courses as if they were taken Pass/Fail at your College B. Probably doesn't apply to OP yet but might if he goes abroad this coming year (totally should, it rox)!

What about "retaken" classes. For example there was a class I got transfer credit for at College B, but I had to retake that same credit for College B's curriculum. I did better in that class at college B than college A. So pretty much I have 2 of the same credit

What about "retaken" classes. For example there was a class I got transfer credit for at College B, but I had to retake that same credit for College B's curriculum. I did better in that class at college B than college A. So pretty much I have 2 of the same credit
All course grades are calculated into your GPA, even retakes. It is why retakes in MD admissions have much less value than DO admissions who allow for grade replacement(considering only the highest grade). In your situation, both grades from both colleges will be taken into calculation of your AMCAS GPA.