Went to a Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did you go to a community college and get into dental school?

• Took all pre-reqs at CC and got into dental school.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Took all pre-reqs at CC and did not get into dental school.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Took a few pre-reqs at CC and got into dental school.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Took a few pre-reqs at CC and did not get into dental school.

• Went to a CC, and did not take any pre-reqs and got into dental school.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Went to a CC, and did not take any pre-reqs and did not get into dental school.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Didn't go to a CC and got into dental school.

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • Didn't go to a CC and did not get into dental school.

• Total voters

PChemGrad

I am a banana.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing all of these threads about people wondering if they should go to a CC or not. Seeing as some dental schools look down upon community colleges. But some of us went to community college did get in, so I just wanted to get a poll together and figure out how many of us went to a CC and got in, or didn't get in.

You can get into a dental school from a community college, but you pretty much have to transfer and earn your bachelors degree first.

This poll assumes that after going to a community college you transfered to a 4 year college earned your B.A. or B.S. and finished all pre-reqs

*Take these results with a grain of salt.

Members don't see this ad.

Community College is awesome. They're cheap and professors there are more focused towards students and much nicer compare to universrity professors who are more focused on research than teaching.

CC is nice to get all your history classes, liberal arts classes, physical education classes etc. out of the way. Not sure if its a good idea to take your science classes there though..

Members don't see this ad :)
CC is nice to get all your history classes, liberal arts classes, physical education classes etc. out of the way. Not sure if its a good idea to take your science classes there though..

I agree. I finished all my general ed at a CC, but then I transferred to a 4-year. The only science class I took there was a year of general chem.

I noticed that two voted for "Went to a CC, and did not take any pre-reqs and got into dental school." How is this possible?

I noticed that two voted for "Went to a CC, and did not take any pre-reqs and got into dental school." How is this possible?

They didn't take any of their pre-reqs at the CC. but took them after transfering to a 4 year.

I took all my pre-reqs at a CC before transfering, and I got in.

I had friends that went to a CC and they got A's for doing nothing, while I had other friends that got B's for working their butts off.
So I guess it all depends on the CC you go to as to what type of education you obtain from it. I think CC's are a good resource but shouldn't be fully relied upon unless the system changes.
Yet it is like this at some 4 year colleges and it seems like if you take a class at a 4 year its okay if you don't work hard... lets see what happens in 10 years. good luck for those of you that do go to a CC, you do have a fighting chance.

Honestly, comeptition for dental schools today is heavier than what it was 1 or 2 years ago.

And I am assuming for 2008 and 2009 cycles, it will be even heavier.
If you compare 2 students, both have same exact scores on the DAT and same exact GPA, but one students took 1/2 of his pre-reqs at a commun college and the other took ALL of them at a 4-year univ, Im willing to bet the 4-year univ student stands out more.

With today's insane competition, why settle for less? Your gonna become a dentist a owe anywhere from 150k to 250k, so what does it matter if you spend an additiona 15 to 20k going to a nice 4-year univ and making your self stand out....

now what happens with my situation? I had no choice but to go to a cc. I am graduating high school with my AA with a 3.9gpa from the cc. Then off to the 4 yr university. Will I be able to explain my reasoning to the admissions office about why I went to a cc or will they notice on their own because of my age? I hope it doesn't hurt me because I actually pushed harder than many students and I hope they notice how hard I worked in highschool to make this happen.

I took general bio at my CC and at my 4 year school too since the CC was a semester system and my 4 year was on quarter so classes didn't transfer over if I didn't finish the whole years worth of that class. The bio class at my CC was much harder than the one I took at my 4 year. Much more into memorizing specifics and the class isn't curved unlike at my 4 year.

**bump**

For all the predents asking about CC's

I was a tutor for Anatomy, G-Chem of 8 students that when to a CC (13th Grade), Maybe the people think the professors are nice because their classes are easy. Face it, CC is much too easy, thats why its a CC and not a University. All eight students had take home finals and midterms in at least one class I tutored for. CC (Community High school/ 13th grade) is for people who cant attend a 4 YEAR SCHOOL. Either money, grades or some other factor prevents it, THATS WHY THEY ARE SET UP. Its not fair to hold them to the same standards as 4 year University students, I wish more schools looked down on CC. My 2cents. This was not meant to offend anyone, but that's the way it is.

I was a tutor for Anatomy, G-Chem of 8 students that when to a CC (13th Grade), Maybe the people think the professors are nice because their classes are easy. Face it, CC is much too easy, thats why its a CC and not a University. All eight students had take home finals and midterms in at least one class I tutored for. CC (Community High school/ 13th grade) is for people who cant attend a 4 YEAR SCHOOL. Either money, grades or some other factor prevents it, THATS WHY THEY ARE SET UP. Its not fair to hold them to the same standards as 4 year University students, I wish more schools looked down on CC. My 2cents. This was not meant to offend anyone, but that’s the way it is.

I think your argument is idiotic.
Take from my case, it all depend on professor. I took Human anatomy last year at CC and i have to drop it because this professor is the pain in the ass. No one, yes NO ONE got a B on midterm. I took it again at UCLA and since the grade is curved, i got an A-. Some of the class i also took there in summer is GE class and professors are phD from elite schools.

If i continue taking at CC, i would get a C or something. Remember there is no curve and if you have it with an unreasonable professor, you are dead.
Both systems are great. Professors from CC and university are both qualified, it just that university professor are much into research, and sometimes with a class of 300 students, professors won't care about you that much.

I think your argument is idiotic.
Take from my case, it all depend on professor. I took Human anatomy last year at CC and i have to drop it because this professor is the pain in the ass. No one, yes NO ONE got a B on midterm. I took it again at UCLA and since the grade is curved, i got an A-. Some of the class i also took there in summer is GE class and professors are phD from elite schools.

If i continue taking at CC, i would get a C or something. Remember there is no curve and if you have it with an unreasonable professor, you are dead.
Both systems are great. Professors from CC and university are both qualified, it just that university professor are much into research, and sometimes with a class of 300 students, professors won't care about you that much.

I amume you went to CC in Cali. Most other states CC are bad Cali and places with a system (UC) sytems are much better. And to say its an idiotic argument, common now, a take home midterm and final, CC is 13th grade.

I amume you went to CC in Cali. Most other states CC are bad Cali and places with a system (UC) sytems are much better. And to say its an idiotic argument, common now, a take home midterm and final, CC is 13th grade.

"Maybe the people think the professors are nice because their classes are easy."

His argument is idiotic because he generalized the quality of of professors at CC. Obviously, i found it hard to believe that there are a " take home midterm and final" for a science courses at CC. I only take 2 classes at CC but had to drop one. Both professors are just as hard as UCLA. Maybe i am unlucky to have difficulty professors. Everybody has different opinion about CCs. But i don't think they have a right to look down professor's teaching quality

I was a tutor for Anatomy, G-Chem of 8 students that when to a CC (13th Grade), Maybe the people think the professors are nice because their classes are easy. Face it, CC is much too easy, thats why its a CC and not a University. All eight students had take home finals and midterms in at least one class I tutored for. CC (Community High school/ 13th grade) is for people who cant attend a 4 YEAR SCHOOL. Either money, grades or some other factor prevents it, THATS WHY THEY ARE SET UP. Its not fair to hold them to the same standards as 4 year University students, I wish more schools looked down on CC. My 2cents. This was not meant to offend anyone, but that’s the way it is.

I have to agree with ucla2134. Your argument is completely unfounded. You have experience at ONE CC when there are thousands upon thousands of great community colleges. I guarantee you wouldn't have lasted a minute in my gchem class, it was ridiculously difficult. Not because of the material but the way he made us learn it. We all could have built nuclear bombs after taking that class we knew it so well. I did 90 credits (one B) at my CC and then transferred to a 4 year and set the curve in almost every class. I ended up with 6 A+'s out of 15 classes I took at the 4 year. To make a long story short, my CC was much much more difficult (and more work) than my four year UCSD.

And in response to your comment in bold above...are you saying that someone's financial status reflects their intelligence and should affect how they are judged for entrance to dental school? Your arrogance is nauseating. And if you are going to insult people's intelligence (i.e. CC students), at least use proper sentence structure and the correct words (see underline).

Good luck to you King 4-year.

At least we CC students understand that n=1 isn't a significant sample size to make such broad and sweeping generalizations. :rolleyes:

I took spanish and calc 1 at a CC...only two classes and I took them over the summer. Got into D-school...but I wouldnt be suprised if the adcoms didn't even notice 8 credit hours on my scripts lol

Was cheap and convenient though

At least we CC students understand that n=1 isn't a significant sample size to make such broad and sweeping generalizations. :rolleyes:

Aren't you forgetting about The Official Rules of the Pre-Dental Forum
34. Anecdotal evidence = proof beyond a reasonable doubt
34a. "A guy I know" is a statistically significant sample size.
34b. It is well known that 74.2% of statistics on this form are made up on the spot.