LX98Civic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
Ga
Status (Visible)
This is the route I am taking. I'm about to be 24 and I really would like to get out of my parents house, so I am taking the LPN then RN route. I hear people do it ALL the time, but never actually spoken to someone who has done this. It's always through "other" people I hear about this. How difficult is it? Is there a lot more to learn? I hear it's another 2 years. The LPN program at the technical college I attend is about 16 months.

Thanks for any input on this!

tedsadoc2002

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2000
AZ by way of NY, NY by way of AZ
Status (Visible)
Hi,

I did my training in NY and my LPN program was 11 months. It was such a good program that I took challenge exams while I was still in the LPN program to get into the local community college RN program. I was successful enough to bypass a semester of nursing (almost 2, a techicality prevented me from acheiving that).

Call the RN program that you are intetested in. Ask them if they allow LPN's advanced standing (in other words, can you bypass some courses) and how you should go about it, for example will they allow your LPN course credits to transfer or will you need to take specific tests to gain that advanced standing. If you have to take exams, ask the school: who adminsters them, when are they given, what materials will you need to study for them and how much does it cost.

If they do not allow for advanced standing find out what you need to do to gain entrance to the school. I suggest you do this now. The reason being, though there is supposed to be a nursing shortage going around, I am still hearing that prospective candidates are always on some kind of waiting list (that happened to me back in the day, that's why I was so happy about advanced standing, right after LPN graduation, I went to RN school and graduated in a little less than a year and a half).

Hope this helps. :cool: :cool: :cool:

NurseyK

Bunny-Slave
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2000
Trying to escape Libtardia
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hi there -

Again, I echo Ted....(I think she and I were in a past life together, it's scary :wink: )

I, too, was a working LPN before going to RN school. I felt head and shoulders above my classmates. My particular LPN school taught us to "think like RN's", so many of the cognitive tasks I already knew - to say nothing about the psychomotor skills I already had down cold. I didn't feel like I had to "fight" to perform injections/trach care/IVs/etc.

Contact the RN school you are interested in, they may advance place you (I was also - which was an esp good thing back in the time of "waiting lists" that Ted talks about).

Good luck and enjoy the rewards of Nursing!

Kat :)

LX98Civic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
Ga
Status (Visible)
I am not even sure where I will be when I do go back to become an RN. I'm not even 100% sure I will, but at this stage I think it's highly likely.

Anyhow, thanks for the info!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.