Were you a cool kid in middle school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Were you a cool kid in middle school?

• No. I was one of the weird ones.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • No. I was one of the nerds.

Votes: 39 19.4%
  • I was a loner.

Votes: 21 10.4%
  • I was just normal.

Votes: 38 18.9%
  • I was relatively cool.

Votes: 36 17.9%
  • I was definitely cool.

Votes: 30 14.9%
  • I was the teacher's pet.

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • I was the rat.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

monkeyMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just for fun.

Members don't see this ad.

Hahahahaha. No. Given I had some bad things happen (deaths in the family) and the school felt the need to take sit the entire middle school down during an assembly and tell them what happened and to not ask me about it. Most awkward thing ever. I missed the first trimester, came back and was like "Why is everyone not talking to me?" It was like 2 months later before a friend finally told me that they sat everyone down and told them what had happened. Needless to say, no one really wanted to talk to me much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely cool. I wasn't the best kid in middle school, but I had a nice entourage. ;) once I got to high school I became more interested in my studies and thus my coolometer fell considerably.

Hell no. Skipping the drama is not a terribly great way to gain friends at that age. Also, I was a "mathlete." Need I say more?

Hmmm, well in 6th it was all about the pokemon, but in 8th I was relatively cool...I'm not sure where that puts me...

I wasn't really cool until 7th grade, when *the* coolest guy decided he had a crush on me (because I was the only girl who was good at sports in our gym class). I became his girlfriend for a whopping 3 days, and coolness ensued.

Not really. In grade school, coolness is mostly determined by your looks, what clothes you wear, and whether you play sports or not.

I was late to develop physically and was pretty skinny and short. I wore clothes from Ross, Marshalls, and TJ Maxx. And I didn't play any sports but was rather a member of the chess club.

i was pretty fat in middle school. i didnt start slimming up until around 9th grade. but i had uncanny wit and this probably led to me being one of the preferred people to be seen with

Thread Fail. Middle school? So I guess everyone on here are soon to be college freshmen? Would make a little sense to say what kind of college student or at least highschool I guess...but middle school?:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Teacher's pet in 6th grade. My mom (single parent of 2 kids) was diagnosed with PTSD and decided to pretty much stop raising us so I had to grow up from then on by myself.

Turned into a "bad boy" in 7th. Wasn't challenged enough and acted out or did stupid stuff to keep my mind occupied because I was bored. By 8th grade I wasn't being challenged even in the gifted classes and it got worse. I got suspended the last month of 8th grade because I threatened a teacher. Not too proud of what happened but it is what it is.

Thread Fail. Middle school? So I guess everyone on here are soon to be college freshmen? Would make a little sense to say what kind of college student or at least highschool I guess...but middle school?:thumbdown:

Hey some of us like nostalgia!

Beginning of 7th grade, the braces came off and I got contacts. Cool meter definitely jumped, and while I wasn't the coolest, I hung out with the popular group.

Unfortunately, it was a case of "big fish in a small pond." High school was the ocean, and I was but a guppy once I hit 9th grade. :laugh:

I was definitely cool in middle school, but only average in high school because I stopped playing sports and didn't do drugs (like 50% of my class).

All through middle school and high school, I was that you kid you expected to be hiding an assault rifle under his trench coat. Now I'm in college and people expect that I'm hiding an assault rifle under my sweater vest.

I was the weird goth nerd tomboy-ish girl that refused to give up her love for the Pokemon games/shows. I even wore Pokemon shoes in 7th grade (small feet).

Now I'm the shy girl that STILL loves Pokemon at age 22 and walks around lab with a Pokemon pedometer. xD

I peaked in like 5th grade when it was badass to have a Pokedex (you just nostalgia'd). After that point I started hanging out with all of the class clowns. Best years of my life.

In high school all my friends started doing drugs, so I stopped talking to them.

I was homeschooled until 7th grade, so I was pretty embarrassingly awkward when I finally hit the strange world of public education. I didn't even know who Ricky Martin was :scared: (hey, it was 1999!)

I was homeschooled until 7th grade, so I was pretty embarrassingly awkward when I finally hit the strange world of public education. I didn't even know who Ricky Martin was :scared: (hey, it was 1999!)

yeah, i notice this in a lot of home-schooled kids that come to college. They have a really hard time integrating socially because they've never had to.

edit: oops

Last edited:
First half of junior high I shared the title of coolest kid in school with my best friend. We were tops in sports, school and life in general. Then my family moved. The second half of junior high I was too eclectic to fit in to any one clique (meaning I didn't make very many good friends) and thus some weeks I would be very cool (when it was basketball season), and others very uncool (math competitions; need I say more? at least I didn't run cross country).

according to this, i should only respect the opinions of 46/95th of yall.

i was loathed in middle school

I moved across the country in the summer between 6th and 7th grade. I was the new kid all through middle school. In high school I was one of the overachievers....speech team, NHS, National Merit, research at my local university, hospital volunteering.....you know, part of that group of kids whose conversation consists almost exclusively of talking about how busy they are. Sometimes I think back on that time and annoy myself. I definitely had NO FUN in middle school or high school.....:rolleyes:

I'm with you EA... Especially reading that one that mentioned being in 7th grade in '99.

Ummm, yeah, I was a senior in effing high school in 1999. LOL! :laugh:

I'm with you EA... Especially reading that one that mentioned being in 7th grade in '99.

Ummm, yeah, I was a senior in effing high school in 1999. LOL! :laugh:

then you're going to hate hearing that I was in 5th grade in 1999.

then you're going to hate hearing that I was in 5th grade in 1999.

Oh, it's nothing personal against any of you guys. It just makes me feel ancient.

In all truth, I am constantly impressed by traditional students. I definitely did NOT have the motivation and dedication to be premed at 18, 19, 20... So in short, props to you youngin's. I better go get back to my knitting and water aerobics. :p

Oh, it's nothing personal against any of you guys. It just makes me feel ancient.

In all truth, I am constantly impressed by traditional students. I definitely did NOT have the motivation and dedication to be premed at 18, 19, 20... So in short, props to you youngin's. I better go get back to my knitting and water aerobics. :p

Wanna come sit in my boat? I graduated HS in '99.

We can talk about how cool Zack Morris was with his monster cell phone...wait middle school...that was called Junior High for me.

How about when Kurt Cobain called it quits? Grunge FTW.

In middle school, I spent my lunchtimes in a classroom with other nerds playing Magic: the Gathering, so yeah...

Def teacher's pet. Dude, I was even the librarian's pet. I got to pick out new books to order and which authors to invite to our school. It was awesome.

Then I got to high school and decided it was time to be cool. Do I kind of regret it? yes. My reading speed decreased dramatically....hahaha

definately not cool.... why be cool when you can be yourself?

Funny how the vast majority of people aren't normal.

Its SDN, network of nerds, did you expect normal people?

I was definitely a huge nerd in middle school. :laugh:

I guess some things never change. :D

Yep, even when your partying apparently.

I moved across the country in the summer between 6th and 7th grade. I was the new kid all through middle school. In high school I was one of the overachievers....speech team, NHS, National Merit, research at my local university, hospital volunteering.....you know, part of that group of kids whose conversation consists almost exclusively of talking about how busy they are. Sometimes I think back on that time and annoy myself. I definitely had NO FUN in middle school or high school.....:rolleyes:

That sounds like such a fun childhood. Im jealous.

All this pokemon talk is depressing. It wasn't cool until I was in high school.
Pokemon being cool in high school? Man, how old are you? Pokemon was at its coolness peak when it first came out, back when I was in elementary school.

i peaked in 4th grade.. the two hottest girls in class liked me and i didn't know what girls were back then so it drove them crazy. plus i had this sick indian costume that i wore for halloween with real like handmade bows and arrows. i think that was the year i roundhouse kicked a soccer goal from midfield too.. it's been downhill since.

i peaked in 4th grade.. the two hottest girls in class liked me and i didn't know what girls were back then so it drove them crazy. plus i had this sick indian costume that i wore for halloween with real like handmade bows and arrows. i think that was the year i roundhouse kicked a soccer goal from midfield too.. it's been downhill since.

That is pretty awesome my friend. Also, I like how in 4th grade things like this made you cool or not.