Were you excited and nervous?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

borisd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I start med school in June....did anyone feel both excited and so nervous at the same time. It's like I got accepted and I'm THRILLED! But at the same time, I have these questions---can I really do it, handle the volume of material, etc. How did you feel and what did you do?

Members don't see this ad.

I am 4 months away from graduating from med school; so, here's my advice.
I remember feeling a whole spectrum of emotions right after I was accepted. What kept running through my mind was, "What have I gotten myself into? Can I really do this?" Don't worry... it's natural to have mixed feelings about major decisions in your life. It's a huge commitment, and there is no way to really understand what it's like to be a med student until you are one. So, in the meantime, try to relax (no prepping for school), spend time with friends and family, and spend more time enjoying hobbies. Once you are in med school, don't let those hobbies and interests slip away. For example, I decided to treat myself to individual golf lessons during the summer before my first year. That way, I could have just one more outlet to escape from medicine from time to time. Now that 'm a 4th year, I have more time to actually play 18 holes rather than stealing half an hour to hit a few at the driving range. Always preserve what you enjoy outside of medicine because it will help keep you sane and preserve your ideals that medical school can strip away.

Congratulations on being accepted, and good luck! :)

good advice, Michelangelo.. thanks for the post..

I am suffering from major senior-itis. After I was accepted, I just didn't want to study anymore. I'd rather spend my time goofing off with my friends. Oh well, only 3 more months to go.