Were you surprised by your MCAT results?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Were you surprised by your MCAT results?

• Yes - I thought my score would be higher than it actually turned out

Votes: 47 22.8%
  • Yes - I thought my score would be lower than it actually turned out

Votes: 94 45.6%
  • No

Votes: 65 31.6%

• Total voters

yourdudeness

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For better or worse?

Members don't see this ad.

This one's hard to answer. I felt like I did terribly and would get a score in the high 20's. Even though I felt like that, I knew that scores tend to land around the average and, sure enough, my score hit right on my average.

So...I felt like I would get below my average, but I knew that I probably wouldn't.

All I have to say is that the verbal section just... expletives aren't enough to describe this.

Example:

The author likens volcanic rocks from Mt. Vesuvius as a reminder of the tragedy that stems from natural disasters, what color do you think the author's hair is?

a) Blonde
b) Brunette
c) Forest Green
d) Stripper Pink

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was.. I was making solid 10-12s section scores on all my practice test... Never expected that I'd make a 14 on the bio... This was a very good surprise!

Coming out of the test, I felt like I got a 25.

I ended up scoring two points above my average, which was above 30. I remember the day I got my score, one of my most memorable and happiest moments.

All I have to say is that the verbal section just... expletives aren't enough to describe this.

+1000 That section is full of so much BS...and I'm not referring to biological sciences. I am happy with my 8 VR. I was all over the place on practice tests from 7-11.

Just got my score yesterday, I was completely shocked! I honestly thought that I would get anywhere from a 29 to a best case scenario 33. Ended up with a 35 bc I got a 14 in PS! Happiest day of my life!

Example:

The author likens volcanic rocks from Mt. Vesuvius as a reminder of the tragedy that stems from natural disasters, what color do you think the author's hair is?

a) Blonde

b) Brunette
c) Forest Green
d) Stripper Pink

Exactly!

Eh...I guess I was pleasantly surprised about VR. But still, my VR and composite scores were right around my average so I didn't feel too surprised.

Example:

a) Blonde
b) Brunette
c) Forest Green
d) Stripper Pink

LOL! Yeah, I hated Verbal.

I said no but I was surprised by something else. I scored at the very top of the range I expected, but I actually dreamt the exact numerical score that I got like 2 years before. THAT was a surprise.

Lol, VR = my favorite section
Luckily scored well from the beginning, only managed a 13 on real test though.

PS on the other hand...thought I got a 7, freaking hate math and physics

BS I felt as I did on regular tests, ended up with a pt above my average

Thought I absolutely annihilated the writing sections, came out with an S

After taking all of the stupid and inflated Kaplan exams, I was expecting a 40. That didn't happen. It was a good learning experience, though. I didn't take the SAT very seriously, so the MCAT was the first time I've ever felt pressured and nervous while taking an exam. I'm eagerly awaiting my shot at redemption with the USMLE.

I scored roughly in line with my practice tests, but I wanted a slightly higher score and expected a lower score coming out of the testing room. I wasn't that surprised and I'm happy with the score that I got.

Members don't see this ad :)
Surprised, no. Relieved, yes. For the amount I studied, I expected at least a point higher.

I scored one the higher side of my AAMC averages, but I worked really hard to peak at the right time. And by that I just mean I studied for almost 6 months but got more serious a couple months out to eventually breathing MCAT for the last 2-3 weeks before the test

Expected 14 or so in the BS section. I got a 12--a bit surprising. Other scores were as expected. I felt if I scored 8 or higher in VR I would score over 30.

I did better than I predicted coming out of the exam... by a few points.

That said, I still scored ~1pt lower than my average and several points lower than my "max" FL score.

So, while it was nearly all awesome, after the initial euphoria wore off, there was that tiny thought in the back of my mind "Ohhh, it would have been nice to luck out and get my max score!"

Example:

a) Blonde
b) Brunette
c) Forest Green
d) Stripper Pink

Blonde?

I got about what I expected, although I was a bit upset by the test. I have studied hard for the last year, I took all the practice tests offered, but the actual MCAT was way harder than any of the practice tests. It is irritating to pay for supplementary material when it is not representative of the actual test. I feel as though I had a false sense of security going in on test day.

The biggest surprise for me was the VR section. On the practice tests I was hitting close to 15 every time, and finishing with time to spare, but on test day the readings were so long that I was speed reading just to get a general idea for the questions. I can understand if they throw 1 or 2 long passages in, but five in a row was just too much. For those who may say it is just an issue of reading ability, I would like to mention that I easily read 400 page novels within 2 days, and I maxed out the reading comprehension section on the ACT. I don't understand what VR they are testing if it is guaranteed I will run out of time and I especially feel bad for foreign applicants or other students who don't have my reading skill. I was hoping for two points higher than I scored.

When all is said and done I scored 1 point lower than my average, which I am very happy about. After the test I thought I did way worse than my actual score, but I still feel like I got cheated :D

Scored exactly what I expected to. Didn't study much in college and forgot most of the pre-reqs the test is built on. Then I made the mistake of studying from EK books, which are merely summarized blurbs about each section, riddled with errors. I studied a lot and my mock test scores barely moved. I may retake with TBR if I don't get in this year

Just got my scores back. I got exactly what my average was for the tests. But considering I felt like I bombed it after walking out, I consider that a success!

all i have to say is that the verbal section just... Expletives aren't enough to describe this.

Example:

The author likens volcanic rocks from mt. Vesuvius as a reminder of the tragedy that stems from natural disasters, what color do you think the author's hair is?

A) blonde
b) brunette
c) forest green
d) stripper pink

hahahahaha!!!!

Example:

a) Blonde
b) Brunette
c) Forest Green
d) Stripper Pink

:thumbup::laugh:

It's just sad because I was expecting a 7 on verbal, and I was jumping up and down about a 9, which is pretty pathetic; too many engineering classes.

But who cares when you beast the rest of the test.

I was really disappointed actually. I averaged 36 on the (stupid) Kaplan FLs and 34-35 on the AAMC ones, but I ended up with a 32 on the actual. It was actually the lowest score I got on BS (10) out of all the AAMC FLs I took. =[

I was surprised I guess.

I didn't really study and my AAMC average was around 28. I ended up with a 31. I freaked out for a few weeks about applying DO/MD instead of podiatry, but I came to my senses and no problems!

Example:

a) Blonde
b) Brunette
c) Forest Green
d) Stripper Pink

I know, right! There were 2-3 questions on my verbal sections that couldn't have been any more cut-and-dry opinion-based answers (maybe they were experimental/just there to throw people off/irk me). It's not even like verbal was my poor section by a long shot, but those questions were giving me flashbacks to dissecting the author's tone or voice or whatever in Victorian-era poetry during AP English prompts long ago.

Friggin' ridiculous.

As far as how I thought I'd do and actually ended up doing: I didn't take any AAMC tests or really do much studying prior to taking the MCAT; I just figured it'd be sorta like the SAT where I'd show up and do pretty well. I did alright.

Example:

a) Blonde
b) Brunette
c) Forest Green
d) Stripper Pink

D is the closest thing to a redhead :D

Practice%20and%20Actual%20MCAT%20Scores%20in%20Chronological%20Order.jpg

Pure luck.

i pretty much didn't think much about the mcat after taking it. I was in a sort of zombie mode for the month. So when the score finally came I was ready for anything.

I averaged 37-38 on the last 3 aamc and ended with a 34N. I was super sad :/

>I was around 36-39 on practice tests.
>Took the test, and came out thinking I got owned.
>Came to terms with the fact that I might end up with like a 30 on my mcat.
>Got score and it was a 40Q :wow: followed by :banana:

i took two practice tests and scored a 28 and a 33. The difference between the two was the amount of E&M material, which i was uncomfortable with (I was only able to study for a week so i only spent about 18 hours total teaching it to myself - hadn't taken physics yet). My real MCAT was loaded with E&M but I ended up with a balanced 32, so I was pleasantly surprised