This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perpetually

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UW generally thought to give the best IR training. I have no clue about who gives the best DR training.

Someone can offer you some artificial ranking but honestly they are all good programs. Go where you want to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
UW generally thought to give the best IR training. I have no clue about who gives the best DR training.

disagree. they lost a really top IR dawg to UCLA, regardless UW = UCLA both are considered to be amazing, and > UCSD

what about UCSF vs Stanford vs USC?

UCSF has great IR training, but only one integrated spot, so good luck going there in the match. Stanford's IR is high-volume of high-complexity cases. I remember one patient who flew in just to have his lymphangiogram done at Stanford because, "They were the only place willing to do it." They have very interesting IR faculty: one has his own company, one invented laser-assistant IVC filter removal, and of course lots of research. On the downsides, I'd say they don't have as much trauma, despite being a level 1 trauma center.

As for UW, yes I've heard they are the best in the West for IR because they have both a high-volume trauma center and a high-complexity main hospital.

UCSD IR is a very unique experience -- They do varicose vein, cosmetic treatments and neuro-IR on the Naval base, bread and butter procedures at the VA, and high-complexity cases at their two main hospitals. Of note, they have four brand new IR suites. The hardware was still wrapped in plastic during my interview. The DR training at UCSD is also special in that it's resident-run (unusual for an academic center).

I've heard positives about UCLA, but I don't know personally. I don't know anything about USC.

Another question that arises-- do you think a resident-run DR program is a good thing? Would you like to see more fellows instead on service? If so, what is your reasoning?

It's hard to tell which one will train you the best for private practice. Or does it even matter where you go if you want to do private practice?

Another question that arises-- do you think a resident-run DR program is a good thing? Would you like to see more fellows instead on service? If so, what is your reasoning?
I heard they were getting more fellows and faculty since their volume keeps increasing.

more fellows and decreasing the residency class size for UCSD DR. UCSD also does not provide a food stipend unless you're on call (in which case the cafeterias are closed...)

Fellows fill a leadership vacuum where they deal with complex cases, procedures, and generally running a service. Without fellows, Residents have to fill that role to the best of their ability. Opinions on whether this makes you a good radiologist or not is varied and generally biased toward a person's personal experience.

People who train with lots of fellows think its better a better way to practice, people who train without fellows think their method is better. Generally attending Radiologists like Residents who trained without fellows because they're naturally more autonomous which makes an attending's life easier. Obviously making an attending's life easier has absolutely not bearing on whether the training method is valid. I've experienced both styles, they both have benefits.

Fellows usually impact procedural aspect of training as there are only a limited number of high end procedures. This is true whether it is a general surgery residency with too many surgical fellows or an IR residency with too many fellows. This is the same as an unopposed family practice residency (i.e. a FP training program where there are no competing surgical residents, ER residents, OB/GYN residents , peds residents etc) otherwise the FP will have to take a backseat to the other trainees.

Appreciate the responses. Anyone else willing to weigh in? How do Stanford and UW differ/matchup?

Appreciate the responses. Anyone else willing to weigh in? How do Stanford and UW differ/matchup?

Stanford IR is probably known to do more high end IO and research, but UW definitely has better overall IR scope/volume of IR training? UW peds IR too. I think UW DR is fantastic esp given trauma 1, and 5 state catchment area

Reactions: 1 user
Stanford IR is probably known to do more high end IO and research, but UW definitely has better overall IR scope/volume of IR training? UW peds IR too. I think UW DR is fantastic esp given trauma 1, and 5 state catchment area
It seems rotating at either would be a great experience, so which would you think would be better for a sub-I if my goal is to get my name out there in the West coast, and also explore the West coast a bit (not literally explore since it will be a sub-I, but at least experience the West coast since I've never lived there)? Thanks!

It seems rotating at either would be a great experience, so which would you think would be better for a sub-I if my goal is to get my name out there in the West coast, and also explore the West coast a bit (not literally explore since it will be a sub-I, but at least experience the West coast since I've never lived there)? Thanks!
uw was the only one of my IR/Dr interviews where they were given time to have lunch with us. they were so happy and hard working! great faculty too. i would say UW

I applied for IR away rotations at Stanford, UW and UCSD. I heard crickets from UCSD and Stanford was completely full. UW had one spot available at the VA, but it was in late October. I lucked out and got a two-week IR rotation at Stanford because one of their students dropped.

I enjoyed my experience and think it landed me an interview at Stanford, but it doesn't guarantee you an interview. There was another medical student rotating with me who had better numbers on paper, but he didn't get an interview invite. Stanford is a niche place where fit matters a lot (they even say as much on their website). Stanford is a good place if you have interests in entrepreneurship or research. It's not the best place to demonstrate your interest in the West coast. Conversely, I think if you do an away rotation at UW you're likely to get an interview invite. It says as much on their website, "We strongly consider visiting students for an interview, but understand that we cannot accommodate everyone."

If you really want the West coast experience, do an away in Southern California. Northern California and Seattle get down to the 40s and 50s during winter, whereas UCLA/UCSD/UC Irvine will stay above 60 F year-round.

I applied for IR away rotations at Stanford, UW and UCSD. I heard crickets from UCSD and Stanford was completely full. UW had one spot available at the VA, but it was in late October. I lucked out and got a two-week IR rotation at Stanford because one of their students dropped.

I enjoyed my experience and think it landed me an interview at Stanford, but it doesn't guarantee you an interview. There was another medical student rotating with me who had better numbers on paper, but he didn't get an interview invite. Stanford is a niche place where fit matters a lot (they even say as much on their website). Stanford is a good place if you have interests in entrepreneurship or research. It's not the best place to demonstrate your interest in the West coast. Conversely, I think if you do an away rotation at UW you're likely to get an interview invite. It says as much on their website, "We strongly consider visiting students for an interview, but understand that we cannot accommodate everyone."

If you really want the West coast experience, do an away in Southern California. Northern California and Seattle get down to the 40s and 50s during winter, whereas UCLA/UCSD/UC Irvine will stay above 60 F year-round.
When did you apply for these rotations (ie, what month)? Thanks for your input.

Thank you for the responses so far! Would anyone else be willing to give their thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited: