West coast School of Pharmacy class of 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jinwoo

Reaction score
Hello guys! I got accepted to west coast class of 2023, I only applied to two pharmacy schools and got accepted to one school
Is West Coast university college of pharmacy worth going...? I have seen tremendous bad reviews ? Can anyone tell me a factual based answer and not an opinion please. or should I take one more gap year and apply to different Pharm D school..? I'm from SoCal and appreciate your honest comment! Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys! I got accepted to west coast class of 2023, I only applied to two pharmacy schools and got accepted to one school
Is West Coast university college of pharmacy worth going...? I have seen tremendous bad reviews ? Can anyone tell me a factual based answer and not an opinion please. or should I take one more gap year and apply to different Pharm D school..? I'm from SoCal and appreciate your honest comment! Thank you all in advance!
It’s 2019. No pharmacy school is worth going to because there are no jobs for pharmacists. Please refer to the “job market subforum” for more details.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! No it is not going to, especially at socal in 2019! This is fact not opinion!

Members don't see this ad :)
For your own sake look into this idea VERY carefully.....very.....

Fact: The odds of the following happening to you are very high:

Graduating with $200k+ in student loans

Being forced to leave your family and friends in SoCal behind and having to settle in the middle of nowhere, at best

Being unable to find a job period at worst (even rural areas are saturated)

Being in debt for the rest of your life and possibly having your social security garnished

Just looked it up. 190k in just tuition costs? Do not do this. Read all the posts on here and reconsider this profession.

The original dean already left to go work for Rx Prep. The school is located in a extremely saturated neighborhood. Almost a third of the graduating class couldn’t pass the board exam on their first try. Does this seem like it’s worth a $200,000 investment?

What does your gut tell you? Between the quality of the school, the tuition, and the state of the job market, what do *you* think about this situation?

Reactions: 2 users
My gut tells me OP ignores what we say and borrows 200k to attend anyway. He will go to pharmacy school no matter what.

What does your gut tell you? Between the quality of the school, the tuition, and the state of the job market, what do *you* think about this situation?

I might be going to this school, but I am
just wonderong about this school's reputation, does it matter which school I go to? after graduation, I'm also worried about getting a job in the future

just wonderong about this school's reputation, does it matter which school I go to? after graduation, I'm also worried about getting a job in the future
You clearly aren’t listening to us. If you’re worried about getting a job as a pharmacist (as you should) then it is already enough reason to not do pharmacy. Attending a diploma mill on top of that will only lower any prospects you will have of getting a job.

To elaborate, going to a “good pharmacy school” does not matter to employers. This is because while a consumer will pay top dollar to see a good doctor or to hire a good lawyer, nobody cares (or even knows) who their pharmacist is. They only care how quickly they can get their medications. So at the end of the day, no matter if you went to the #1 pharmacy school in the nation or #500 pharmacy school in the nation, you are on the same level in terms of job prospects because you are judged by whether you can hit your metrics or not. Us practicing pharmacists are all telling you to jump ship while you can, so if you wish to continue down this path then all we can say is that you have only yourself to blame in 4 years.

Reactions: 3 users
As of now, one-third of West Coast University’s graduating class of 2018 still can’t pass the California pharmacist license exam called CPJE. If you can’t pass CPJE, you can’t work as a pharmacist in California. No license = No job. Does that help answer your question?
As for the graduates who can’t pass CPJE, they need to consider getting a job outside of California. Just because a school is conveniently located in SoCal does not necessarily mean that you will find work as a pharmacist in SoCal.
Moreover if you’re worried about finding a pharmacist job right now, it’s only going to get worse. Walmart is planning to lay off 40% of their pharmacists across the nation. CVS and Walgreens have been closing down hundreds of stores.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
West Coast University sounds like a fictional name that attempts to evoke "California" like "California University" in Saved by the Bell: The College Years or "Hearst College" in Veronica Mars

Employers don`t give two ****s about where you graduated from if that is what you are asking

So you're considering going to some low-ranked unknown school with terrible reviews and ridiculously high tuition to get into a saturated field experiencing zero job growth, massive hours cut and layoffs, worsening job conditions, and decreasing salaries in one of the most saturated geographical areas in the country?

So you're considering going to some low-ranked unknown school with terrible reviews and ridiculously high tuition to get into a saturated field experiencing zero job growth, massive hours cut and layoffs, worsening job conditions, and decreasing salaries in one of the most saturated geographical areas in the country?
Couldn't say any better !

These are the bread-and-butter types of students who pharmacy schools rely on to stay afloat, my friend.