DREW...CLASS IS NOT FULL!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Don

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't understand DREW. Their class should have been full due to the AMCAS deadline of MArch 29th, so I just contacted the admissions office, and they said that the class is not full!!! meaning that some acceptances will be given out this week...so for those of you who are still waiting GOOD LUCK!!! but the waitlist is not ranked, they can't give me an exact date on when the waitlist is going to move and from what she said, I got the vibe that some of us might even get accepted few days before school starts....MORE WAITING!!!! this process is truly testing our patience....does anybody else have any info on DREW, specially when the waitlist is going to start moving? post it up, thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Whoa! You don't understand the March deadline. The school had to offer enough acceptances to fill their class by then. Those offered the acceptances definitely didn't have to take them!

Thanks for the info Dr. Don.
I'm still waiting to hear from Drew. I hope it's good news. I think my interview went well, but i haven't met anyone who didn't have a good interview. I think their interviewing style is just very nice and friendly. Do u know when they will be sending letters out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also remember that the March deadline only states that a school have offered admissions to at LEAST 100% of its entering class. Schools usually offer acceptances to about 125% to 150% of their entering class before they stop and resort to their waitlist. It might very well be that DREW met the 100% minimum (which they could of told you as "filling their class", but still left room for about another 25% of outright acceptances, which of course would still allow them to generate a waitlist and meet their needs as the cycle moves along.

ok here's an update on DREW. class is not full, you guys know that already. If you are put on the waitlist SEND YOUR LETTER TO ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE or Ms. Hall, do not send it to Dr. Miller seeing that he is so busy that he might not check his mail promptly. Also, DREW is taking care of the DREW/UCLA Medical School graduation and DREW University graduation which are coming up pretty soon, therefore they won't start looking at our waitlist files until 2-3 weeks from now....ain't that a bit-?! anyways that just means more waiting for us. The WAITLIST IS RANKED,we get reviewed based on a letter system (A,B, C, D). the thing is though that ONLY ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE MEMBERS KNOW what those letters stand for...it could very well be that D is higher than A and C, but not B, etc, etc. I don't know, this is just info I got from a private source (school administrator). so best of luck to everyone and if anybody else got some news, let us know! take care

So are the graduations the cause of delayed responses?
I interviewed in Mid-March (over 9 weeks ago!!!) and I still haven't heard anything from them.
Is anyone else still waiting to hear? I'm starting to really get worried since Dr. Miller was so adament in saying that we will hear back from them in six weeks. Is the fact it has taken so much longer a good or bad thing?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by limabeen:
•So are the graduations the cause of delayed responses?
I interviewed in Mid-March (over 9 weeks ago!!!) and I still haven't heard anything from them.
Is anyone else still waiting to hear? I'm starting to really get worried since Dr. Miller was so adament in saying that we will hear back from them in six weeks. Is the fact it has taken so much longer a good or bad thing?•••••LIMABEEN, YOU SHOULD RECEIVE SOMETHING THIS WEEK, I READ SOMEWHERE AROUND HERE THAT THE REMAINING FILES WERE REVIEWED LAST WEDNESDAY AND LETTERS WERE SENT OUT THIS PAST FRIDAY. AS FAR AS THE WAIT GOES, I KNOW THAT JDUB WAITING 11 WEEKS FOR HIS WAITLIST LETTER! SO I DON'T REALLY THINK THAT THE LONGER YOU WAIT THE BETTER IT IS FOR YOU. GOO LUCK!

no new news here, i just wanted to confirm that i did have to wait like 11 or 12 weeks to be put on the waitlist, and that drew/ucla is notoriously slow, so "if you haven't recieved a rejection yet, that is good news, because a lot have been sent". at least that is what an adcom person told me when i was waiting. best of luck and don't let the waiting get you too down.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by jdub:
•no new news here, i just wanted to confirm that i did have to wait like 11 or 12 weeks to be put on the waitlist, and that drew/ucla is notoriously slow, so "if you haven't recieved a rejection yet, that is good news, because a lot have been sent". at least that is what an adcom person told me when i was waiting. best of luck and don't let the waiting get you too down.•••••hey jdub, are you serious about the post-interview rejections being sent out? I honestly thought that everyone that didn't get an acceptance was put on the waitlist, but if that is the case, then I gotta feel good about my waitlist (at least I wasn't rejected!) Is your source legit?

legit, well, it was somebody from the admissions office, but i tend to take what they have to say with a grain of salt. it is like they are given a different script to say everyday to those of us who call on our status . . .

dr. miller did tell my interview group that a lot of the people in the class come off the waitlist though, so that is incouraging. just from the law of numbers/averages, i am pretty sure that at least some people had to have been rejected post interview. drew has to thin the herd somehow and keeping everyone they interview on a waitlist(s) that has/have to be reviewed probably brings more trouble than it is worth.

besides that, i have seen and heard too much variation to put much faith in new information, besides, it seems that a lot of times new information is taylor made for a specific person, like one can't generalize from it.

being quite a cynic as of late, i also think that there most likely aren't any real legit sources or that the information that we really want to know will be never given in full. just my $.02, though. i guess we will just all have to wait and see.

Just to let you guys know, as of about 2 weeks ago, there were about 20 people on the waitlist for Drew. Whether or not this number has increased or decreased is something I do not know.

How did you know that there were only 20 people on the wailist? I was waitlisted about two weeks ago, but I don't think my chances of getting in are that great since Drew only takes about 24 students....

Members don't see this ad :)
caligurl,

they end up accepting about 50 for the 24 spots, give or take a few of course. best of luck.

I was just wondering how you guys were getting all this information about Drew. Can anybody else validate that there is only 20 people on Drew's waitlist...I thought it would be more than that?

I was going crazy waiting after I found out I was on the waitlist, and now I am even more discouraged. I feel like there are so many people on the waitlist & few of us will get pulled off.

I'm kind of thinking that more than 20 people have been accepted because I personally know of two people holding spots there. It might be pure chance, but I'm shocked that out of the two people I personally know who interviewed there, both of them got in and are headed there unless some other schools tell them they are in there.
That would mean there are 18 people I don't know who are holding acceptances.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Jalbrekt:
•I'm kind of thinking that more than 20 people have been accepted because I personally know of two people holding spots there. It might be pure chance, but I'm shocked that out of the two people I personally know who interviewed there, both of them got in and are headed there unless some other schools tell them they are in there.
That would mean there are 18 people I don't know who are holding acceptances.•••••damn Jalbrekt, it's really kind of sad for me to hear that people got in to DREW, but they would go somewhere else if they get accepted. in other words DREW (and probably their mission) is not their priority and they could care less about their community. There are people like us, who hold DREW even higher than the Harvards and Stanfords out there, but we have to WAIT until a spot opens up....this process is whack!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Dr. Don:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Jalbrekt:
•I'm kind of thinking that more than 20 people have been accepted because I personally know of two people holding spots there. It might be pure chance, but I'm shocked that out of the two people I personally know who interviewed there, both of them got in and are headed there unless some other schools tell them they are in there.
That would mean there are 18 people I don't know who are holding acceptances.•••••damn Jalbrekt, it's really kind of sad for me to hear that people got in to DREW, but they would go somewhere else if they get accepted. in other words DREW (and probably their mission) is not their priority and they could care less about their community. There are people like us, who hold DREW even higher than the Harvards and Stanfords out there, but we have to WAIT until a spot opens up....this process is whack!•••••Plenty of people who graduate from medical schools outside of Drew go on to help the underserved. And as I recall, Drew wasn't your top choice until it became you only choice.

... as I recall, Drew wasn't your top choice until it became you only choice.••••Thats straight out cold.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Jedi In Training:
... as I recall, Drew wasn't your top choice until it became you only choice.••••Thats straight out cold.•••••I'm sorry, but I didn't like the holier than thow attitude of the reply.

• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Dr. Don:
That would mean there are 18 people I don't know who are holding acceptances.•••••damn Jalbrekt, it's really kind of sad for me to hear that people got in to DREW, but they would go somewhere else if they get accepted. in other words DREW (and probably their mission) is not their priority and they could care less about their community. There are people like us, who hold DREW even higher than the Harvards and Stanfords out there, but we have to WAIT until a spot opens up....this process is whack!•••••Plenty of people who graduate from medical schools outside of Drew go on to help the underserved. And as I recall, Drew wasn't your top choice until it became you only choice.•••••Jalbrekt, you write as if you have known me all my life, why don't you limit your responses and stop being an as--ole. For a bruin you sure act like a bit-h. For you information DREW was my top choice along with UCLA. Then I found out the truth behind UCLA. UCLA loves to say, oh look at our diversity, we are one of the top schools at accepting URMs, oh look we love our community, look at how many of our graduates go work at our underserved communities...WHEN THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS that if it wasn't for DREW, UCLA will be among the schools that accept the lowest amount of URMs and they don't give a fuc- about the LA underserved community, if you don't have insurance they send you county hospital, not the UCLA medical center. SO THERE I SAID IT, and I love UCLA with a passion, I just don't agree with their ideas, so DREW is the right choice for me, and like you said it is my "only" choice, but to be honest with you it is the "only" school that I know personally that does a lot of good things for their community...and I want to be part of that.

So you insult my two friends and don't expect me to defend them??? Here I was trying to provide usefull information and look at the reply you gave me. Let no good deed go unpunished. Apparently everybody who chooses not to go to drew are terrible people. But ask yourself this. If you got into drew and UCSF called and offered you admission, where would you go??? I'm willing to bet almost 99.9% of the people would say UCSF.

Then I found out the truth behind UCLA. UCLA loves to say, oh look at our diversity, we are one of the top schools at accepting URMs, oh look we love our community, look at how many of our graduates go work at our underserved communities...WHEN THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS that if it wasn't for DREW, UCLA will be among the schools that accept the lowest amount of URMs and they don't give a fuc- about the LA underserved community, if you don't have insurance they send you county hospital, not the UCLA medical center. SO THERE I SAID IT, and I love UCLA with a passion, I just don't agree with their ideas - Don

Don, look I don't about the validity of your other claims, but according to the recent MSAR UCLA (including UCR and Drew people) accepted 44 urms in 2000. Even if you subtract all the Drew people in the class, that still means UCLA proper accepted 20 urms. For a class of 122 (without Drew), that comes out to about 1 in 6. That ratio is not as draconian as you make it seem (compared to other top schools). In addition, UCLA med in not a county hospital, so naturally people who don't have insurance might be turned away unless it's a life or death situation. Since Drew's affiliated hospital is Martin Luther King (a county hospital if I'm not mistaken), they can't turn uninsured people away. In addition, can you site where you're getting your facts about UCLA? Drew is a wonderful program for people who want to exclusively serve the underserved, but at the same time I don't think it's correct to rag about other schools who don't necessarily see that as their #1 goal.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by aesculapian:
•Then I found out the truth behind UCLA. UCLA loves to say, oh look at our diversity, we are one of the top schools at accepting URMs, oh look we love our community, look at how many of our graduates go work at our underserved communities...WHEN THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS that if it wasn't for DREW, UCLA will be among the schools that accept the lowest amount of URMs and they don't give a fuc- about the LA underserved community, if you don't have insurance they send you county hospital, not the UCLA medical center. SO THERE I SAID IT, and I love UCLA with a passion, I just don't agree with their ideas - Don

Don, look I don't about the validity of your other claims, but according to the recent MSAR UCLA (including UCR and Drew people) accepted 44 urms in 2000. Even if you subtract all the Drew people in the class, that still means UCLA proper accepted 20 urms. For a class of 122 (without Drew), that comes out to about 1 in 6. That ratio is not as draconian as you make it seem (compared to other top schools). In addition, UCLA med in not a county hospital, so naturally people who don't have insurance might be turned away unless it's a life or death situation. Since Drew's affiliated hospital is Martin Luther King (a county hospital if I'm not mistaken), they can't turn uninsured people away. In addition, can you site where you're getting your facts about UCLA? Drew is a wonderful program for people who want to exclusively serve the underserved, but at the same time I don't think it's correct to rag about other schools who don't necessarily see that as their #1 goal.•••••bro, you the UCR/UCLA program doesn't accept just non-urms, so if you count about half of those as URMs then that means that UCLA only accepted about 10 or less urms. For a public school that is suppose to train doctors that represent the diversity of LA...less than 10 urms seem a little bit odd.
jalbrekt, arguing with you is a waste of time. let's just leave it at that, and if UCSF would have accepted me along with DREW, I would have chosen DREW, so I guess I fall in that 0.1% that you speak of huh?

•bro, you the UCR/UCLA program doesn't accept just non-urms, so if you count about half of those as URMs then that means that UCLA only accepted about 10 or less urms. For a public school that is suppose to train doctors that represent the diversity of LA...less than 10 urms seem a little bit odd.
•••••Half of UCLA/UCR is URM's??? Where is that stat from? Besides, not all of Drew is URMs. One of the two accepted people I know are persian.

Half of UCLA/UCR is URM's??? Where is that stat from? Besides, not all of Drew is URMs. One of the two accepted people I know are persian.
- Jalbrekt

Exactly. Remember 44 is the number from MSAR and not EVERYBODY accepted to Drew is a urm and not HALF of everybody from the UCR Program is a urm either. It's a mix. That 44 is the combined total. But keep in mind the Drew program is a joint venture with UCLA (thus UCLA/Drew Medical Program), not simply just Drew, so it means that with every entering class of 145, 44 or 30.3% of the total entering class at UCLA each year is from an underrepresented group. Morevover at LEAST 24 entering students each year are specifically training to work with the underserved in the future. There will be differences of opinion on whether that number (24) is too low or whether the Drew component should not be factored into the UCLA statistics to get a representation of how many urm's UCLA proper admits, but at least these are the numbers that are factually given, not assumed or opined.

Half of UCLA/UCR is URM's??? Where is that stat from? Besides, not all of Drew is URMs. One of the two accepted people I know are persian.
- Jalbrekt

Exactly. Remember 44 is the number from MSAR and not EVERYBODY accepted to Drew is a urm and not HALF of everybody from the UCR Program is a urm either. It's a mix. That 44 is the combined total. But keep in mind the Drew program is a joint venture with UCLA (thus UCLA/Drew Medical Program), not simply just Drew, so it means that with every entering class of 145, 44 or 30.3% of the total entering class at UCLA each year is from an underrepresented group. Morevover at LEAST 24 entering students each year are specifically training to work with the underserved in the future. There will be differences of opinion on whether that number (24) is too low or whether the Drew component should not be factored into the UCLA statistics to get a representation of how many urm's UCLA proper admits, but at least these are the numbers that are factually given, not assumed or opined.

well it is official, my letter accepting my alternate list spot has been received by DREW and now more waiting begins. For all my peeps who are on the waitlist, call DREW to make sure they have your letter! I had to call 3 times to make sure that they had it! Does anybody else have any updates?

• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Jedi In Training:
... as I recall, Drew wasn't your top choice until it became you only choice.••••Thats straight out cold.•••••I'm sorry, but I didn't like the holier than thow attitude of the reply.•••••That's down-right wicked. I'm thankful to you cuz you took the time to reply to my USC question, but some of your posts can get pretty negative.

On one front you appear as some altruistic missionary helping the "masses over the few" yet you cast daggers and stones at a fellow SDNer.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by jmejia1:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Jedi In Training:
... as I recall, Drew wasn't your top choice until it became you only choice.••••Thats straight out cold.•••••I'm sorry, but I didn't like the holier than thow attitude of the reply.•••••That's down-right wicked. I'm thankful to you cuz you took the time to reply to my USC question, but some of your posts can get pretty negative.

On one front you appear as some altruistic missionary helping the "masses over the few" yet you cast daggers and stones at a fellow SDNer.•••••Did you read his reply to my post? You are right though. Sometimes I reread my posts and realize they are harsher than they should be. But in this case, I felt I had to defend my friends.

alright peeps...let's just calm down, the argument between jalkbret and me is closed....Joe, what's up man? so any new news? Is USC taking care of you (financially?) keep in touch, late

Does anyone remember the post that said that the last of drew's decisions/letters were have been sent out. It's been two weeks, and I still haven't received anything. Has anyone else received info regarding their status? i interviewed late April. Thanks for any info.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by GrnLt:
•Does anyone remember the post that said that the last of drew's decisions/letters were have been sent out. It's been two weeks, and I still haven't received anything. Has anyone else received info regarding their status? i interviewed late April. Thanks for any info.•••••hye grnlt, I remember that post. It said something like every decision letter should have been sent out by last friday....hopefully you'll receive some good news soon! you can also call the admissions office, their number is 323-563-4952, and ask what's up? keep us posted if you hear any news

I still have no news. anyone else hear anything?

Here's some news i got from the admissions office. There are still 60 to a 100 files out for review, and they hope that these files will be back by june 15th. According to the lad i spoke with, correspondence will be done through email. Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Originally posted by GrnLt:
•Here's some news i got from the admissions office. There are still 60 to a 100 files out for review, and they hope that these files will be back by june 15th. According to the lad i spoke with, correspondence will be done through email. Keep your fingers crossed!!!•[/QUOTE
60-100 files? does that include waitlists? wow!!!! that's crazy!!!! oh well we gotta keep waiting!

I've confirmed GrnLt's info. Called admissions, they say that there are 100 files out (wouldn't say where), and that they would be back on June 14th. (I guess they'll send out information on the 15th???) wheee.....

wanderbray & GrnLt

when did you interview? Have you gotten any Response at all from Drew?

thanks

If there are still files out, does that mean that their class is not full yet? I'm waitlisted and I don't really think there is much hope since there are so few spots.

I posted this at the Allopathic Forum, buit I figured I will posted here too,
THERE IS STILL HOPE...I HOPE :)
hey peeps, for anyone that is interested, I was talking to this med student at DREW and he said that he got in to DREW TWO weeks before school started. He was on his way to Vanderbilt Med when he got the call...THAT's AWESOME! but it makes me think, if he got in to Vandy, he was probably solid anywas, and unfortunately some of us have some weak areas in out file (i.e. my verbal) that may prevent our movement...I just figured I pass this along, peace

•I posted this at the Allopathic Forum, but I figured I will post IT here too,
THERE IS STILL HOPE...I HOPE :)
hey peeps, for anyone that is interested, I was talking to this med student at DREW and he said that he got in to DREW TWO weeks before school started. He was on his way to Vanderbilt Med when he got the call...THAT's AWESOME! but it makes me think, if he got in to Vandy, he was probably solid anyways, and unfortunately some of us have some weak areas in our file (i.e. my verbal) that may prevent our movement...I just thought I pass this along, peace•••••just correcting my grammar...

Check your mailboxes. The letters are coming. I just got mine. Unfortunately it's the message i didn't want. I thought my interview went really well too. Does anyone have a bad interview there? Well, good luck to the rest of you waiting.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by GrnLt:
•Check your mailboxes. The letters are coming. I just got mine. Unfortunately it's the message i didn't want. I thought my interview went really well too. Does anyone have a bad interview there? Well, good luck to the rest of you waiting.•••••Sorry that you received the bad news. My friend had a bad interview there when they started interviewing. What happened was that nobody was available to interview so they grabbed a somewhat reluctant surgeon to do the interview. The surgeon when on to grill my friend throughout the interview. No answer seemed to satisfy the interviewer. To my friend's surprise, the letter sent was an acceptance letter.

so Grnlt, another waitlist? I wonder when the waitlist is going to move...hey jedi, did your friend interview early in the cycle or was it towards the end? was he a stong applicant (i.e. high MCAT, high GPA)? thanks