West Side

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JourneyToMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

So, I'm currently deciding between Johns Hopkins Med and UCLA Med. I went to Cornell for undergrad, and I want to come back to California for residency. What do you think? Where should I go?? :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Forgot to mention that I am a Cali resident. :rolleyes:

This is a pre-Allopathic issue and this thread is moved to the Pre-Allo forum. Allopathic medical students can answer questions in that forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Generally you'd have an easier time getting a residency close to where you went to school. In the case of Hopkins, however, you should be able to go pretty much anywhere. It's a tough choice. Really, you can't lose either way.

Hopkins is the best by far. I would go there hands down unless you definitely 1) Hate baltimore or 2) do not like Hopkins. UCLA is a great school and people def get into fantastic residencies, but as another poster said, you can go anywhere from Johns Hopkins.

I don't know anything about UCLA, so I can't give you any useful advice, but congratulations, that's quite a nice problem to have.

Also, let us know what you decide--I'm on the Hopkins Alternate List, so I'll need to know whether to scratch Journey-to-MD off my "People I Need to Send my Uncle Vito to Have a Little Talk With/Make an Offer They Can't Refuse" List :)

edit: before my fellow Italian-American SDNers jump all over me for propagating negative stereotypes, let me just say--Relax, it was just a joke!

Hi all.

So, I'm currently deciding between Johns Hopkins Med and UCLA Med. I went to Cornell for undergrad, and I want to come back to California for residency. What do you think? Where should I go?? :scared:

You must go with your gut feeling about where you will be happiest, not just where you think you should go based on statistics about residencies. I was in a similar situation 4 yrs ago when I was applying to PhD programs where I had to choose between a well-known top 10 program and a lesser well known but still very good program. Ultimately, I chose the latter because I felt quality of life (area, finances, people) would be far better at that school. I have not regretted my choice and I do not feel that I really missed out on anything. Four years in a graduate level program is an extremely difficult and trying endeavor. You cannot, as a MS0, really fathom what you will go through and experience. Bottem line is, no matter where you go in the US, if you work hard and make good use of your time and the opportunities available to you, you will end up in a terrific residency with a terrific future. AND it is MUCH easier to do exceptionally well when you are extremely happy. So go where you will be happy! :)

Carbon, did you catch Ms Amos performing that song on Letterman last night?