West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone that interviewed last week hear anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted? lol anyone know if the portal says "accept applicant" does that mean an acceptance??

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone else get accepted on a contingency (you have to complete one of the required classes and send in your transcript)? They received my transcript a few days ago but it still has the contingency class uncompleted on the online checklist. Should I give them a few weeks then send an email if it is still unchecked?

Just turned down my acceptance here. Hope one of you gets it!

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to drop in and give those still waiting on acceptance some hope. I was accepted several months ago with a 492 MCAT score. If anything, this is just proof that WVSOM isn't all about the numbers. They really look at each candidate as a whole and not just what their GPA or MCAT score was.

Reactions: 10 users
I was told by admissions to retake my mcat it was really low. I retook last summer and got accepted this cycle. I would call and ask about your application they will most likely tell you or give you advice on what to do.

Hey Smokeyboogs49,
Congrats on your acceptance!! What was your previous MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this school have mandatory attendence? Thanks

Thanks! It was a 19 on the old one

Thank you! How did the other schools view your 496?

P.S. I can't wait to hear all about your journey through medical school! You must be so excited. :)

Thank you! How did the other schools view your 496?

P.S. I can't wait to hear all about your journey through medical school! You must be so excited. :)
It still hasn't hit me that I've been accepted haha it still seems like a dream. As of right now I had an interview at BCOM but turned that down a while ago. My first interview was at LECOM, which now I am waitlisted. My second interview was WVSOM and I'm so greatful that I got accepted. Having a 496 I almost gave up. But something told me not to and give it another shot. My advice to people who have doubts is just to never give up no matter what. All it takes is one person to like you.

Reactions: 6 users
Have the interview tomorrow, so nervous and excited...

It still hasn't hit me that I've been accepted haha it still seems like a dream. As of right now I had an interview at BCOM but turned that down a while ago. My first interview was at LECOM, which now I am waitlisted. My second interview was WVSOM and I'm so greatful that I got accepted. Having a 496 I almost gave up. But something told me not to and give it another shot. My advice to people who have doubts is just to never give up no matter what. All it takes is one person to like you.
Thank you for saying this :)

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if there are ward-based rotations at this school? If so, is there a form or something that says which ones are/aren't?

Does anyone know if there are ward-based rotations at this school? If so, is there a form or something that says which ones are/aren't?

Just got off the wards (2 months of inpatient internal medicine rotation). When you select your site during second year, they will give you a "preference form" to fill out. If you want ward based rotations, just specify that you wish to be inpatient as much as possible, although it's not a guarantee on each rotation. For example, family med will be outpatient more than likely. My psych rotation was 50/50 spending time in the hospital and at his outpatient clinic.

Just got off the wards (2 months of inpatient internal medicine rotation). When you select your site during second year, they will give you a "preference form" to fill out. If you want ward based rotations, just specify that you wish to be inpatient as much as possible, although it's not a guarantee on each rotation. For example, family med will be outpatient more than likely. My psych rotation was 50/50 spending time in the hospital and at his outpatient clinic.
Thanks!

Is there a student Facebook page I'm looking for info on housing

Guys... I got in :soexcited::soexcited::highfive:

Interviewed 1/23, cGPA 3.4, sGPA, 3.4, MCAT 502

Reactions: 9 users
Guys... I got in :soexcited::soexcited::highfive:

Interviewed 1/23, cGPA 3.4, sGPA, 3.4, MCAT 502

Congrats!!

Just a question, you interviewed 1/23 and they already got back to you!? That is crazy fast turn around.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congrats!!

Just a question, you interviewed 1/23 and they already got back to you!? That is crazy fast turn around.

I know, right? I woke up to an e-mail this morning asking me to fill out a survey and it made me super anxious... So I checked the portal and there it was! Love that turnaround.

"Accept with Contingency." I interviewed last week and found out this morning, is this for real?!?!! I am beyond ecstatic, I fell in love with WVSOM. :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 4 users
I know, right? I woke up to an e-mail this morning asking me to fill out a survey and it made me super anxious... So I checked the portal and there it was! Love that turnaround.

Wow, very cool! Congrats!
I'm interviewing there at the end of feb and hope I get similar turn around time haha!

congrats! do you mind sharing your stats? is the contingency just based of you finishing a class or something?
"Accept with Contingency." I interviewed last week and found out this morning, is this for real?!?!! I am beyond ecstatic, I fell in love with WVSOM. :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

would you be kind and PM as well, I am interested in knowing whats the contingency as I have classes to finish yet! thank you

Has anyone on here been rejected post-interview? I am still sitting a decision deferred by committee post-interview and was wondering if this is a nice way to say rejected?

Also, is anyone else decision deferred post-interview?

Has anyone on here been rejected post-interview? I am still sitting a decision deferred by committee post-interview and was wondering if this is a nice way to say rejected?

Also, is anyone else decision deferred post-interview?

Nope, decision deferred means you're still in the game. They're just going to go over your application again later on. I've read several posts about people being decision deferred and getting accepted later in the cycle. If I were you, I would email/call and continue to express interest in the program.

Them not hearing anything from you could make them think that you're not interested anymore. Just something to think about.

any one know about the third and fourth year rotations? Correct me if Im wrong but 3rd year the rotations are within WV and 4th year is nationwide??

would you be kind and PM as well, I am interested in knowing whats the contingency as I have classes to finish yet! thank you

Mine was with contingency too, it's because I have to finish a psychology class I'm taking this term! You just have to complete it and show them by the time you matriculate.

Reactions: 1 users
Yep similar situation here, I just need to finish an English course to matriculate. :)

Nope, decision deferred means you're still in the game. They're just going to go over your application again later on. I've read several posts about people being decision deferred and getting accepted later in the cycle. If I were you, I would email/call and continue to express interest in the program.

Them not hearing anything from you could make them think that you're not interested anymore. Just something to think about.

I have seen many people with deferred status pre-interview, but not post-interview. And I don't think I've seen anyone rejected? I looked over the prior year posts and it seems like the post-interview deferred status people are not really given a decision, or at least it's not posted on here. They are still asking for updates in April/May:( Over the past 2 years I've only found 5 people say they were decision deferred post-interview (although there are MANY pre-interview).

I have continued to show interest in the program, but trying to get a real gauge of where what my chances are.

I have seen many people with deferred status pre-interview, but not post-interview. And I don't think I've seen anyone rejected? I looked over the prior year posts and it seems like the post-interview deferred status people are not really given a decision, or at least it's not posted on here. They are still asking for updates in April/May:( Over the past 2 years I've only found 5 people say they were decision deferred post-interview (although there are MANY pre-interview).

I have continued to show interest in the program, but trying to get a real gauge of where what my chances are.

I don't know about this school particularly, but I am wait listed at 4 schools right now and I'm still optimistic.... I have an interview here next month too. My only advice is to "ride it out". :) For the time being; Love life and have fun!

I don't know about this school particularly, but I am wait listed at 4 schools right now and I'm still optimistic.... I have an interview here next month too. My only advice is to "ride it out". :) For the time being; Love life and have fun!

Waitlisted at 4!! is your mcat low?

Waitlisted at 4!! is your mcat low?

I'm not Waitlisted. According to admissions, Waitlisted is when you are accepted if there is room. I'm decision deferred which means they haven't made a decision on if they'll accept you or not. I don't think they do this a lot, so that's why I am wondering if anyone else is decision deferred post interview.

any one know about the third and fourth year rotations? Correct me if Im wrong but 3rd year the rotations are within WV and 4th year is nationwide??

Yes that is correct! The caveat is that if you want to rotate at hospitals outside of the statewide campus system, you have to do most of the leg work which includes setting up an affiliation agreement, etc. It's not bad though, I'm setting all my 4th year rotations up in MN and most already have affiliation agreements and the ones that didn't were easy to set up. Just start early if you plan to set them up yourself. Your regional dean will of course help you.

Yes that is correct! The caveat is that if you want to rotate at hospitals outside of the statewide campus system, you have to do most of the leg work which includes setting up an affiliation agreement, etc. It's not bad though, I'm setting all my 4th year rotations up in MN and most already have affiliation agreements and the ones that didn't were easy to set up. Just start early if you plan to set them up yourself. Your regional dean will of course help you.
Ok thanks! Do you think it would be possible to rotate in several different states or do you think that would be hard to do??

Ok thanks! Do you think it would be possible to rotate in several different states or do you think that would be hard to do??

Nope, my first two auditions for next year are in South Carolina and Michigan. Hoping to land my third audition in Minnesota. As long as you start early you can attain the rotations you want (and if you have decent board scores because some places will have a cutoff in order to rotate).

Nope, my first two auditions for next year are in South Carolina and Michigan. Hoping to land my third audition in Minnesota. As long as you start early you can attain the rotations you want (and if you have decent board scores because some places will have a cutoff in order to rotate).
Ok great thats good to hear! Thank you for your input!