West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got placed on the alternate list (waitlist) last week :/ I really want to attend WVSOM, anyone have any advice or insight on how to proceed from here? Or any comments on the movement of the waitlist in the past?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know when the white coat ceremony is?

anyone decision deferred PRE interview and has gotten off of it?

Does anyone know much about the Alternate List?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am also decision deferred pre II :/ do people generally get interviews with this? I'm nervous

II on Monday for 02/27. I've been complete since late August so don't lose hope!

Hi everyone! Just interviewed 01/30 and got an alternate status the next day... does anyone have any info about how the wait list works at WVSOM? is it ranked?

Does anyone know much about the Alternate List?
I'm wondering the same thing...i was just put on the wait list and so was EVERYONE I interviewed with! Are they seriously already full??

I'm wondering the same thing...i was just put on the wait list and so was EVERYONE I interviewed with! Are they seriously already full??
You do realize that they don't have an obligation to accept ANYONE from an interview right? They could easily accept 90% of one interview class and then accept 0% of the next one.

Wait lists will see plenty of movement in the coming months due to people dropping their seat in lieu of an acceptance to a school they would prefer to go to. I definitely feel ya on the uncertainty but I still think the odds are on your side.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

II on Monday for 02/27. I've been complete since late August so don't lose hope!

what were your stats if you don't mind me asking? also, did they defer you pre-II or was it just decision pending on your status?

what were your stats if you don't mind me asking? also, did they defer you pre-II or was it just decision pending on your status?

High MCAT, Low sGPA, meh cGPA. I was never deferred or anything I was always "decision pending".

You do realize that they don't have an obligation to accept ANYONE from an interview right? They could easily accept 90% of one interview class and then accept 0% of the next one.
well ill take the compliment! honestly i interviewed with a rad group of people. we all exchanged contact info and have been keeping each up on our status with the school. To me that spoke really highly of the schools ability to get a strong group of people together. I'm super excited, I hope I'm there in July!

And! For everyone who is worried about gpa and all the "criteria" I am a SUPER nontraditional applicant.

OOS, 29 years old.
I have a BFA from the pacific northwest college of art, I majored in sculpture--GPA 3.16
Post-bacc program at SFSU, hella hard, --GPA 3.32, cumulative 3.26
400+ hours shadowing DO
250 hours volunteering at San Francisco General Hospital at an abortion clinic
Certified phlebotomist, never worked just trained
I work for a health and wellness newsletter, so I write a lot about studies and trends in health care.

-Here's the kicker-
June MCAT (1st attempt) 494 (first time bio got me)
September MCAT (2nd attempt) 495 (second time psych got me)

My father is an osteopath, so I have a lot of experience with the culture of medicine and I really made up for my low scores with experience. My advice to anyone looking to apply that feels they won't be qualified on paper, get yourself in the medical environment so you can write a killer essay about what this kind of work means to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Does anybody remember what kind of computer we get for first year? I thought I saw something about that earlier in this thread but couldn't find it!

Respectfully turned down my acceptance today. Hopefully it goes to one of you deserving folks. Best of luck everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you! I interviewed January 5th. I was impressed by the school and everyone was very nice.
Hoping for some love from here. Interviewed 12/12, but am decision deferred by committee. Where did you end up?
Also is that your dog? I'm a huge dog lover:) It's a beautiful dog.

Hoping for some love from here. Interviewed 12/12, but am decision deferred by committee. Where did you end up?
Also is that your dog? I'm a huge dog lover:) It's a beautiful dog.

I hope you get in! Being patient is the worst but as the cycle progresses more people will move around and hopefully there will be a spot for you here if this is where you really want to be! I was also accepted to PCOM, waitlisted at Upstate Med and waiting to hear back after interviewing at Drexel. Sooo I am not sure yet. Yes, dogs are the greatest and he is the man!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got put on hold, no interview or anything. Is this bad, should i lose hope?

Does anyone have a recent match list for wvsom? I think I asked a few pages back but I can't seem to find it. Mucho appreciated!

Hi all! Just got placed on their Alternate List today. Is there a way of telling where on the list you are/ your likelihood of being accepted in the upcoming weeks/months? I love WVSOM and am trying to be as positive as I can. Thanks!

List isn't bad, but virtually no matches into hyper-competitive fields (neurosurg, ortho, oto, derm, rad onc etc) and very few into any surgical fields. So it seems like they're true to their mantra of basically preparing just primary care physicians. If that's what you're sold on, WVSOM is solid. Looks like nearly everyone who graduates places (~99% over the past 5 years). Comlex pass rate seems to hover between 84-91% for first take, which is alright.

List isn't bad, but virtually no matches into hyper-competitive fields (neurosurg, ortho, oto, derm, rad onc etc) and very few into any surgical fields. So it seems like they're true to their mantra of basically preparing just primary care physicians. If that's what you're sold on, WVSOM is solid. Looks like nearly everyone who graduates places (~99% over the past 5 years). Comlex pass rate seems to hover between 84-91% for first take, which is alright.

the great debate is whether the school is pushing students into primary care fields orrrr if their mantra draws people who are already into primary care, you know? From all the current students I have talked to about this school, it seems like they don't push you towards primary care and there are plenty of opportunities and student groups available to focus on specific non-primary care residencies. They do have pretty solid and consistent internal medicine matches, which is what I want personally. But yeah, if you're gunning for derm and ortho, this school probably won't be the best bet.

the great debate is whether the school is pushing students into primary care fields orrrr if their mantra draws people who are already into primary care, you know? From all the current students I have talked to about this school, it seems like they don't push you towards primary care and there are plenty of opportunities and student groups available to focus on specific non-primary care residencies. They do have pretty solid and consistent internal medicine matches, which is what I want personally. But yeah, if you're gunning for derm and ortho, this school probably won't be the best bet.
That's the feel I got when I interviewed there. It seems that many students self-select for primary care, and that's not a bad thing. But the resources are there if you want to pursue other interests. I spoke to several students who were interested in surgery/rads etc. I highly doubt you get locked into pursuing PC, though the emphasis on rural care is there if that's the direction you want to go in. The IM matches are fairly strong/consistent, and that's what I'm interested in so personally it works out :)

Real talk, if you want to do a hyper competitive residency, a DO school in general is not going to be a good path (usually due to lack of resources/subspecialty staff that most MD schools have).

However, I am indeed a firm believer in the fact that if you work HARD, and be the quintessential student, you can get the residency you want. You will certainly have to make sacrifices if you want to do ortho, etc.

As a third year at WVSOM, the school does emphasize primary care, but doesn't hinder people from wanting to do a specialty (plenty of friends going into specialties including myself).

Real talk, if you want to do a hyper competitive residency, a DO school in general is not going to be a good path (usually due to lack of resources/subspecialty staff that most MD schools have).
Thanks for your insight @Tri4thlete !! I definitely agree. Would you mind commenting on how rotations have been for you so far since you've started your clinical years and strength of rotations/opportunities in general in WV?

However, I am indeed a firm believer in the fact that if you work HARD, and be the quintessential student, you can get the residency you want. You will certainly have to make sacrifices if you want to do ortho, etc.

As a third year at WVSOM, the school does emphasize primary care, but doesn't hinder people from wanting to do a specialty (plenty of friends going into specialties including myself).

Thanks for your insight @Tri4thlete !! I definitely agree. Would you mind commenting on how rotations have been for you so far and strength of rotations/opportunities in general in WV?

Thanks for your insight @Tri4thlete !! I definitely agree. Would you mind commenting on how rotations have been for you so far and strength of rotations/opportunities in general in WV?

I can't compare WVSOM to another school obviously, but so far I feel like I have been getting adequate educational experiences third year. Since we use a preceptor model, some preceptors are better than others, but for the most part rotations are what YOU make of it. If you want to laze around and skate by, you can do that. If you want to work hard and learn things about medicine, then be sure to ask questions and be proactive in your learning. I'm in the Southwest region so I get to rotate with Marshall University MD students, residents, PA students from University of Kentucky, etc. Most of the time I get one on one time with my preceptor, sometimes I have to share with another medical student. All in all, it's been a great experience so far!

PS: Third year is the bomb omb. For you all matriculating this year, remember that in the dark times of studying for step 1 boards, year 3 is around the corner and it's awesome :)

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone interviewing this coming monday ( the 20th)?

Accepted off the wait list! Almost missed this because I figured they would email me with changes, but then I got it by mail (my roommates and I only check the mail every few days!). I was wait listed on 1/31 and accepted 2/9 to give anyone who's on the list a possible sense of movement! Obviously not sure how they choose people off of it though.

Reactions: 5 users

I remember there was a dude from WVSOM several years ago who matched into John's Hopkins for Anesthesia (which is a top residency, I checked anesthesia forums to be sure). So it is definitely possible with the board scores and clinical grade to get a pretty good residency.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted off the wait list! Almost missed this because I figured they would email me with changes, but then I got it by mail (my roommates and I only check the mail every few days!). I was wait listed on 1/31 and accepted 2/9 to give anyone who's on the list a possible sense of movement! Obviously not sure how they choose people off of it though.

Just out of curiosity, when did you interview?