West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just WVSOM

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone wait listed elsewhere? If so has there been much movement at other DO schools. Wishing everyone luck, especially all those posting.

I was accepted to UNECOM off the waitlist. I'm also waitlisted at PCOM and an MD school, but WVSOM is my first choice.

I was accepted to UNECOM off the waitlist. I'm also waitlisted at PCOM and an MD school, but WVSOM is my first choice.
Congratulations on your acceptance! I bet that is a relief. Have you noticed movement at the other schools?

Congratulations on your acceptance! I bet that is a relief. Have you noticed movement at the other schools?

Thank you! It very much is! Honestly no, I haven't. PCOM seemed to be accepting their decision deferred applicants and I think I heard of one student getting off the waitlist at TCMC. UNECOM did have some others get off however.

Only WVSOM for me, which is fine because it is also my top choice! @ekon Congrats on your acceptance at UNECOM!

Reactions: 1 users
Talked to Gwen, she told me there is around 100 people on the waitlist.................

I forgot all other inquiries at that moment so that's about the gist of our conversation. She said call back mid June.

Talked to Gwen, she told me there is around 100 people on the waitlist.................

I forgot all other inquiries at that moment so that's about the gist of our conversation. She said call back mid June.
We can not give up hope. Look at SDN in the past and many in our shoes have gotten in. The numbers were probably the same the last few years. There are probably many on the list like Elon who have an acceptance and deposits already paid. Do not give up, I am not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lmaoooo 100?! Well time to start working on applications

Reactions: 2 users
Lmaoooo 100?! Well time to start working on applications
Pretty much. She was telling me to wait to reapply until mid June, but I think I'm going to go ahead and submit early cause I'm feeling more and more like I need to be prepared either way. I registered for anatomy and microbio in the fall, too! We shall see. I dearly hope to see you all at orientation :)

Teach me your ways of being optimistic. Very difficult to remain hopeful at this stage of the game.

Anyone have less than a 3.2 sGPA and have gotten accepted here or anywhere? ... also, I spoke with Danny some time ago, he told me last year they had roughly 100 on the alt list and roughly 50 or 60 students were accepted from that list

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
It's like 76 degrees here today, we just grilled some burgers, had some beers, and are headed to the beach soon. The only thing that is keeping me positive is knowing that there is so much good in life, and we should all be very proud of ourselves for achieving as much as we have. Seriously, it's not an easy task getting into med school, and this process is keeping us humble which is really really really important. When we get in, we aren't going to take it for granted--just think about how good a burger and beer is gonna taste then! :biglove:

Reactions: 3 users
After reading the last page or so of posts, I'd like to share my thoughts.

My wife tacked on two years of college to get the prerequisites she needed to apply (she's a Fine Arts major, concentration in Pottery), and didn't get any interviews her first application cycle (2008-2009, because she applied late). But she stuck to it, reapplied the next cycle, got a single interview (yes, at WVSOM), and is now graduated and out in residency. Don't believe that a year delay means much in the grand scheme of medical education. It's a long, long road. I'll be 38 when I graduate in 2019. You just have to stick to it.

For the underdogs reading this, do not sit idle. Add on another semester/year of college, help with some research, work as a scribe, anything to be proactive. Make the strongest case you can for yourself, show that you're on the upswing whether you're in med school or not. Keep a positive attitude, apply as early as possible, and don't stop beefing up your application (and updating it when appropriate).

Reactions: 4 users
Withdrew my name from the alternate list. Good luck.

Pretty much. She was telling me to wait to reapply until mid June, but I think I'm going to go ahead and submit early cause I'm feeling more and more like I need to be prepared either way. I registered for anatomy and microbio in the fall, too! We shall see. I dearly hope to see you all at orientation :)
Mad props to all of you staying optimistic. I'm struggling to be honest.

Withdrew my name from the alternate list. Good luck.
wtf joe!!!!!!!! WHY?? Probably something good like U got in somewhere else which is awesome but I'm sad we won't be classmates!! Best of luck to you!

@ChipotleLover I am also struggling. In 3 days I am homeless because I can't sign a lease as I may get pulled off the alternate list. I am in the process of moving back to my parents house and hopefully hearing some good news soon! This is the most bizarre experience I have ever been through. I am getting ready for the next application cycle. The waiting is the hardest part and I feel like no one truly understands unless they have gone through it themselves. :cryi: At least we all have each other!:biglove:

@ChipotleLover I am also struggling. In 3 days I am homeless because I can't sign a lease as I may get pulled off the alternate list. I am in the process of moving back to my parents house and hopefully hearing some good news soon! This is the most bizarre experience I have ever been through. I am getting ready for the next application cycle. The waiting is the hardest part and I feel like no one truly understands unless they have gone through it themselves. :cryi: At least we all have each other!:biglove:

I moved in with my parents over the weekend (lease up 5/31). I wish they would at least tell us a general idea of where we are listed...i.e. top, middle, or bottom tier so we would have an idea of our chances. This waiting and not being able to plan the move and where I'm gonna live, etc. is killing me. And you're right, no one understands unless they have gone through it. People keep asking me where I am going to school and they look at me like a deer in the headlights when I tell them it starts 7/24 and I still don't know if I'm are in or not

Once school starts we'll all meet up over drinks and talk about how much this all sucked lol

Yeah! I'm kind of in the same boat. I have to choose between a few Masters programs as my backup but I don't even know which will give me the best shot of getting in to medical school eventually and on top of that I don't want to drop like $200-$300 on apps before hearing back from WVSOM. What I might do is send out 2-3 apps in these next few weeks just to be safe and the rest after I hear back from WVSOM.

Yeah! I'm kind of in the same boat. I have to choose between a few Masters programs as my backup but I don't even know which will give me the best shot of getting in to medical school eventually and on top of that I don't want to drop like $200-$300 on apps before hearing back from WVSOM. What I might do is send out 2-3 apps in these next few weeks just to be safe and the rest after I hear back from WVSOM.
I also did masters as a backup. I applied to two. I am also retaking my MCAT on 6/1 so maybe I won't have to go through this next cycle if it doesn't work out. What masters programs did you apply to?

When I called Gwen she told me to call back mid June and she made it seem like if we are not pulled by then they will give us more information specific to our position on the list.... like if the chances aren't likely you will get pulled they'll tell you, but not until mid June. Not gonna pretend to understand their system but hang tight everyone! All we can do is wait and maybe try and stay busy.

I also did masters as a backup. I applied to two. I am also retaking my MCAT on 6/1 so maybe I won't have to go through this next cycle if it doesn't work out. What masters programs did you apply to?

I've been accepted into Midwestern at Downers Grove, IL and Marian in Indianapolis. Marian guarantees me an interview to their med school if I maintain a 3.5 GPA in the fall semester, where the curriculum does not seem that challenging. Midwestern doesn't guarantee me anything but it the connections I could form and also have a Masters from MIDWESTERN. But the catch for Marian is that after that 1 year, I can still apply for their med school, but if I don't get it, I don't get my masters, I'd have to complete their second year program to get my masters. So I'm torn between the two.

I just got off the phone with Midwestern and they told me it's highly unlikely they will even give me an interview since I don't fall underneath 2-3 standard deviations of the previous year MCAT average so I think I'm going Marian for my backup.

Hi guys, I have been one of those creepy lurkers of SDN who never created an account but has watched out for movement on this forum. But just wanted to say that I just got an email offer for acceptance from the waitlist here at WVSOM! So it is moving. Keep being positive, from what I hear you've got a lot of movement coming up. Can't wait to see you all on the 25th!

Interviewed 3/13
Waitlisted 3/21
Accepted 5/25

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hi guys, I have been one of those creepy lurkers of SDN who never created an account but has watched out for movement on this forum. But just wanted to say that I just got an email offer for acceptance from the waitlist here at WVSOM! So it is moving. Keep being positive, from what I hear you've got a lot of movement coming up. Can't wait to see you all on the 25th!

Interviewed 3/16
Waitlisted 3/21
Accepted 5/25

Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Congratulations! Do you mind sharing your stats?
Thanks!

cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.3, 25 MCAT old version, and I think the thing that did it for me was my PS and the ECs I had. Were very mission -oriented IMO. I really hope the rest of you get some good news in the upcoming weeks. Like I said, I lurked a lot on this forum and it seems like you guys are great people!

Thanks!

cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.3, 25 MCAT old version, and I think the thing that did it for me was my PS and the ECs I had. Were very mission -oriented IMO. I really hope the rest of you get some good news in the upcoming weeks. Like I said, I lurked a lot on this forum and it seems like you guys are great people!
Yessssssssss awesome news! Maybe cause it's early or cause I haven't had coffee yet but what are PS and ECs??? So happy for ya I hope we can all hang! Congrats dudee :banana::xf:

They just sent an E-mail out to anyone holding multiple acceptances to decide by the end of the day so there is definitely going to be a lot of movement soon!

Are any of you trying to decide between wvsom and another school? Or just waiting on wvsom?

Reactions: 5 users
Yessssssssss awesome news! Maybe cause it's early or cause I haven't had coffee yet but what are PS and ECs??? So happy for ya I hope we can all hang! Congrats dudee :banana::xf:
PS = Personal Statement and EC = Extracurriculars.

And Thanks! Yeah I really hope it's true that there is a lot of movement for you guys. In the meantime, keep being positive! One day you WILL become doctors!

They just sent an E-mail out to anyone holding multiple acceptances to decide by the end of the day so there is definitely going to be a lot of movement soon!

Are any of you trying to decide between wvsom and another school? Or just waiting on wvsom?

I saw on another post that you were trying to decide between VCOM and WVSOM. Did you decide on WVSOM?

Interviewed 3/16
Waitlisted 3/21
Accepted 5/25

Congrats on your acceptance! That is so exciting!! Did they call you as well, or did you just receive an email?

Thanks everyone for the updates! Congrats @DOOK605 on getting accepted!! This gives me hope for us!

Congrats on your acceptance! That is so exciting!! Did they call you as well, or did you just receive an email?
Just an email. Then a little while later sent some survey thing, don't know if that is linked to anything. Glad they didn't call though, would have been crying like a baby if they did.

Interviewed 3/16
Waitlisted 3/21
Accepted 5/25

Wow you and I had literally the same timeline as last year! Amazing. Congrats!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I believe you! Just curious as to how you came about this information.

Honestly it was such a tough decision. I really loved wvsom but being from a small town myself and disliking it, I couldn't see myself in Lewisburg. So I did decide on VCOM. I hope I don't regret it lol. I'm kind of bummed because you all seem like amazing future classmates. Hope you all get a seat this year!
Good luck to you at VCOM!! :doctor::bookworm: You won't regret it, you gotta go with your gut!

Honestly it was such a tough decision. I really loved wvsom but being from a small town myself and disliking it, I couldn't see myself in Lewisburg. So I did decide on VCOM. I hope I don't regret it lol. I'm kind of bummed because you all seem like amazing future classmates. Hope you all get a seat this year!
My backup plan is the master's program at VCOM. Looks like a great school to me. Best of luck to you!

My backup plan is the master's program at VCOM. Looks like a great school to me. Best of luck to you!
Good luck to you at VCOM!! :doctor::bookworm: You won't regret it, you gotta go with your gut!

Thank you both! Best of luck to you. I'm still going to be creeping on this thread in hopes that you all get a seat in the class haha. Fingers crossed :)