West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did she mean that they were going to meet on wether or not they would offer roll over admissions? Or that they would actually for sure offer it??

It's a case by case basis

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Any news from anyone or anyone who knows anyone?? Or maybe someone talk to anyone from admissions?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an email saying they've filled their class. I totally forgot I even applied to them.

... or is everyone giving up?

I spoke to admission on Monday. Nothing new, just that there had been a slight increase in movement since the last time I emailed (last month) and they had no way of predicting how many spots would open between now and the beginning of class. And to "hang in there"....

I don't have a lot of hope:(

Reactions: 1 users
Also got the email that the class is full, totally forgot I even applied here

Since the class is full, the only remaining hope for those of us on the AL is rollover admission

Technically the class has been "full" since March. The timing of this email is insignificant I think. People bail last second, things happen

Since the class is full, the only remaining hope for those of us on the AL is rollover admission

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys. Been a while since I pulled my name off the AL. I'm really pulling for you all to get in this cycle! Best of luck to you all.

Reactions: 3 users
Technically the class has been "full" since March. The timing of this email is insignificant I think. People bail last second, things happen

Dude points out a key fact. But I too have little to no hope. I don't know when to start looking to places to live in Indy (where I've gotten into this Masters program) if class starts late August. I would do absolutely anything to be accepted into WVSOM. I just don't know what to do.

How much do info do the lot of you know about applicants on the AL being rolled over? 1) How often does it happen? 2) How many students do they offer the option to be rolled over to the following year?

Dude points out a key fact. But I too have little to no hope. I don't know when to start looking to places to live in Indy (where I've gotten into this Masters program) if class starts late August. I would do absolutely anything to be accepted into WVSOM. I just don't know what to do.

How much do info do the lot of you know about applicants on the AL being rolled over? 1) How often does it happen? 2) How many students do they offer the option to be rolled over to the following year?

There are no definite answers to your questions. All they will tell you is that they're making rollover decisions on year-by-year bases.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the acceptance letter this morning! Holy crap

Yea thanks. Interviewed 2/24, sGPA 3.45, MCAT 492

Question: I don't have a letter of recommendation from a DO -- will that disqualify me from WVSOM?

Context: I am going to shadow a DO this upcoming week, so I will not be lacking any exposure. I do have a letter of rec from an MD, though. I foolishly used all six recommendation spots on AACOMAS, so I don't have any room for a DO LOR. Even if I could get one, I wouldn't be able to submit it. Does WVSOM understand this problem?

Question: I don't have a letter of recommendation from a DO -- will that disqualify me from WVSOM?

Context: I am going to shadow a DO this upcoming week, so I will not be lacking any exposure. I do have a letter of rec from an MD, though. I foolishly used all six recommendation spots on AACOMAS, so I don't have any room for a DO LOR. Even if I could get one, I wouldn't be able to submit it. Does WVSOM understand this problem?
They require a DO letter.

Awesome! I have similar stats, so maybe there's still hope. Are you traditional or non-traditional?

I guess you can say I'm more traditional than non... although I am married and have 2 kids, I'm a white male, and from utah. Other than that, that's as nontraditional as I get . Keep your head up! And show then as much interest in their school as you can. Me and Danny made pretty good friends.

I guess you can say I'm more traditional than non... although I am married and have 2 kids, I'm a white male, and from utah. Other than that, that's as nontraditional as I get . Keep your head up! And show then as much interest in their school as you can. Me and Danny made pretty good friends.

Did you do anything outstanding the average applicant? Just trying to get a vibe of what qualifications/criteria/factors they're looking into from the students on the AL.

I have about 800 pt hrs, around 200 service hours, a year of a personal research project experience, other various leadership roles and responsibilities, and a fair amount of rural service (etc.)... I also served a full time 2 yr ecclesiastical mission for my church and learned Spanish

Last edited:
GOT ACCEPTED OFF OF THE ALTERNATE LIST THIS MORNING!!!!!!!! I AM SO HAPPY!!! THERE IS HOPE!!!

Reactions: 8 users
cGPA: 3.81, sGPA: 3.36, MCAT: 497
I volunteered on a humanitarian trip to Latin America, studied abroad to Europe, worked as a CNA in a hospital and a nursing home for over a year, volunteered with Big Brothers Big Sisters for the last 3.5 years and in a hospital for 2.5 years, have about 200+ shadowing hours, President of a medical organization over the last year, and have been scribing in an ER for the last 7 months. Obviously my MCAT and sGPA are lower, but everything else on my app balanced out, and I had an overall upward trend throughout undergrad. The first two years were "okay" grades, and the last 3 years were great. There is hope!! I definitely recommend keeping in contact with admissions if you are interested in this school. They seem to take note of it.

For those of you who have been accepted late off the AL, can you share any advice or tips for where to look for housing? Preferably places that are furnished, but at this point, anything close to campus is truly preferred. Or if anyone is looking for roommate/s?

Hi all I was wondering if anyone in this could help me out. I received my MCAT score recently and was really bummed out (scored lower than most practice). I was wondering if I had a shot here for the 2018-2019 cycle. I just applied a week ago. I'm an out of state student, planning a visit to the school in August. GPA: 3.59, sGPA 3.27 MCAT 497, ~100 hours hospital volunteering, 700 hours cancer genetics research, 60 hours shadowing, CNA certified, Greek life, Scholars, Honors & Scholars ambassador, many clubs and different community service organizations, leadership positions, organic chemistry TA, some awards, and soon to be on a publication for lab. I think most of my stats are okay besides for my MCAT. Thanks!!

Hi all I was wondering if anyone in this could help me out. I received my MCAT score recently and was really bummed out (scored lower than most practice). I was wondering if I had a shot here for the 2018-2019 cycle. I just applied a week ago. I'm an out of state student, planning a visit to the school in August. GPA: 3.59, sGPA 3.27 MCAT 497, ~100 hours hospital volunteering, 700 hours cancer genetics research, 60 hours shadowing, CNA certified, Greek life, Scholars, Honors & Scholars ambassador, many clubs and different community service organizations, leadership positions, organic chemistry TA, some awards, and soon to be on a publication for lab. I think most of my stats are okay besides for my MCAT. Thanks!!
I was accepted with that mcat score ( 497) this cycle. I am out of state although I ended up withdrawing. I think you should be fine.

I was accepted with that mcat score ( 497) this cycle. I am out of state although I ended up withdrawing. I think you should be fine.
that is very uplifting!! Did you have similar stats?

Keep the faith guys! Just received a call this morning being offered a position off of the waitlist and unfortunately had to decline due to the short turn around of classes starting and having another acceptance.

Fingers crossed it goes to one of you deserving people. WVSOM is a great school and you guys will all do fantastically!

Has anyone heard anything regarding possible rollovers this year? Congratulations to all those accepted.

Has anyone heard anything regarding possible rollovers this year? Congratulations to all those accepted.

I spoke to gwen last week and she told me they will have rollover decisions by end of day July 24th

Anyone hear anything about getting a rollover? Today's the day I was told, fingers crossed for us all!

Accepted with rollover!!!...so happy...worth the wait :soexcited::highfive:

Denied rollover...I was under the impression it would be either everyone is accepted on rollover or no one. Bummed.

If I have a 499 MCAT but 3.4 sGPA and 3.7 cGPA, should I send in my application now or wait until I retake the MCAT August 19?

Is there a 2018 thread? I just got offered an interview but the only 2018 thread I see is closed to replies

Is there a 2018 thread? I just got offered an interview but the only 2018 thread I see is closed to replies

No clue, maybe you can start one. I'm a first year right now if you have any questions.

First year too, if you or anyone else needs any advice