West Virginia University '08 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WVUPharm,

Do you have any idea as to how many they tend to provisionally admit versus defer during the first couple series of interviews? I'm assuming they reject a good bit during this time also, but I have no idea as to how many. They also say you could be switched to provisional admit status at any time, but how often does this happen before all interviews are completed? I think the waiting is getting to me! ha!

Thanks a bunch!
Go here. Go to the 15:00 mark. It's a webcast Jen Clutter did about the entire process. She explains all that jazz. If you are too lazy to look yourself, she says that a max of 60 get provisional acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Go here. Go to the 15:00 mark. It's a webcast Jen Clutter did about the entire process. She explains all that jazz. If you are too lazy to look yourself, she says that a max of 60 get provisional acceptance.

Thanks for your help!

So how did the interviews go yesterday? (Stupid Greyhound...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone hear anything new? Still waiting here... :confused:

Well, I received a letter last week stating that after interviews, I'm still placed in the active-deferred category and will be notified of an update once my Spring 08 grades are received. So, still in the running. :oops: Anyone else hear anything?

Well, I received a letter last week stating that after interviews, I'm still placed in the active-deferred category and will be notified of an update once my Spring 08 grades are received. So, still in the running. :oops: Anyone else hear anything?

Same thing..... They take so freaking long!!!!!:mad:

How long after the interview did it take to hear about your status from WVU?

Anyone with new news?
Depends on what you call "new news." I was given provisional acceptance by WVU and I would have gone there, but I think I will be going to Creighton.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats, when did you get your acceptance?

If you haven't heard yet, it likely won't be until late May after they review grades from Spring. I got my letter back in '03 on May 30th.

Still deferred... Finals are this week, so I'm sending my grades by the end of the week. Anyone else hearing anything new?

Are you just emailing them to Jenn Clutter?

Good Luck on finals! Its ashame WVU takes so long. What do they expect people do to with housing and situations like that? Its rediculous.

Are you just emailing them to Jenn Clutter?

Good Luck on finals! Its ashame WVU takes so long. What do they expect people do to with housing and situations like that? Its rediculous.

Yes I am... and thank you :)

They are probably making final decisions, mailing out letters this week. If the past is any indication, you should know within a week. I got my acceptance letter on May 30th back in the day.

They are probably making final decisions, mailing out letters this week. If the past is any indication, you should know within a week. I got my acceptance letter on May 30th back in the day.

Thanks!

Ridgway told me in an email today that they just finished the admissions process. So they at least have made decisions.

Thanks for all the info... It really helps the "waiting" process!

Congrats on your acceptance PharmHopeful08... See you this fall!!!

Does anyone know how the alternate list works at WVU? I was placed on there and they told me the couldn't tell me where I stood because they don't rank the alternate list.

Does anyone know how the alternate list works at WVU? I was placed on there and they told me the couldn't tell me where I stood because they don't rank the alternate list.

I'm not really sure how it exactly works, but a friend of mine was accepted in June last year after someone with a spot turned it down. Hang in there, I'm sure some people will back out, opening up a spot for you. Good luck to you!

I'm on there too. There are 14 people on the list. I don't know how they go about picking them though.....

I'm on there too. There are 14 people on the list. I don't know how they go about picking them though.....

That's the part I dont get. I was put on the alternate list at Cincinnati and when they sent me that mailing they said I was alternate 27 out of 53. At least that gave me an idea of where I stood. I guess I'll just hope for the best.

I don't get it either. WVUPharm2007, do you know how they pick the alternates?

You are rank ordered. They give every applicant a "score" so that there is something resembling objective data available if/when somebody thinks they should have gotten in and they try to sue. Dean Ridgway told me it happens about once a year.....and that they never win. I don't know if they will tell you where you stand versus the other alternates. If you go bug Jen Clutter or Clarke Ridgway, they might tell you what's up. There are sure to be more than a few people that go elsewhere, so don't give up hope.

You are rank ordered. They give every applicant a "score" so that there is something resembling objective data available if/when somebody thinks they should have gotten in and they try to sue. Dean Ridgway told me it happens about once a year.....and that they never win. I don't know if they will tell you where you stand versus the other alternates. If you go bug Jen Clutter or Clarke Ridgway, they might tell you what's up. There are sure to be more than a few people that go elsewhere, so don't give up hope.

They wont tell you your ranked I already tried that. Also, do you happen to know on average how many alternates get in?

They wont tell you your ranked I already tried that. Also, do you happen to know on average how many alternates get in?

They told me about one year they had to go back into the application pool and get more people because the entire alternate pool was exhausted after a bunch of people went elsewhere.....and sometimes only a few accepted turn it down. It's a crap shoot, really.

They told me about one year they had to go back into the application pool and get more people because the entire alternate pool was exhausted after a bunch of people went elsewhere.....and sometimes only a few accepted turn it down. It's a crap shoot, really.

So will I just hear from them when/if I get in? Anyone on the alternate list hear anything yet?

Thats too long. I want to continue to go to WVU, but I can't wait all summer. I'm giving them a week or two more, and if I don't hear from them, I'm going to go to LECOM Erie. WVU is a great school, but they've got to be about the slowest in letting you know things...

Thats too long. I want to continue to go to WVU, but I can't wait all summer. I'm giving them a week or two more, and if I don't hear from them, I'm going to go to LECOM Erie. WVU is a great school, but they've got to be about the slowest in letting you know things...

Well, in their defense, they have accepted a full number of students. It's not really THEM being slow or not slow at this point. They only grant more admissions if, among those students, some choose not to come. And people can choose not to come and then be replaced by an alternate candidate up until just about the first day of school. Though I would agree, they are slower than most.

Well, in their defense, they have accepted a full number of students. It's not really THEM being slow or not slow at this point. They only grant more admissions if, among those students, some choose not to come. And people can choose not to come and then be replaced by an alternate candidate up until just about the first day of school. Though I would agree, they are slower than most.

Yeah, I know its not them being slow now. They're just overall slower than other schools with handing out acceptances and deferrals etc throughout the whole process. O well, whatever happens..happens...

Hang in there... :oops:

Yeah, I know its not them being slow now. They're just overall slower than other schools with handing out acceptances and deferrals etc throughout the whole process. O well, whatever happens..happens...

Nobody heard anything about acceptance from alternate list yet?

For those taht are there and have gone there..is tehre any kind of transportation available..I ask Dr. Ridgeway and he mentioned grayhound but I looked it up and it didnt show Morgantown...I'm looking to see for ways to get to the Maryland/VA area from there and I have no car..

For those taht are there and have gone there..is tehre any kind of transportation available..I ask Dr. Ridgeway and he mentioned grayhound but I looked it up and it didnt show Morgantown...I'm looking to see for ways to get to the Maryland/VA area from there and I have no car..

There was a Greyhound terminal in downtown Morgantown, but I think they closed it. If you can get to Pittsburgh, there is a bus called the Gray Line that goes from Morgantown to Pittsburgh daily. Or you can take a plane, the Morgantown airport has daily flights from DC to Morgantown.

There was a Greyhound terminal in downtown Morgantown, but I think they closed it. If you can get to Pittsburgh, there is a bus called the Gray Line that goes from Morgantown to Pittsburgh daily. Or you can take a plane, the Morgantown airport has daily flights from DC to Morgantown.
FYI, the bus takes about one hour, and be sure to carry enough cash to pay the fare.