West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Checked my portal and I got an interview invite for 9/12! Anyone know of any good places to stay for a small amount of money?

Members don't see this ad.

Checked my portal and I got an interview invite for 9/12! Anyone know of any good places to stay for a small amount of money?
I stayed at the Quality Inn. It is close to the school and if you tell them that you are there for an interview they give you around $10 off.

So what’s the general census?

Everyone that got the invites had decision pending as opposed to decision deferred?

Does everyone that got an invite live in WV?

Just wanted some perspective on my situation and whether I should be getting discouraged yet?

Members don't see this ad :)

Everyone that got the invites had decision pending as opposed to decision deferred?

Just wanted some perspective on my situation and whether I should be getting discouraged yet?

People with both statuses have been getting invites so I dont think there is much behind the deferred vs. pending. I got an invite and I'm from the midwest, plus other people from around the country have been getting invites so its definitely not just a WV or Appalachian thing. Its still really early for them so don't get discouraged yet. good luck.

So what's the general census?

I was decision deferred as well, and I'm applying from Utah. Good luck, and just be patient!

Have any of you had trouble contacting the admissions office? I've called three times and sent an email with no answer. Guess I'll keep trying.

Basically I just switched my residency from PA to WV. I have a valid WV license and voter's registration and I pay WV taxes now. I submitted my primary as a PA resident though so I don't know if now I would be considered instate or not. I know WVU has a complex process of being declared a resident, but I'm not sure about WVSOM. Anyone have any idea? Thanks!

Have any of you had trouble contacting the admissions office? I've called three times and sent an email with no answer. Guess I'll keep trying.

Basically I just switched my residency from PA to WV. I have a valid WV license and voter's registration and I pay WV taxes now. I submitted my primary as a PA resident though so I don't know if now I would be considered instate or not. I know WVU has a complex process of being declared a resident, but I'm not sure about WVSOM. Anyone have any idea? Thanks!
I was told that in order to be considered as instate you have to apply as an instate. They go off your primary application. The only way to change it is to reapply.

For those of you getting interview invites how long was it from when you got the status check email to the interview call? I got the email last thursday and my portal says decision pending so...

I was told that in order to be considered as instate you have to apply as an instate. They go off your primary application. The only way to change it is to reapply.

Yeah, there is a way to challenge it, but it would take a lot of work and requires me to work in WV for a year, which I'm doing so if I decide to go here I'll challenge it, but for the time being I'll just shell out the extra $40

Anyone else getting "page not found" when trying to access the portal??

Members don't see this ad :)
The link from my original email was sending me to page not found. The link I just posted sends me to a working page.

Does anyone know the acceptance rates if you get an interview?

Has anybody on the west coast found a way to get here for under $800??

Has anybody on the west coast found a way to get here for under $800??

You may want to check flights into airports that are farther away than Roanoke or Blacksburg. I have LMU the next day and it's much cheaper for me to fly to Knoxville and drive over.

You may want to check flights into airports that are farther away than Roanoke or Blacksburg. I have LMU the next day and it's much cheaper for me to fly to Knoxville and drive over.

I'm only 24 so car rentals are ridiculous for me. I've knocked it down to 600 and that's not too bad

I was never deferred, only decision pending from the start. I was verified July 16th so.... meh?
GOD DAMN I JUST WANT INTO THIS SCHOOL.

ah, losing it.

One thing that's highly stressed here is professionalism. I'd really be more careful about my language if I were you.

One thing that's highly stressed here is professionalism. I'd really be more careful about my language if I were you.

Considering this is an anonymous forum, and not an interview, I think they're safe.

Considering this is an anonymous forum, and not an interview, I think they're safe.

Oh, most definitely. What's said here poses little to no consequence. However, what is deemed appropriate in anonymity is a direct reflection of character. My point is, it's never too early to begin professional practices, in all aspects of one's life. With that said, I wish everyone here the best of luck. WVSOM is a wonderful school and a great environment for developing into the best physician you can be.

I found this in last years thread and thought it was appropriate to post in this thread as well. KNOW!

Originally Posted by fullnelsondnb

I'm about to graduate from WVSOM. The major
problem I have with WVSOM, and probably most medical schools is the cost of
out-of-state tuition. You cannot become resident of WV when you are a student.
You are forced to pay this ridiculous tuition the entire time. I question,
everyday, why I should pay 45 grand or more a year when the only contact I have
with WVSOM is through my SWC (state-wide-campus) administrators, during my
clinical years (3 and 4), which is minimal. I don't believe the education I get
is worth the expense. Sure, WVSOM is listed by US. NEWS at # 12 for primary
care, however they fail to mention it is listed as #5 for medical schools that
lead to the highest debt (http://www.usnews.com/education/best...d-to-most-debt). This
is a national trend as well with student debt recently surpassing credit card
debt nation-wide. I'm upset about this, this is a high burden, and when I took
the tour of WVSOM, they argue "well you're going to be a doctor so you can
afford it." They also mentioned "no one has defaulted on their loans yet" That's
an absurd argument and I should of taken it as a warning sign! You will be a
slave to your debt for several years. This trend cannot continue, and I expect a
large economic backlash in the future, similar to the 2008 recession. Same thing
for medicine as a whole.

I should also mention that WVSOM was #8 for
primary care when I first attended, and has fallen to 12. Looking at the match
list in my class (2012), it's obvious that people aren't as interested in
primary care as they used to be, when comparing present to past match lists. I
have looked at them the past 4 years, and there are more specialties matched
every year. WVSOM's mission is to increase rural physicians in primary care,
they are doing the opposite with their high debt loads.This provides a higher
incentive to pursue a specialty which guarantees a higher income. And usually
that will require an out of state residency. I'm near furious about this
situation. I should of seen it coming, but how can you truly know what you want
to do in life until you actually are doing it for a sustained period of time?
Shadowing a doctor doesn't give you the same understanding as being a doctor. I
was initially naive but I am fully aware now.

Honestly, I love my class,
and there are great people at WVSOM working for the students, on a beautiful
campus, but this is overshadowed by the financial burdens that follow
graduation. WVSOM may not be a for profit school, but they sure seem to behave
that way, always erecting new buildings and installing these ridiculously
expensive robots, that we hardly use, and barely get any sort of educational
value out of. They use these as a key selling point for WVSOM. It's purely to
entice new applicants. You may learn how to intubate, or run an ACLS code but
you forget it all by the time you enter your rotations and have to re-certify
anyways. I don't think WVSOM prepares you too well for your 3rd and 4th year
rotations. I think the students prepare themselves adequately, and nearly
autonomously. With the mandatory stay in WV for your 3rd year requirements, it
hurts your chances of establishing your candidacy for residency at your hospital
of choice, which likely wont be in West Virginia, due to lack of residency
programs in the state.

I think WVSOM is only reasonable for students who
are already WV residents, would like to stay close to home, but are without a
doubt, 100% sure they want to pursue primary care in West Virginia. This is
somewhat paradoxical as you cannot be 100% sure until you are out there doing
rotations, experiencing the job itself. Most of us have no idea what specialty
we want to pursue when we go into medical school. We figure that out in our 3rd,
and often 4th year. Honestly I think a lot of us chose WVSOM because we didn't
get accepted elsewhere, or because the facilities are nice. I was accepted to a
few other schools LECOM, TEMPLE in PA, I should of stayed there, but I was
enticed by the facilities and was initially pursuing a Navy scholarship ( I did
4 years prior). The facilities are nice but this really only matters in the
short, short term. My advice to prospective students is take WVSOM's mission
very seriously, as they reduce your chances of going anywhere else but WV.
Retake the MCAT, get a better score, go to someplace you'd like to end up in
life. Feel like you have to go somewhere THIS year? take the year off, get a
job, do some research, or something to boost your application, devote a solid 2
months to the MCAT, doing practice questions and go somewhere else. You've got
plenty of time. WVSOM will typically accept a lower MCAT, but don't use this to
get your foot in the door to becoming a doctor, sure that will work, but it will
be much easier if you just retake the MCAT, and wait it out. Unless you want to
stay in WV, and do primary care, as their mission states. Dont make the same
mistake I did! Many of us thought, "well we'll get the degree and go somewhere
else afterwards," This works, and many many of us did just that, but it's more
difficult when you're forced to stay in WV your entire 3rd year (minus your few
electives) I mean all of this from my heart, and I hope it helps. If you're
already going there, you'll be fine, but if you're a prospective student, think
carefully.

Seems like most educational institutions just take advantage
of people's hopes and dreams to make a dollar these days. This kind of crap is
only driving up the cost of healthcare

Reactions: 1 user
I got my decision deferred email today, a little late compared to those people who got theirs in July. How long did it take for some of the deferrals to receive interviews? Has anyone been rejected yet?

I was always decision pending and am applying from Nevada.

For those of you getting interview invites how long was it from when you got the status check email to the interview call? I got the email last thursday and my portal says decision pending so...

I received the email with all of my login information on 7/12 and got the official interview invite email on 8/15 although it was visible to me through the portal a few days before that.

Are there any current students of WVSOM on this thread? Wondering if you could give any insight into the curriculum, area, and clinical rotations at this school. Thanks

Are there any current students of WVSOM on this thread? Wondering if you could give any insight into the curriculum, area, and clinical rotations at this school. Thanks

+1. Just want clarification on them being systems based during year one but organ systems bases year two. I thought those were the same thing?

Dudeliness: they have a student handbook on their website the has a list of rotation sites and regions you can end up in it. I know it won't help regarding the quality of site but it could give you an idea of where you might end up?

+1. Just want clarification on them being systems based during year one but organ systems bases year two. I thought those were the same thing?

Dudeliness: they have a student handbook on their website the has a list of rotation sites and regions you can end up in it. I know it won't help regarding the quality of site but it could give you an idea of where you might end up?

Thanks. That will be helpful. I wonder if they have any rotation sites where you can stay for all the core rotations in one place?

Hey Selttiks288 I am a first year and you are correct in the idea that systems based is the same thing as organ systems based. It has been a real adventure this year for the new curriculum but it has been a lot of fun too. It is really nice to have systems based because you only have one major class at a time like right now we are in our Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine course which is really a welcome to medical school slap in the face, lets get everyone to the same level class. It has everything from biochem to anatomy to how to interact with a patient. Once this class is over in about three weeks we move into the integument system and then after that on to other systems. To answer the rest of the thread previous the the one quoted above the area is awesome and this school really makes you feel like family. Sure it is expensive but not significantly more expensive than the other schools. Is is true that primary care is a major focus? Yes. But that does not peg hole you into that type of medicine. This is a great school and we look forward to welcoming next years class into our family.

Hey Selttiks288 I am a first year and you are correct in the idea that systems based is the same thing as organ systems based. It has been a real adventure this year for the new curriculum but it has been a lot of fun too. It is really nice to have systems based because you only have one major class at a time like right now we are in our Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine course which is really a welcome to medical school slap in the face, lets get everyone to the same level class. It has everything from biochem to anatomy to how to interact with a patient. Once this class is over in about three weeks we move into the integument system and then after that on to other systems. To answer the rest of the thread previous the the one quoted above the area is awesome and this school really makes you feel like family. Sure it is expensive but not significantly more expensive than the other schools. Is is true that primary care is a major focus? Yes. But that does not peg hole you into that type of medicine. This is a great school and we look forward to welcoming next years class into our family.

Thanks for sharing!!

yikes got moved to decision deferred... prob not a great sign but at least its not a rejection...i'm hoping they will reconsider when they get my summer grades in

Are you coming from the Greenbrier airport? I'm from the West coast, and trying to figure out the most affordable option :)

When I talked to Annette last week, I believe they interviewed twice as many as those who get accepted. So 50%. Probably higher since you all are first round candidates.

IIRC, it's between 50-60%, but earlier interviews don't necessarily have a higher rate of acceptance.

Are you coming from the Greenbrier airport? I'm from the West coast, and trying to figure out the most affordable option :)

I'm in Morgantown so I'll just be driving. I've never driven that far though! :x

yikes got moved to decision deferred... prob not a great sign but at least its not a rejection...i'm hoping they will reconsider when they get my summer grades in

Same here! I hope they are just waiting for my new MCAT. :)

I'm in Morgantown so I'll just be driving. I've never driven that far though! :x

Its strange, because on the interview invite email, it said that Roanoake and Yeager airports were the closest, but from google map, it seems like Greenbrier airport is just minutes away. Am I missing something??

Its strange, because on the interview invite email, it said that Roanoake and Yeager airports were the closest, but from google map, it seems like Greenbrier airport is just minutes away. Am I missing something??

Fly into Roanoke and take a car. Unless you want to spend $500 extra...Greenbrier airport will not handle commercial jets.

I received the original email stating WV had received my primary on July 25th
I got an interview Invite on 8/29 for 10/8.

I actually have never logged into the portal as of this writing. So I have no clue if I was ever pending or deferred. I'm applying from RI so not local, although I did grow up in Maryland so I don't know if they take that into consideration like how on the AMCAS they ask not only where you live but where you grew up.

ii from here! will be there 10/10 for my interview

decision deferred today..and I am a reapplicant ..sucks :(

i had my decision deferred at first, stayed that way for about a month, then got an ii yesterday. hang in there and keep updating aacomas with anything you're doing!

i had my decision deferred at first, stayed that way for about a month, then got an ii yesterday. hang in there and keep updating aacomas with anything you're doing!

What they said. It's REALLY early in the cycle, a lot can still happen :)

I had the same status, so I called. They said that it's probably because my application was missing something. It turned out that a couple of days later they emailed me about what else I needed to include. I would call them and ask, they are so sweet on the phone and I'm sure they will at least let you know what it means for your case. Chin up!

II a few weeks ago for 9/26. Weird question for current WVSOM students: what do you guys do for food? I have insanely fast metabolism, and eat constantly when I'm studying (~5 meals per day), so it's very important to me. Do most of you do all of your own cooking? There doesn't seem to be a cafe or food court on campus with available meal plans.

If it helps anyone, I was decision deferred a while back and received an interview invite. But unfortunately, I am going to have to withdraw my application. Hopefully that frees up a spot for someone here.