West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll be applying

3.7 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, 26 MCAT
Ohio Resident

Question: Does WVSOM actually give you a secondary before inviting you for an interview (and then asking you to submit once you are invited) or do they simply hold it and only give it to people invited for interview?

A secondary is only received once invited to interview. The completed secondary they will use to get to know you a bit prior to your interview

Members don't see this ad :)
A secondary is only received once invited to interview. The completed secondary they will use to get to know you a bit prior to your interview

That is good so people wont spend money and energy to fill out secondary and then get rejected with no interview invite...Do they have very strong regional bias?

That is good so people wont spend money and energy to fill out secondary and then get rejected with no interview invite...Do they have very strong regional bias?

In my opinion no the really don't. People from all around the US get accepted

so there is NO secondary before hand, they just use your aacomas app to invite for interview?

What are some general opinions about this school? Clinical rotations? Quality of teaching? Residency placement? Life in West Virginia?

Also I got verified last week, when should I expect to hear back from WVSOM?

Number wise, I'd say it's one of my target schools so I'm hoping for some love.

What are some general opinions about this school? Clinical rotations? Quality of teaching? Residency placement? Life in West Virginia?

Also I got verified last week, when should I expect to hear back from WVSOM?

Number wise, I'd say it's one of my target schools so I'm hoping for some love.

Since nobody has responded, I will share what I know. I am from Ohio and I have met a few WVSOM grads. They all had good things to say about the school aside from the high OOS tuition. I went to the fall open house here and the school was actually very nice. Their OMM and anatomy labs were above average, but the thing that really sets this school apart is their sim center. It was an entire building, and they have really invested some serious cash into making sure they offer an array of simulators for every situation.

Otherwise, Lewisburg is a small town but there seemed to be a lot to do. There is not a lot in the way of shopping, but there are lots of restaurants, bars, coffee shops, and even a concert hall. If you enjoy outdoors activities, you will be in heaven.

Sorry, I know this isn't a good substitute for hearing from an actual student, but having been there, I figured I could shed at least a little light on the environment.

Is the DO LOR really an absolute requirement for WVSOM ?

""Does WVSOM require a letter of recommendation from an osteopathic physician?
Yes - a letter from an osteopathic physician (non-relative) is required to complete your file.""

http://www.wvsom.edu/Applicants/applied-faq

I really like this school, but there is no possible way for me to get a DO LOR.

I'm not sure about that. I was recently screened in (OOS) and nothing was mentioned about an interview.

They are definitely sending out secondaries because I received one lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure about that. I was recently screened in (OOS) and nothing was mentioned about an interview.

They are definitely sending out secondaries because I received one lol.
Oops. I am clearly mistaken. I though this was WVU MD. Sorry guys and good luck!!

Does the Appalachian Regional bias for WVSOM include Pennsylvania residents or does it focus mainly on the southern Appalachian states?

To my knowledge, I don't believe there is any regional bias.

I'm killing for an interview invite from this school. Does anyone know if LORs are required for the primary application?

WVSOM doesn't have a region bias, case and point, I'm from NY. My roommate is from PA.

ToKingdomCome, LORs aren't required unless they send you an interview invite.

When did last year's admission cycle first begin hearing back?

To my knowledge, I don't believe there is any regional bias.

I'm killing for an interview invite from this school. Does anyone know if LORs are required for the primary application?

Also would like to know this. Do they want us to submit LORs before we get secondaries?

First round of interview invites will go out by the second week in August, generally your interview is scheduled for about a month after you get the invite. You only need to complete secondaries and send LORs if you get an interview invite.

First round of interview invites will go out by the second week in August, generally your interview is scheduled for about a month after you get the invite. You only need to complete secondaries and send LORs if you get an interview invite.

do you know what is the interview/acceptance ratio for this school?

do you know what is the interview/acceptance ratio for this school?

They tell us they interview 600, accept 400 and enroll 200. I'm not sure I actually believe the numbers are exactly that because I've only ever seen 1 SD-er outright rejected post-interview, and that was very late into the cycle. Coolingglasses and I interviewed on the same day in early November last year and we both were accepted, so I think it bodes well to say that if you get an II you have a very good shot at getting in.

They tell us they interview 600, accept 400 and enroll 200. I'm not sure I actually believe the numbers are exactly that because I've only ever seen 1 SD-er outright rejected post-interview, and that was very late into the cycle. Coolingglasses and I interviewed on the same day in early November last year and we both were accepted, so I think it bodes well to say that if you get an II you have a very good shot at getting in.

Good to know, thank you.

Really hoping for some love here. Definitely one of my target schools in terms of numbers. I like the school and its established. Only problem is that, it's kind of in the middle of nowhere. I'd like to go to medical school somewhat close to where my gf can attend grad school.

It's another month of waiting, but really hoping to get in here.

Really hoping for some love here. Definitely one of my target schools in terms of numbers. I like the school and its established. Only problem is that, it's kind of in the middle of nowhere. I'd like to go to medical school somewhat close to where my gf can attend grad school.

It's another month of waiting, but really hoping to get in here.
It is in a little town, but it's a beautiful campus and everyone is super friendly. I visited Lewisburg about a month ago with my girlfriend. She went there and loved it. Virginia Tech is about an hour and a half away. I'm not sure how close many other universities are to the school.

Thanks! Yea definitely, I'm a big fan of the school itself/and the campus. I would not mind living in the south. Just hoping that there's an opportunity for my gf to attend school close. Virginia Tech looks like a possibility so I'd suggest that to her.

Thanks! Yea definitely, I'm a big fan of the school itself/and the campus. I would not mind living in the south. Just hoping that there's an opportunity for my gf to attend school close. Virginia Tech looks like a possibility so I'd suggest that to her.

Marshall University has a campus in Charleston which is about 2 hours away. Depending on what she wanted to do, Concord has some grad programs and they're an hour and 20 minutes away. Also, University of Charleston's Beckley campus is an hour away but I think they just do an MBA.

On the previous year's thread, I saw that people mentioned the term "rollover admission"

Does rollover mean that one can be accepted into the following year's class instead of the class that was applied to?

Ex. apply this year for the class of 2018, but get an offer for class of 2019? Trying to learn the process...

On the previous year's thread, I saw that people mentioned the term "rollover admission"

Does rollover mean that one can be accepted into the following year's class instead of the class that was applied to?

Ex. apply this year for the class of 2018, but get an offer for class of 2019? Trying to learn the process...

yea that's what i understood it as. you can still get in for 2018 pending a seat opens up (as in someone chooses not to take it)

ugh pain in the butt. at least you dont have to pay the secondary fee unless you're invited for an interview lol

According to the WVSOM faq page, it looks like WVSOM is now requiring the secondaries before an interview invite. Sigh. Why has every school seemed to make the process of applying harder?

How was it in previous years? I thought all schools sent out secondaries before interview invites. In fact, on the first page of the "secondaries" thread, the secondary prompt for this school is listed.

If they invite you to an interview, they send you a secondary and request LORs so they can know more about you before the interview.

Hello, everyone. I'm Logistics, and my wife is a 4th year at WVSOM. We've lived all four years in Lewisburg, and we have three children, now ages 7, 9, and 11. If anyone has any questions about the school or area, feel free to ask in this thread, or send me a PM.

Admissions related but is it true that secondaries are now required before an interview invite?

Per Angie Bowyer in the Admissions Office:
"Yes, that is true. We don't require the fee though. However, we are asking for the supplemental right away...a link is provided when we send the ID and PIN number to our applicants."

So basically, it's a procedural difference... but they don't charge the secondary fee until the interview is granted. They're just trying to get more data before they actually send out invites. Money-wise, no difference between this year and previous years.

So basically this is another factor in admissions that wasn't there before, correct?

I misunderstood and thought you were concerned about the secondary fee. :rolleyes:

But yes, this is another factor in admissions that wasn't there last year. They want more information on the applicant prior to deciding on interviews.

has anyone heard anything yet?

Don't get nervous, we (1st and 2nd years) haven't even started class yet. We have orientation at the end of the week and classes start for real next Tuesday. Once they get us first years settled they'll start looking into the next class. The earliest batch of interview invites should go out the 2nd week in August, although since they revised the process and are sending secondaries before invites it might be a little bit longer.

has anyone heard anything yet?

I talked to them yesterday. They haven't uploaded the applications yet, because they are changing their admissions structure. They said people will start being put in their system August 1st.

I just received an email that my app is hold because I have not reported my MCAT scores, although I have. This is an error with their system- they are aware and IT is working to correct it. I just wanted to let you all know so that you don't call, the poor lady I spoke with (who was extremely nice, by the way) said they have been inundated with calls.

I just received an email that my app is hold because I have not reported my MCAT scores, although I have. This is an error with their system- they are aware and IT is working to correct it. I just wanted to let you all know so that you don't call, the poor lady I spoke with (who was extremely nice, by the way) said they have been inundated with calls.

I got the same email. I figured it was a mistake because all of the other schools had my MCAT. The campus is beautiful and the anatomy lab is top notch. Really hoping to hear from them soon.

I havent received anything from this school. Not even an acknowledgment of my primary!! ahh

I havent received anything from this school. Not even an acknowledgment of my primary!! ahh

Neither have I! Who has gotten a secondary or confirmation or any correspondence from this school?

I emailed them today they said it will be coming out soon!

Secondary email received

+1

I'm wondering if they are selective in their process of screening for secondary applications. From what I read in previous years' threads, those who receive a secondary application will most likely be granted an interview. Will this be held true this year?

Secondary received and its looks like good times. 7 essay questions!!! :eek: