western blot

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by saori, May 24, 2002.

1. saori

saori Senior Member

Does anyone know where i can purchase a western blot testing kit online? I need to get a few. It has to be for diagnostic purposes, not for research purposes.

Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Careofme

Careofme Senior Member

Medical Student
    Saori,

Try Sigma or Invitrogen or just do a search in Google for "Western Blot Suppliers" and something should pop up.

Good luck!

care

4. saori

saori Senior Member

Thank you very much.

5. UrSexyLatinDr

UrSexyLatinDr Single and looking =o)~

HEY SAORI! Just wondering, are you hispana? I sent you a PM!!

Eduardo

6. saori

saori Senior Member

UrSexyLatinDr: I PM'd you.

Careofme: I tried google and for the life of me I don't get any sites that allow me to purchase the kits directly (most of them just have the literature that goes along with the kits).

IF SOMEBODY CAN PLEASE TELL ME THE NAME OF A DIRECT ONLINE KIT SUPPLIER, I'D LOVE YOU FOREVER!!!

(well, a lot, anyways!) :p

7. kmiska

kmiska Junior Member

Saori,
    Can you be a little bit more specific what you need it for? The thing is that I've never really heard of a Western blot kit since a western usually entails so much equipment. But if you're just trying to look for a specific protein and you don't really need the its molecular wt. you could to something like and ELISA or and ELIspot. They do sell those in kits I'm pretty sure. The seller you might want to check out is BIO-RAD they have all sorts of protein stuff, Western, ELISA etc.
    Hope this was sort of helpful,
    If you need any more specific help, feel free to contact me.
    Kate

8. saori

saori Senior Member

I'm doing work on my thesis and as I've been told by my advisor, there are certain labs that manufacture "kits" that include most if not all the equipment needed to perform the test.

Since it is going to be tried on patients who tested positive through the ELISA method, it has to be for diagnostic purposes, not research. I've found a couple of sites that cater to research needs, but not so for diagnostic (the test can cost 1150 RDpesos-about 40 USdollars-, too much for a lowly intern like myself) and really would be much cheaper to purchase the materials for the test instead of having them done with the labs' materials (since they would have to spend material,i'd end up paying full price, if i just take in the sample and include the materials, I'd save a bundle).

Thank you for your responses thus far. :)

9. saori

saori Senior Member

10. TheAce

TheAce Attending

Attending Physician
    You're going to need a lot of equipment. You need equipment to solubilize the protein, then precipitate the protein, then electrophores the protein, the transfer the protein to nitrocellulose, then stain the protein with primary antibody, then stain with secondary antibody, then visualize the protein. It's going to be quite the mess and quite expensive - much more than the $40 that the lab will charge to run the test. In US dollars, this will run you at least $2000 (what is that several billion pesos) in equipment alone and that's not including all the reagents you waste trying to refine your method.

11. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Since this is not directly related to Rotations and Residencies I'm moving it to the Everyone Forum.