Western/Comp class of 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
we got until march, i think, to file the fafsa. then the school will send us a financial aid package (like in undergrad) after they review the fafsa. i'm pretty sure that's how it works.

i would like to find out about the housing information though...i guess i'll have to harass student services. i'm going to fly out there in april to do a little apartment hunting and stuff. get a jump on the apartments that will be abandoned at the end of the school year, you know?

peace!
~j

Members don't see this ad.

Proud to be going to Western this coming August! Congrads to you all, and c u soon!

hey guys...

yeah i checked today and we have till march 2 to file fafsa. and the next deposit is due by march 15. anyways i really want some more info. about the program and housing. hope the stuff is on the way. congrats to u2 smiles...but umm wuz up with the angry face in your post
biggrin.gif

later
pritbir

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's see . . .
if new curriclulum with less class time is good?

Then a curriclulum with no class time is BEST?

DUH . . .What are you paying for?

Originally posted by William:

DUH . . .What are you paying for?

A pretty random statement don't you think? Are you trying to provoke an arguement, Will?

But...in a friendly response...we'll be spending less time in class but spending more time with the more practical aspects of medicine and participating in a more hands-on experience with patients (e.g. patient evaluations, clinical experience, etc.). Don't get me wrong, the basic sciences are essential in medical education, COMP is just trying to make the learning process more efficient.

It's a brand new curriculum so we don't even know what to expect. But don't write it off because you don't know what "you're paying for."

But let's forget about the money for a second and look at the bigger picture. Every curriculum is designed so that we (doctors) can treat patients the best way possible...and to make sure we don't kill anybody.

~j
COMP '05

Um..I thought that class time was being reduced so that we could spend more time making rankings and stuff!

On a separate note, I was thinking about suggesting an idea for an elective: The essentials of playing a doctor on TV. This might be good just because we are so close to Hollywood. I think that TV Doctor is one of the up and coming residency spots, especially because of managed care.

Okay, I have to go back to ranking the imaginary invisible pink elephants, but when I am done I will make a new post so everyone can take a peek.

So, did the curriculum changes go through? They were preparing to make a decision when I interviewed, and the "letters" have been sent out later than usual. Maybe this is the reason for the delay. Does anyone have an update?

Pritbir, why do you seem sooo lame? Are you sure you got into Western or are you just hoping to join the elite?

lol, thats comedy singh, but we gotta stop this COMP on COMP crime

peace

OOOPPPSSS!!! Sorry!!! I marked the wrong box!
eek.gif

[This message has been edited by smiles (edited 02-26-2001).]

Originally posted by vdubpower:

you all are freaking idiots, this was supposed to be a simple site for muslims to meet each other,. if u wanna fuk around, get teh hell out, including u ,MAAT, patel, especialy Leotiger, get the hell out and stop replying to petty comments, including mine, readit, and get out..
let the people who want to comment on what the original posters topic reply to that and not garbage u freaks are putting on,
if u smell what im cooking

Faiz from Orange, Ca who attended UCR/UCLA and is now going to COMP,

Listen you little prick, don't EVER talk to me, MAAT, or Leotigers like that AGAIN. Even if we disagree, we do it in a PROFESSIONAL manner. You can make a point without cussing. I did provide information about myself. I stated that I was a physician at UC Davis Medical Center. Anyone can post whatever the hell they feel like without having you cuss at them. Don't tell us what to do. Even if we did digress, at least we don't post about drugs and sound like a common street thug while at the same time claiming to be religious. You are an embarrassment to the medical community. Many people have reprimanded you before yet we still continue to tolerate your sorry ass jailbait behavior and language. You are going to COMP in Pomona next year, correct? You better pray that I don't call your dean tommorow, you little jackass. I'm sure he'd be interested to hear what a PHYSICIAN has to say about one of his students cussing at another PHYSICIAN. We have many COMP alumni as residents at UC Davis or as private physicians in the area. I happen to be friends with many of them. If I don't make the call, they would be happy to.

These are some of the jackass comments that you have made FAIZ. I'm sure it won't be too hard identifying which student for 2005 is from Orange, Ca and is a UCR/UCLA grad with the name Faiz. Grow up, I have nothing against DOs, only you. You are an embarrassment to COMP. If you are going to sound like such an idiot, do the UCLA and COMP people a favor and don't identify yourself as part of their group. You are a tarnish on their reputation. I'd love to have you on my service you little prick. I expect an APOLOGY to EVERYONE mentioned above.

Dr. Patel, M.D.
UC Davis Medical Center
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Originally posted by vdubpower:

i aint gonna dawg the east coast, buts its all west coast flava yo, that jigga xzibit has been tearing up ****, he's top dawg nowadays. screw puffy, hope the little prick rots in the slammer, dont forget abt dre, the ring leader....by the way
METALLICA FOR LIFE....Thats the ****

who do u think is High more during th day
b real from cypress hill or snoop dogg
thats a tough one huh

now tha t i am a doc to be my eligibility of getting a wife has gone up too, lol, not that iw asnt a pimp anyways

P.S. Is this how a religious man speaks?

u satisfied now patel, i admit i think i went a little too far with some of my post and i do apologize to anyone offended. im not tryin to start beef with anyone, and i see how i put my words may have done that. i was just getting ticked that many simple topics were goin awry, but i guess it is hypocritical of my to say that cuz i admit i have fooled around with some posts. anywyas if u have anything else to say to me, u have my email

can we all just get along, please?

Members don't see this ad :)
hello everyone

ok so i'll rescue this topic one more time...

are we gonna get a reminder in the mail b4 the 15th to turn in our next deposit? maybe i'll give the school a call tomorrow.
just wanted to keep the thread alive

later
prit

we probably just gotta send inthe $$$ on our own.

I would imagine we are going to get some kind of reminder.
I am still waiting to get my financial aid package, as well as info about the summer anatomy program selection, and housing/roomate info.
Anyone hear anything about this?

i sure would like to know about the fin. aid. as well. i've done the fafsa, but COMP has not given me neither a lousy letter or a call... anyways, COMP (if u are reading this) get the ball rolling. i would like to get a jump start on next year and get more info the summer anatomy stuff. ok, i think i'll go and write my check now.

Prithbeer, shut the **** up about school already. No one is looking forward to that **** but you. Just calm the **** down until August comes around. Ya Heard Me

i dunno about you guys, but i'm pretty anxious about the housing thing as much as i am about the financial aid thing. anybody hear from student activities or am i going to have to harass them myself?
i hope i don't have to live out of a refrigerator box.

~j

im sure no one chooses a medschool based on the speediness of the fin-aid or housing depts. it may still be somewhat early. ima call them monday and see what they say... stay tuned.

Hey Guys,
I am all for fun and games...but this "rank-out" contest bull**** is getting really out of hand..and annoying.
People calling each other names...and fighting like little girls in the sandbox has really worn out its welcome.
Can we please stop this CRAP...and act like adults???
We are all excited/nervous about starting school, getting settled...etc. but lets keep our "interpersonal" issues as just that...."INTER-PERSONAL"..
I hate coming to this post...and seeing this innane "I hope you don't go to COMP...blah blah blah"....
C'mon...let's just get it together....I am sorry I sound like a pain in the ass....but its been bothering me...and doesn't seem like it is going to stop..

Thanks,
Yosh

Faiz,

I agree with Dr. Patel...and by the way, show some respect and greet him by Dr. He worked hard for that degree. But honestly, you are an idiot and I am ashamed to be your classmate. Unfortunately, you are in medical school now and please, at least act like someone who will be tending to patients in four years. And by the way, not everybody from the east coast talks like you...oh, and I forgot, your three years in New York REALLY, REALLY transformed you....yeah, bull****...you're just a wannabe playing an act. So quit fast talking and let the nerd inside that you've been hiding come out once and for all...you're not for real. This goes for you too, prick-beer! This message may seem contradictory to some of you...the same goes for my earlier messages...but I loathe and detest fake, role-playing, confused idiots...find yourself before you become a doctor!!

gaurav who the hell are u, im not even gonna stoop to your lever now, but look whose talking, u are starting stuff with prit, dude get out of here, my stuff with the doc is over, i aint saying nothing, so why dont u just step and join me in turning this site back to what i made it for, before WE ALL, screwed around with it

Wake up people. Is it not painfully obvious that this guy is a fake. He is either lying about his name or he is lying about being a COMP student. Think about it.

He puts down a name that sounds real, Who in his right mind (unless you are an idiot, or want a good ass whippin when school starts) would use his real name and then piss off his future classmates.

yeah yourright, enough is enough tho, we should all just shape up ,
anywyas, does anyone know how comp gets back to us on financial aid stuff
peace

hey Vdub...

its all good man
biggrin.gif
don't worry about gauruv. he only has 4 posts so i realized that he only wants attention and will probably change his name again and start something elsewhere. i can say so much more about the kinda person he probably is. but i'm ignoring him completely. its easy to start a fight. but much much harder to restrain oneself. i prefer the latter. so i will not say anything else about this guy. i got rid of my two posts concerning replies to him so i hope it proves my point.
anyways about the school. i called them monday and spoke with admissions and she said that housing/financial info. will be out soon. also, as many of you probably realize, we have to send out the deposit on our own(w/o reminder) before march 15...

later guys

[This message has been edited by PV1 (edited 03-07-2001).]

Hey, guys!!!

About the 2nd dep. due on Mar. 15, I was going to send it in w/o a reminder as well but just received a reminder letter yesterday. Just thought I share that w/ you all.

peace out!!!

[This message has been edited by innerpower (edited 03-08-2001).]

Thanks for the heads-up. I am sending in my deposit now....Any other news from COMP..
RE:Housing, Financial Aid, Summer Program?

Just wondering.....

Congratulations to everyone who got into COMP. I'll be having fun yet struggling beside you all starting this august. I got a good feeling when I interviewed there. The people seemed laid back and motivated to be good doctors.

Regarding housing, does COMP send out info for finding a place to live? I thought I'd drive up there this weekend and check out some apartments or whatever. Does anyone know of any nearby places? Ideally I'd like to live within walking distance. I'm not too concerned about the surrounding neighborhood. Let me know what's up if you can help.

Chris

Called COMP financial aid and was told that they'll start looking at the financial aid accounts for processing sometime next week... We just passed the March 2 deadline for filing the Fafsa, so it looks like theyre on time with giving out aid offers.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by prolixless:
Regarding housing, does COMP send out info for finding a place to live? I thought I'd drive up there this weekend and check out some apartments or whatever. Does anyone know of any nearby places? Ideally I'd like to live within walking distance. I'm not too concerned about the surrounding neighborhood. Let me know what's up if you can help.

Hey Chris,
I don't know if COMP sends out information on housing, but I assume they would assist in some manner for housing (and maybe even roommates) because people are coming from all over. I think if I ever get the chance, I'll just drive to a local supermarket around there and look for pamphlets, newspapers, and booklets on apts around there. I imagine it'd be a great idea to ask some current COMP'er about what apartments seem to be the favorites... I need to go search for this email address of a COMP student I met at OMAC.

Anyway, I have been living by myself for the past couple of years.. had some horrible roommates early in college.. so I will probably be looking for a studio unless I find someone easygoing I can really get along with for a double. I imagine studios go for anywhere from $500-$700.

LisaB - hey.. I finally found the COMP thread.. haven't been logging on. Actually, I am from Houston, TX.. but I have been working in Cali for the past two years. You'll enjoy the weather out here.. if you lived in southern Texas, you can say goodbye to the hot and humid weather!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by melancholy (edited 03-11-2001).]

Hello fellow COMPers,

I just passed by COMP today to drop off the second 1K of our deposit. I talked w/ the admissions office, and for those of you searching for apartments, they only have apartment guides for you to choose from. I've mentioned this before, but many of the current MS1s live in Chino Hills, approximately 20 minutes from COMP. Not many students preferred the surrounding area, but if your preference is to stay closer to COMP, housing is much cheaper. For those of you wanting information on possible roommates, I believe you would need to request that you be put on the list for those searching for rooommates. For those interested in financial aid, we should be receiving information soon, as long as you have completed the online FAFSA. I'm sure many of you know this, but for those of you who don't know, final grades, official MCAT scores, and health physicals are due no later than July 1 if I am not mistaken. Look forward to seeing you all this summer.

-Rob
Class of 2005

Hey Rob,
thanks for the update.. I probably should've just driven my deposit by, but I figured I'd be lazy and mail it early so I could confirm it later. As far as apartment hunting is concerned, I guess I will have to do more research than just the apartment guide just in case there might be some other apts that don't advertise as widely.

I had a question.. on the letter we got explaining requirements for our immunizations, it mentions the only proof they will accept for varicella is the serum antibody level test or the vaccination. Is there any way around this if we have already had chicken pox as a child? (around elementary school) At least I have a little time left before I should start my Hep B series..

On a side note, I just received a flyer for the upcoming OMAC in April. Hmm.. I wonder if they send that blindly or not.

[This message has been edited by melancholy (edited 03-12-2001).]

Hey everyone...

Melancholy, I received that OMAC notice too. I think it was sent blindly. Oh and I was in the same situation as you are in proving that I'm immune to varicella. Just mention that you need to have the titer test done for immunity when you go to get your physical done. They will draw some blood and send it to the labs and then you can submit the results along w/physical forms to COMP.

Anyways about the school...they did send us the deposit reminder in the mail. But I was hoping housing info. would be coming soon too. I guess I'll have to look on my own. Do we call the school and ask to be put on the roomie finder list? Oh one more thing...how exactly do we send our "official" MCAT scores to them? I don't think there is a code listing on the MCAT form for our school. Only AACOMAS and that is 600. I think I'll ask them about that tomorrow too.

Take Care,
Prit

[This message has been edited by PV1 (edited 03-13-2001).]

PV1 ---
The other day, when I was on the phone to COMP, I asked the lady about the "official MCAT" scores that they request. She said don't worry about that; the scores listed on our AACOMAS sheet will suffice. Still I'm a little suspicious of her answer, because why would they make it explicit that they want official MCAT scores if the AACOMAS scores will suffice? Hmm.

Chris

Glad to see this thread is picking up again...its good to here from soon to be classmates...

I called and asked about the "MCAT" scores as well..back in December...and they told me the same thing too..that the AACOMAS scores were fine....

About the open house flyer...I too received one a few days ago....questioned why I was receiving this..and chuckled... thanking GOD that applying to Med School will never ever happen again....

About the roomate situation....I am interested in hearing about this too...I have a roomate...but he is on a waitlist at another school...so...I am not sure...I would be interested to see about this roomate list..b/c if worse comes to worse...I am gonna need to find someone..

Keep posting...Its great hearing from all of you.....!!!

Whats up...

Chris & Yosh, thanks for the clarification about the "official" MCAT deal. I might be making a trip up to Pomona perhaps on Thursday or this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up some new info. regarding housing and roomates. I'll post here if I do make the trip.

Take care,
Prit

Hey Chris/Yosh/Pritt,
Thanks for the info on the MCAT deal as well. I was kinda iffy about this one, thinking I'd put it off till later, but good thing you brought it up. I recall seeing their reason for requesting an official one was that the AACOMAS folks keep the one we sent earlier, but perhaps they worked it out so an official "copy" is sent by AACOMAS to the school.. who knows.

Hey Pritt, are you not in SD anymore or are you just driving up to drop off your deposit? (last second heh) As far as the timing goes with apartments and all, it seems like we'll have to start looking in another month or so. I'm trying to work on a schedule to leave my job so I can relax a little, move, and settle in. I probably won't be able to move in till the beginning of summer.. don't I look forward to the ant problem in California.. heh.

Lanny

I am thinking of coming over to the West Coast in the beginning of May...to get the apartment stuff settled...and just hang for a week..and see what's up in my "new" homeland..
If any of you will be around...or are interested...drop me a line...and we'll see what we can get together...

See ya'll soon!!!

Whats up everyone...

Hey I got some new stuff from COMP in the mail today so I'm sure you did too. Basically they sent info. about events from June on till classes start August 13th. Kinda nice hearing all the plans. Anyways I'm gonna be out of the country from mid-May till late June (a bit of traveling
biggrin.gif
) so I was hoping of figuring out the apartment deal before leaving. Still haven't gone up yet though...

Melancholy, actually I am still in SD. Up north from UCSD about 25 miles and living w/parents at the house. I decided to graduate early from there (only 3 years
smile.gif
) and so since January I have been FREE!!!! I was supposed to take some "fun" classes like astronomy and some seminars but decided against it. Final grad. papers should be done end of this month. It is so amazing not having to worry about midterms and finals for an entire 7 months. So basically, I am enjoying this free time and hanging w/family before I make the transition to med school. Oh about the deposit...I sent that in a couple weeks ago via mail and I called today and they did receive it.

If anyone wants to chat about school and events send me an email...I think I've got it listed.

Later,
Prit

[This message has been edited by PV1 (edited 03-17-2001).]

Hey Prit,
I am glad you got some info....I've been waiting to hear from COMP...and happy to know that its on its way to the East Coast..
Did they mention about the two summer classes..as far as selection and when they run from?
I want to do the "Anatomy for Idiots"...and am trying to plan when I need to quit my job..start my lease..etc..and want to know if I have been selected to take it..and when the dates are...

I am glad to hear things are rolling...

WHAT A RELIEF!!

--Later

comp sent me some apartment info...there are two apartment complexes that most COMP students live in...plus they said to look at apartmentguide.com. i'm telling you, some of these place are just too good to be true! roommate info comes out in mid May.

I'll be making a trip out to cali. doing some apartment hunting at the end of april, and of course spend some quality time on the beach...

enjoy your summer people...i know i will.
~j

whats up...

Yosh, the details for the summer programs will be sent later (according to this letter). But the dates are given. ISAC runs from June 11 till July 27. SAPP runs from July 16 till August 3. Thats about it...

Pyoj, did you request that COMP send you apartment info or did it arrive on its own?

Prit

Thanks for the responses, much much appreciated. I feel that I have a sort of idea of when I need to do what.
I am planning on driving cross-country with a friend from college...and that is why I need to plan this out with dates.
Did they mention the selection process for the summer programs, or who was selectecd for what program?
I can't wait to get out there and get this all started!!!!

I'll be out there from 6/1-6/8..so if anyone will be around...drop me a line, and we'll get a bunch of new COMPers together...

Thanks again!

[This message has been edited by yosh (edited 03-17-2001).]

hey ya'll whats the deal with paying the 25 grand up front. How do we go about doin that, have any financial aid people gotten back to u?, and what if u dont qualify, i cant cut them a check that big. anyone have any ideas.

does anyone know the name of the apt complexes that most of the students live at.
how many of u guys are planing to have roomates. i know in chino hills apts are like a grand for a 1 bdrm and 1300 for a 2
see ya

Regarding the tuition being due in full at time of registration, they want you to have made the necessary deposits and be aprooved for loans and scholarships. Most students receive financial aid and cannot cut a 27K check on the first day of classes.

Per the financial aid offers, they've just started looking at your SAR's last week. And regarding student housing, what's up with so many COMP'ers living in Chino Hills? Do they get some sort of deal with the apt. complexes there or what? I want to know b/c having colleagues in close proximity can be helpful.

Chino Hills seems to be the place to live eh? I was thinking the same thing...and have come to no conclusion.
I would also like to live in a complex where other students live, for convienence, to study with and most of all to commiserate..
I guess I too will be looking in the Chino Hills area..what other places are good?

Sup everyone?

Yosh, the letter didn't say how they select students for ISAC or SAPP. It stated that info. about the programs would arrive separately at a later date.

As for the apartment deal, I too am very interested in living at a complex that houses many COMP students. This is why I originally thought that the apartments a few mins. away from campus would be reasonable. But I'm not sure if I'd like a roommate or a single room. I'll have to think about that some more. And Chino Hills is one of the better areas which is why the rent is so much higher. Anyway I think thats about it for now...

Prit

chino hills is a much nicer area than the campus area. its not posh, but just nice. its abt 15- 20 from tehs school, only due to traffic lighs. but its cool cuz u only need to take one street all the way practically. i have to check someof the areas next to school. i heard laverne is more towards claremont . claremont is actually a nice area, its just on the other side of the campus than chino hills. other places include pomona it self, ontario and upland.
from what i hear and know about the general area, dont live on streets like holt, or mission, enless u like dodging bullets or maybe living next to a nudie bar
smile.gif

i actually requested some apartment info and they sent it out within the week...i'm looking into claremont, upland and two places in pomona. this move out to the west coast is getting more interesting by the minute!

peace.
~j