Western/Comp class of 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey it looks like we lost a page of our thread! anyways at least it is still back up. i called the school yesterday and requested apt. info. and its on the way. also, roomie info. requests come out mid-may as many have already mentioned. oh one more thing, anybody here interview on october 5th by any chance?

Prit

I too put in the request for apt info. I booked my tix to come down to L.A., find an apt and see what is going on in my "new home"
One quick question, in the letter that they most recently send us, it stated that there is no "Getting Ready Weekend" is this the camping trip????
Anyone with any info on this. The letter stated that another activity is being planned. I was kinda looking forward to this camping idea...since I have never gone...I guess well see....

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, the combined obstacle course/bear wrestling segment of the camp was too much for some studets last year.
biggrin.gif

That kinda sucks though. I heard about it and thought it would be cool to go COMP-ing.... It would be nice to break into the new year with something fun. Convocation is nice, but a bit formal. Ok, I'll stop rambling now.

COMP 2005!!!!!

Sup everyone,

I too am wondering what they will do instead of the camping thing. Hey I got a letter today regarding the ISAC selection. So just wanna let you know that they are on the way. I'm not sure if this application goes out to select students or if everyone has to apply for the 40 spots. I haven't read through the info. yet. Too bad I won't be back in Cali till late June though so I guess I can't do it. Oh well a longer summer for me
biggrin.gif

Prit

That does suck....Sadly...I was really looking forward to this "COMPING(Nice by the way!!) Trip"..
I wonder what they are gonna do instead...hopefully something better? Why did they cancel it? Any ideas out there? I'd be interested to know.....

Hmmmmm.........Hope they got something good planned.

Is the "White Coat Ceremony" a big thing? I remember during my interview asking..and recall it being played off as "Whatever"...
My parents were interested in possibly flying in for it...and I am not sure what it is like...

Thanks...

This white coat ceremony thing is not a big deal for me. I think the staff will tell you to bring your whole family and make this event bigger than it really is. My parents are live 300 miles away from Pomona, and i'm not telling them to come down here for it. Afterwards, i'm just gonna grab a bunch of students and go out to eat afterwards.

I think the white coat ceremony can be as important as you make it to be. For some people, it can be a pretty emotional experience.. a culmination of years of work leading up to another point in time (aside from getting those acceptance letters) where one realizes they are really on the way to becoming a physician. It would be nice if the parents were there, but I don't think it is necessary by any means. I have an idea that schools can really vary as to the formality and proceedings of the ceremony too. Any comments on the COMP ceremonies from past years?

Melancholy, I agree with you 100%, the only reason that I am even bringing this up was that when I was interviewing at UHS, they made a strong point to make sure you bring all your family to the "White Coat Ceremont" because at UHS they really make a BIG BIG event out of it. I know at Nova too, it is a nice cerermony.
I was just wondering because as I said, I live in NY, and I don't want to have my parents, as well as my brother and sister fly across the country to come to some ceremony, if is some small deal, and not a "Huge Event".
They would love to come, but would rather have them come visit after I was there for a while, and was settled, if this thing is not a "Big Production".

Thanks for the input...I'll wait to hear what everyone else has to say.......

I just wanted to get a little feedback from anyone reading this. Regarding the SAPP program (not ISAC), is there anyone here who hasn't had any previous anatomy course experience and is considering _not_ taking SAPP for the summer? They stress that if students have any other committments, they should not apply to SAPP as students are expected to be in class/lab for eight hours a day and spend 2-3 hours studying (that's arbitrary to some degree).

At the moment, I have a lot of responsibilities and will probably be busy and stressed when this summer course comes around. The course practically runs until the beginning of the school year, doesn't it? (Also, I will probably still be finishing up the settling in process). I would love to take time off to relax, but not at the expense of possibly losing a chance to increase my readiness for the upcoming classes.

I have a feeling the answer would be to take my time off because free time will be sparse the next couple years of my life, but I'm sure you can understand why I am not completely ruling out SAPP just yet. Any feedback would be appreciated... thanks.

[This message has been edited by melancholy (edited March 26, 2001).]

so u guys have gotten applications to the anatomy courses?? i havent gotten that stuff yet, just the one with a schedule of events

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by vdubpower:
so u guys have gotten applications to the anatomy courses?? i havent gotten that stuff yet, just the one with a schedule of events

well i got an application for ISAC on thursday so they are definitely going out. too bad i had to turn em down though.

on another note, anyone have an idea when the new course catalogues will be out describing the new curriculum? i kinda forgot about all the changes they mentioned at the interview way back in october. but i'm more curious about this POD system they mentioned b/c i hope that we get some choice in where we do our elective rotations.

Vdub- hey.. I just got my application/letter regarding the summer programs at the very end of the week, so don't worry.. yours is probably coming in on Monday or something.

PV1- why are you not going with the ISAC? Busy.. or want to do something else during that time perhaps?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the ISAC app two days ago, and am really having a hard time deciding whether I want to do it or not. I just feel like there is a possibility that I might not pass, and might end up wasting over $2k, and some quality time with friends/family. Don't know what to do...any thoughts?

ISAC apps recieived last Saturday.

Sounds like an opportunity to get ahead, but you have to TA the gross anatomy labs afterwards. Do they pay you for this?? Hmmm, buy a truck... or get a head start on medschool? Eh, decisions decisions...

:/

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by melancholy:
Vdub
PV1- why are you not going with the ISAC? Busy.. or want to do something else during that time perhaps?

Melancholy, I am gonna travel for a bit out of the country from late May till late June so the dates interfere w/ISAC. At least I get a longer summer and some more time to relax
biggrin.gif
Also, I am used to getting ahead and finishing things early (UCSD in 3yrs) and I feel that I should take med school at the regular pace and for once actually "enjoy" a std. curriculum. So I'm gonna live it up this summer. The only trick to all this is that I might have to find a roomie while being out of the U.S. so we can find a pad early July...

Prit

Hey all,
Just got off the phone with student affairs, and it seems that COMP is dropping the whole mandatory laptop purchase deal for the next year. Thought you guys would like to know...

Greg

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by gwarner:
Hey all,
Just got off the phone with student affairs, and it seems that COMP is dropping the whole mandatory laptop purchase deal for the next year. Thought you guys would like to know...

Greg

Man, that sound great. I thought the laptop deal was a jip. Does "next year" mean this fall, or fall 2002?

I just got the SAPP letter today. I am gonna send it in...figuring I HAVE NO anatomy experience....plus I can meet some people and get myself back into the "school" mode..
What is the deal with the laptops? Do we need them? Are we supposed to get our own? I was looking forward to being wired, and having the school utilize the net and technology.
I am really hoping that we still need them, and just have the option to buy our own....

Any one know out there?

TNT,

I was referring to this year, Fall '01. I'm going to check in again later on to see if that is still the case, since the person on the phone said that she was only "pretty sure" they're recalling the whole laptop idea...you never know.

Actually, yeah.. I was somewhat looking forward to having an excuse to purchase a laptop.. although if they had an option to purchase one or not, that would've been even better. I wonder how updated the laptops were, what the pricing was, etc.. or maybe they just order them from Dell or Gateway perhaps? Thanks for the news though.. keep us updated.

Decisions, decisions.. I'm thinking I should really make the time for SAPP if possible because I might be bumping my head against the desk if I don't when the middle of anatomy rolls around. I wonder if they ever have any students that do "less" than average in anatomy after taking the SAPP course during the summer... heh.

wow they still havent me sent the summer anat stuff, i guessi have to call em,
aight peace

I want an excuse to buy a laptop as well. I really hope they give us the option to buy our own but still require it for class. However at my interview early October, I remember somebody asking about this and the response was that a policy change would be unlikely for the upcoming year. I guess they decided to change a few more things to suit the new curriculum better...we'll see.

If you want a new laptop, by all means, go ahead a buy one. But I think that their policy that we MUST rent theirs, even though we already have one was absurd. If you require a laptop, fine. but give us the option of getting our own so that we do not fork out 1200 unneeded dollars a year. I have a laptop that works perfectly fine.

Yes I completely agree with that notion. I would rather purchase my own than to rent the required laptop for four years at a price approaching 5g's.

On another note, I read that the avg. age of COMP students is about 25-26. So out of curiosity (and if you are willing to state) how old are some of you that are in COMP 2005 class?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by PV1:
how old are some of you that are in COMP 2005 class?

23 in may

by the way, is anyone going to be in the pomona area in mid april? i'm flying out there on the 20th to look at some apartments and take care of some other things...what's the weather like this time of year?

~j

the weather is hella nice now, im gonna go check out some chino hill pads in the next few weeks,

so besides everyones age, where else is everyone from, whats yor background, etc etc

see ya

Hi everyone,

I have an update for you regarding the laptops. The administration has decided that our class can return our laptops if we wish. Apparently through surveys (and a little convincing by our IT representative) they have realized that the computers we have are not top quality. So we are being given the option of either continuing to rent the laptops or return them and buy our own.

The laptop issue is an ongoing project and details have to be worked out. If you have any questions about this, please feel free to email our class IT representative: Paul Sucgang at [email protected].

Congratulations to all of you! I look forward to seeing you in the fall.

Arnold
WESTERN U/COMP CLASS OF 2004

Hey everyone,

Glad to see people are looking for places to live this early. Ill be looking for roomates to split the rent; the best deal is to get a 3 bedroom and split rent 3 ways... anyways, what's up with that COMP roomate finding service?

as far as age goes, 23 in july.

i was told my admin. that roommate matching comes out in mid may. i could go for a roommate or two. i'm real happy that some of these rent prices are right in the range that i'm paying for right now. i actually really don't care too much about location (i've lived in worse places than pomona). so i think i'm going to go for some of the housing catered toward the WesternU students. i can't wait to start living in the college ghetto again!

here's my bio...i grew up in metropolitan new york, first in queens then on long island (lets go mets!). got a degree in chem. and i've been working for a pharm company for the past 7 months (to be honest, i hate this job.) i'm having the army pay for school, so now all i have to do is study my ass off and reward myself with a little fun in sunny SoCal every now and again. life can't get much better.

i feel like i just put in for a personal...

peace!
see ya in the fall.
~j

Hey everyone...

I guess I'm the youngest at a mere 21
biggrin.gif
22 in July though. I think I'm up for a roomie or two as well. I called and the roomie info. comes out mid-May. What happens is that we fill out a likes/dislikes form and then the school sends out info. to each of us listing possible roommates. Then we contact one another and find a pad.

Hey Arnold! I met you once at UCSD when you started up SOMA. I'm glad I'll be seeing you again next year and am so happy to be going to COMP. Also, it is very nice to know that the school is being more lenient on certain issues. I believe I already made a friend via email talkin to Jaskirat (Jesse) and he kinda knows me now. Keep us informed of the changes!

I've listed my background in this thread somewhere so I won't repeat. Basically I'm living it up right now. Oh and the weather is great...kinda cloudy today but its supposed to get warmer.

Prit

I turned 29 in February....

Went to SUNY Stony Brook undergrad, double majored in Psychology and Sociology, graduated in '96

Completed Post Bac at University of Miami in '99.

Currently working as a Medical Social Worker for homeless HIV+/AIDS patients for a New York City Hospital, CHEERY Eh?

Apparently I am the oldest so far....

[This message has been edited by yosh (edited April 01, 2001).]

Darn.. there are quite a few posts to respond to so I'll just write as I go.

Whoever asked about the weather.. it is going to be better than just about any other place in the U.S.... grab t-shirts and shorts for the daytime.. and probably bring some jeans and a sweatshirt for nights which can get down to around mid 40's at the lowest most of the time. Oh yeah.. bring some sunglasses. :p

I guess I should probably look for apts. around the end of April.. ideally looking to move in at the end of June since the anatomy classes start in July. I'm really not sure if I want to get a studio or try to find a roommate... I've had bad experiences with roomates in the past (messy as heck to the point of being a health hazard, etc..).. but I should probably keep my options open because med school should be quite different.

As far as my background goes, I lived in Houston, TX most of my life.. went to the east coast for college.. and I have been working in Orange County (about 45 minutes from school in Huntington Beach) for two years at a clinical lab/research institute. I'm 23 going on 24 in May. I'll probably work at my job (which has become pretty dull) for a few more weeks then resign so I can spend more time preparing for school and devote time to my other responsibilities (I coach a high school lacrosse team over here). Most of you probably haven't heard of the sport of lacrosse, but I think yosh might have since he's from NY and it's mostly an east coast sport...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by melancholy:
Most of you probably haven't heard of the sport of lacrosse, but I think yosh might have since he's from NY and it's mostly an east coast sport...

i played lacross all through high school and a bit through college! awesome sport. your team any good? it must be interesting trying to explain lacross to people on the west coast after coming from a long tradition of play in the east coast (especially on Long Island).

~j

I know lax...my brother played all through high school and college. I never realized that it an "East" coast thing....but now that I think about it....it makes sense...
I think it is a great sport...full contact....and a lot of running...A LOT!!!

I hope we have some intramural teams or sports stuff to do...it would be good to bond with our class...outside of purely academics....and drinking..

Lacrosse shmackrosse, who cares about that anyways... :p

Hehe, I shouldnt be talking, my sports interests are just as esoteric: european club soccer, racing, and Clippers basketball
biggrin.gif
. Oh well, thats one good thing about SoCal, there are a lot of diferent things going on.

Another thing... I finally got the ISAC letter. Anyone else think this is lame-O?

let's see if we can get an intramural soccer or basketball league going. that should keep things interesting.

ah, who needs three summer weeks of grueling work in anatomy? we're gonna get a full year of it anyway, learn to embrace it. i plan to spend those three weeks in the most non-academic way possible!

I turned BIG "30" on my last birthday.
smile.gif
frown.gif

I attended Cal State Long Beach and graduated w/ an Economics degree. I went back to school to finish up my science courses I needed for my med school. I also did about 3 semesters of research in O-chem.

Right now, I work as an insurance claim adjuster in a dental office. I also teach as a private tutor. (I've been a tutor for about 13 years already!)

I'm still in a dillema about the ISAC, but most likely I'll be just working during that period. I need all the money I could earn before my income falls to ZERO starting this Aug.

Can't wait to see all you guys at school.

hey ya'll

i turned 23 in january, damn i'm old, i just got done with a degree in molec. cell. dev. bio from ucla.. did 2 years there and a few in the hell hole called UC riverside.

i need to find a chill job till august, any ideas, i need something that has nothing to do with med, maybe departments store or like a cd store, what u think

see ya

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by adismo:

Another thing... I finally got the ISAC letter. Anyone else think this is lame-O?

haha lame huh? actually i like the idea of the program. i'd prolly do it if i didnt have travel plans already made. then again why sacrifice the summer?
biggrin.gif

can't wait to start school and meet everyone.

Prit

Didn't realize lacrosse was such a big East coast thing? Well, it is definitely growing in parts of Cali.. more around the bay area and SD, but I'm part of a group of guys helping it progress in LA and Orange County. My high school team is mostly guys who play football together.. so they are sort of "thuggish".. like to hit, but at least they scare the heck out of other teams. I play in an outdoor club league and indoor too.. fun stuff. I'll probably continue during school.. I get to have two hours a weekend of exercise which I sure could use. I knew a lot of college lacrosse buddies from Long Island.. Manhasset, Yorktown Heights, Cold Spring Harbor, Bethpage, Garden City, etc. At any rate, it would be a great idea to get some intramural stuff going. Nothing better than to have some optional stress reliever after a long day of class/lab. Are any of you guys into outdoors stuff.. hiking, camping, rock climbing, etc.. that might be fun to get into.

Hey Innerpower, don't feel so bad about the big 30.. now you can take us younger guys out for drinks! =)

Adismo- esoteric, huh? I was in Houston when they won those back-to-back NBA championships. After I went to college, they fell apart.. so that wasn't my fault. :p Racing huh? Hmm.. you into that import scene? hehe...

What was lame about the ISAC letter? Since I didn't get it I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Yeah.. Vdubpower did have to go to a place in the middle of nowhere called Riverside.. any special reason you transferred from UCLA?

Melancholy,
I read your post...and funny enough....I grew up and currently live in Bethpage....How bizarre to see that you know people from here...
Who do you know...I would be interested to see if we have people in common...

What a small small world!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">
What was lame about the ISAC letter? Since I didn't get it I have no idea what you guys are talking about.
Yeah.. Vdubpower did have to go to a place in the middle of nowhere called Riverside.. any special reason you transferred from UCLA?[/B]•

Well I thought that ISAC brings about a competitive edge to the school, not lax as I experienced at the interview. Adding to that was the fact that a special note would be placed on the transcript. Kinda seems too competitive for my tastes. Maybe it just seems that way to me now. Also, the letter stated that a student would probably obtain a better understanding of anatomy were he/she to complete ISAC and so assumes that he/she would perform better on exams.

A few friends at UCR seem to have had a much better time there than most students I know at UCSD. I think there are plenty of things to do at UCR but everyone for some reason deters potential students from attending...only problem is it gets HOT and smoggy...

i transferred from riverside cuz i was sickof being in the middle of no where, i went there for that biomed program which was gay, while all my friends were loungin at LA. Seroiusly though, there were alot more oppurtunities In LA for me, education wise and fun wise. too bad pomona is back in the inland empire, never though t id have to go back

Anyone get any financial aid info as of yet?

Okay fellow COMPers,

Here's my bio. 23 years old. Went to a Jesuit university called Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles. Currently, I'm working in an emergency room as an ER Coordinator. I work with many 3rd and 4th year COMP students at that hospital(it's one of the teaching facilities available for COMP in the LA area). It's fun, and I get alot of advice from students who have already gone through most of their rotations. I sent my app in to take the 3 weeker SAPP program, so I hope to see many of you then. I know some of you guys will be apartment hunting this May. I know I'll be hooking up w/ Yosh for sure when he comes down. If anyone else is around, just drop an email and we can get a pre-party/ get-together before school starts.

Robb,
I too applied for the SAPP program...I guess we'l wait and see what happens. Like I said...I will be out the the first week in June...so...till then...

Lookin' forward to hangin' w/ya'll!!!

Well the hell is everybody? We are falling off the board here....

Anyone hear back from the SAPP or ISAC programs...any idea when we are supposed to hear? I know the latest we are supposed to hear by...is June...but that is kinda late...

I'm still here.. heh. Just waiting for other people to write stuff.. plus my DSL provider went bankrupt and then the company that owned my physical lines went bankrupt.. so I've been an ISP for awhile. :/

Hey RobbC,
you went to LMU? Cool. During the summers, I used to drive up there on Sunday afternoons to play lacrosse on that field they have up there... nice looking campus despite the surroundings.

Yeah, I turned in my SAPP app a few days ago.. hopefully not too late. I figure the advantages of taking that class outweigh any disadvantages.. and a commitment to the program will help me set my goals up until the class starts.

I can understand how they would put a competitive edge on the ISAC program.. that is something I wouldn't expect strictly from the feeling I got during the interview day, but I also suspect that there are inevitably going to be factors pushing to make the med school more competitive... for whatever reasons, I'm not sure. Still, I don't know if I like the idea of the school selecting applicants out of the entering class _even before class starts_ and putting them through a different path. Just seems kind of strange to me.. I wonder if other schools do the same thing.

Yosh,
I probably know only one or two guys that went to high school around Bethpage.. guys that played football and a ton of lacrosse. Probably the most well-known name would be A.J. Haugen (3x All-American) who graduated from Hopkins in 2000..