Western/COMP Lebanon Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
YES!! I'm going to Western COMP NW!! Class of 2015! Sooooo Excited! Congrats to you too James!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been following you guys on the forum for a long time now... I'm so excited for you James and Christina! Can't wait to see you in July!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that I had been rejected in February, but I got a letter saying I was picked as an alternate in March and a call today that I had been accepted! Lol. I guess they didn't know what to do with me so they just accepted me. :p

What a roller coaster!! congrats buddy!! You get to be a doctor!!! YAY!!! Now, since you and James are in I would like you to focus all your good luck energies so that I will be the next called :xf:

Congrats to all the new acceptances! I just love to read this stuff :)

Anyway I recently withdrew my acceptance from Western (got accepted at OHSU) but between times I got all excited and bought a Western U Comp Fleece. If someone wants to get together in the Portland area sometime I'd be glad to give it to you. It's a large... pretty cozy. :)

Oh, I'd have posted this to the c/o 2015 FB page, but I already took myself out of the group, so if there are no takers here, someone can spread the love.

Again, I am so pumped for all you Western folks! Honestly my acceptance up on the hill is bitter sweet because of the great feelings I got from my interview at Western. It is going to be such a fantastic school, and everyone there is so exceptionally welcoming. I hope that I can be involved with my osteopathic NW brethren at some point during my education. If anyone is ever interested in some cross-school activities let me know. Maybe even just a basketball tournament :laugh: Take care.

What a roller coaster!! congrats buddy!! You get to be a doctor!!! YAY!!! Now, since you and James are in I would like you to focus all your good luck energies so that I will be the next called :xf:

If it makes any difference, I have yet to officially withdraw my acceptance. I will do so in the next couple days. Hopefully you will be able to get my spot Zann. Good luck!

If it makes any difference, I have yet to officially withdraw my acceptance. I will do so in the next couple days. Hopefully you will be able to get my spot Zann. Good luck!

Just make sure to say "I am withdrawing my spot for the western NW class of 2015" then "*cough* accept ann *cough*" It will work subliminally. Trust me. ;)

I have my fingers crossed for you Zann! I'm kind of curious if most people want to be DO's or just go to DO school because they can't get into MD schools, considering the mass of people withdrawing from Western and headed to OHSU. I really want to be a DO, I believe in their philosophies and OMM and I guess I don't understand why I've never met anyone else who felt this way. Maybe some of you guys do.
Also, for those of you accepted off of the alternate list I am wondering what the next step is? Do we have to wait for our acceptance letters first? Or is there something else we can do in the meantime? I'm ready to go! :D

I have my fingers crossed for you Zann! I'm kind of curious if most people want to be DO's or just go to DO school because they can't get into MD schools, considering the mass of people withdrawing from Western and headed to OHSU. I really want to be a DO, I believe in their philosophies and OMM and I guess I don't understand why I've never met anyone else who felt this way. Maybe some of you guys do.
Also, for those of you accepted off of the alternate list I am wondering what the next step is? Do we have to wait for our acceptance letters first? Or is there something else we can do in the meantime? I'm ready to go! :D

Fill out your FAFSA.. then we wait for the letter. It has our banweb login (which has a checklist in there) as well as all the other info we need.

Thanks everybody!!! I loved loved loved this school...hopefully I get a call! ;)

Speaking only for myself the decision about which school to go to was much more than DO vs MD. I too would have liked to learn OMM. And the DO philosophy is fantastic... in fact I found that more appealing than learning another modality. On the other hand the philosophical differences between the types of physician are shrinking (IMHO) and particularly at primary care focused universities like OHSU. I can't go into all my reasons here, but some of the big ones were familial. I think both schools (and degree types) are exceptional in their own right. I never thought of the DO degree as a "backup" just an alternative. I nearly jumped out of my skin getting that call from Western, and I would have been just as proud to where that white coat as the one I am getting. For me however OHSU was just a better fit. I also want to say how proud I am that Western showed the initiative to build a new school in my home state. Oregon needs and deserves more medical education, and I think it is wonderful that is going to come in the form of osteopaths. Good luck to all of you in your studies (and reapplications). I hope to see some of you on the wards and watch you work your OMM magic!

Speaking only for myself the decision about which school to go to was much more than DO vs MD. I too would have liked to learn OMM. And the DO philosophy is fantastic... in fact I found that more appealing than learning another modality. On the other hand the philosophical differences between the types of physician are shrinking (IMHO) and particularly at primary care focused universities like OHSU. I can't go into all my reasons here, but some of the big ones were familial. I think both schools (and degree types) are exceptional in their own right. I never thought of the DO degree as a "backup" just an alternative. I nearly jumped out of my skin getting that call from Western, and I would have been just as proud to where that white coat as the one I am getting. For me however OHSU was just a better fit. I also want to say how proud I am that Western showed the initiative to build a new school in my home state. Oregon needs and deserves more medical education, and I think it is wonderful that is going to come in the form of osteopaths. Good luck to all of you in your studies (and reapplications). I hope to see some of you on the wards and watch you work your OMM magic!
I concur

I can totally understand wanting to go to a school for reasons other than wanting to be a DO or MD, but you don't hear about people turning down MD schools to go DO very often.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the call this morning! Looks like I might be seein' y'all real soon :D

...I'm rooting for you zann!!! :xf:

I'm kind of curious if most people want to be DO's or just go to DO school because they can't get into MD schools, considering the mass of people withdrawing from Western and headed to OHSU. I really want to be a DO, I believe in their philosophies and OMM and I guess I don't understand why I've never met anyone else who felt this way.

Speaking only for myself (someone who turned down COMP-NW to go to OHSU)...

1. I like the DO philosophy, but I really think that you'd be hard pressed to find very many MD's who disagree with any particular point of the DO philosophy. They just don't necessarily have it tattooed on the palms of their hands. So for me, the philosophy is not really something to get hung up on. To me it's a marketing tool... perhaps it's all true, but that doesn't mean it's not marketing.

2. OMM is very interesting, but in many cases seems to lack scientific evidence. In any event, as someone who's primarily interested in psychiatry I just don't see myself cracking any backs to rid someone of their OCD :laugh:

I loved WesternU, but I do worry about some of the training strategies that are used at some osteopathic schools. The Missouri Association of Osteopathic Physicians & Surgeons wrote a letter to Touro asking them not to open a new osteopathic med school in Missouri for some of the same reasons. Just because osteopathic medicine is cool, doesn't mean that all the schools have practices that are ideal...

In particular, I do think that people who go to DO schools have to worry 1) about getting enough real education from faculty who may not have the student very high on their priorities, and 2) about getting a residency that they'll be happy with. These are criticism of the osteopathic education system, not osteopathic medicine itself... unfortunately, I'm not sure that some people appreciate that distinction! But it is important to me, and contributed to my selection of OHSU over COMP-NW.

But I look forward to working with osteopathic colleagues some day, and I hope that we can even arrange a time for COMP-NW and OHSU students to meet!

Last edited:
I vote we stop the debate. It only leads to silliness. I could start a debate saying that more people took chocolate cake instead of vanilla, then make some assumption about how chocolate cake is better. Each school has their merits, and I personally chose Western over other schools for my own reasons. Lets keep this thread about Western U. and not start this debate again. Mkay? Mkay!

I vote we stop the debate. It only leads to silliness. I could start a debate saying that more people took chocolate cake instead of vanilla, then make some assumption about how chocolate cake is better. Each school has their merits, and I personally chose Western over other schools for my own reasons. Lets keep this thread about Western U. and not start this debate again. Mkay? Mkay!

I completely agree with this. We are all investing a lot of time, energy, guts, and real emotions into this next step in our lives. There is no reason to question anyone's decision or argue whose final two initials will serve them better. As James said, let's keep this about Western U and let's be positive, people!

I can't believe the school year is starting in 2 months! It's amazing.

Thanks for your input on your reasons btw hopeful doc and eggman. I think it's really interesting to find out what other peoples reasons are for becoming the type of docs they wanna be. And for turning down this amazing school! :)

Wanted to see if anyone has got financial aid on the banweb site or through an email... It was supposed to be sent out at the end of May (came and went). Just wanted to see if it is just me or are we all in the same situation.

Wanted to see if anyone has got financial aid on the banweb site or through an email... It was supposed to be sent out at the end of May (came and went). Just wanted to see if it is just me or are we all in the same situation.

As of right now (according the Facebook group postings), only those people who are attending one of the summer programs have received financial aid information. Everyone else is on pins-and-needles waiting.

As of right now (according the Facebook group postings), only those people who are attending one of the summer programs have received financial aid information. Everyone else is on pins-and-needles waiting.

Just called Pomona Financial Aid Department and they said I had a award waiting in my banweb, sure enough it was there... So I believe that everyone should have their award. :)

So I went to check out the campus on Friday and I can't tell you how amazing the new building is!! It is hands down gorgeous and state of the art. The facilities are gonna be a huge selling point for students who interview here in the future. I am soooo stoked to be attending here in two months. Cheers!!

Just accepted off the waitlist! woohoo....biggest relief of my life...no more MCAT...EVER!!! :laugh:

Just accepted off the waitlist! woohoo....biggest relief of my life...no more MCAT...EVER!!! :laugh:

CONGRATS ZANN! I've been rooting for you on the sidelines. And I can definitely relate to your last comment about the MCAT. I hate that test lol! Congrats again! :)

Congratulations Zann!!!! I was rooting for you too!! :D

All the best to each of you :)

Hey Waitlisters,
I am #78 on the UA, Tucson waitlist and they just accepted #75 so hopefully one of you will be getting my spot at Western soon, but it will probably be pretty last minute if it happens.

Based on the COMP Northwest Facebook page, the class seems really cool. And compared to UA, all the faculty at COMP are there solely to teach (a lot of them left their practices in other parts of the state just to be a part of the school) so it seems like it is going to be a great atmosphere. If it wasn't twice as expensive it would me my top choice, no question.

Good luck to everyone!!!:)

Hi waitlisters. I withdrew my acceptance this morning. Hope one of you gets a call soon.

Does anyone know anything about the hotel in lebanon?

Anyone want to explain this?

WesternU gives these class statistics:

Number of Applications Received 3937
Number of Interviews Granted 556
Number of Students Enrolled 220
Average Overall GPA 3.53
Average Science GPA 3.47
Average Non-Science GPA 3.2
Average MCAT 28
Admitted Students with Bachelors or Graduate Degrees 100%

How can overall GPA be higher than both the "science" and "non-science" GPA? Doesn't the overall GPA have to be somewhere between the science and non-science classes?

Anyone want to explain this?

WesternU gives these class statistics:

Average Overall GPA 3.53
Average Science GPA 3.47
Average Non-Science GPA 3.2
Average MCAT 28
Admitted Students with Bachelors or Graduate Degrees 100%

How can overall GPA be higher than both the "science" and "non-science" GPA? Doesn't the overall GPA have to be somewhere between the science and non-science classes?
Interesting observation. I would guess that there must be some classes that are not included in the non-science GPA. Possibly there is also a difference between those that apply vs. are accepted.

Interesting observation. I would guess that there must be some classes that are not included in the non-science GPA. Possibly there is also a difference between those that apply vs. are accepted.

No... It was a mistake when it was first posted.... Here is the updated version.

Average Overall GPA 3.53
Average Science GPA 3.47
Average Non-Science GPA 3.59
Average MCAT 28
Admitted Students w/ Bachelors or Graduate Degrees 100%