Western/COMP Lebanon Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just received a call to interview here on November 6th!!! I am stoked!

Members don't see this ad.

I just received a call to interview here on November 6th!!! I am stoked!

me too!! ahhh i'm so excited. time to prepare!

for anyone who is curious, i was a few days past the 30 day deadline and they still called, and technically i was complete on 9/30 ish after the release of my 2nd mcat score

Does the school send out complete emails or do you just have to look at online portal

Members don't see this ad :)
me too!! ahhh i'm so excited. time to prepare!

for anyone who is curious, i was a few days past the 30 day deadline and they still called, and technically i was complete on 9/30 ish after the release of my 2nd mcat score

Congrats guys! It'll be cool to meet everyone on Nov 6th!

Just booked my flight/hotel for Nov. 6.....Anyone ever been to Lebanon before? I didn't realize it existed until they announced a DO school there.

Just booked my flight/hotel for Nov. 6.....Anyone ever been to Lebanon before? I didn't realize it existed until they announced a DO school there.

I visited a couple months ago (native Oregonian, so I had been there before) just to get the lay of the land, and I really liked it! Beautiful farming area, helped that it was a bright sun-shiny day.

The Western campus is great because it's nice and flat, right near the hospital, and there is a great brand-new apartment complex nearby.

I also had the best hamburger I have ever eaten in my life (seriously!). If you have time, stop by Kevin's Cafe. The locals seemed really sweet and friendly too, just a smile and nod says a lot to me about a small town.

I am looking forward to interviewing here, can't wait to meet ya'll.

AntsMarching44, are you flying into PDX? I am from Portland- you should definitely check it out too if you have time ;o)

I visited a couple months ago (native Oregonian, so I had been there before) just to get the lay of the land, and I really liked it! Beautiful farming area, helped that it was a bright sun-shiny day.

The Western campus is great because it's nice and flat, right near the hospital, and there is a great brand-new apartment complex nearby.

I also had the best hamburger I have ever eaten in my life (seriously!). If you have time, stop by Kevin's Cafe. The locals seemed really sweet and friendly too, just a smile and nod says a lot to me about a small town.

I am looking forward to interviewing here, can't wait to meet ya'll.

AntsMarching44, are you flying into PDX? I am from Portland- you should definitely check it out too if you have time ;o)

Yeah, I have driven through there awhile back before I visited. Lebanon makes up the eastern end of the "Tri-city area" of Corvallis (west) and Albany (north). The town it's self is really excited to have the school. They mentioned how the towns' council was supplying the money for our initial doc bags for the first 4 years of classes. T'was raining on our interview day, so pack a jacket or umbrella! (there was only a 15% chance when I went, but it still rained :) Gotta love Oregon.)

I lived in Corvallis for 5 years and I have to say it is one of the best places to be for school. Lebanon is a little smaller but it still has the same feel and comfort level. They are about 20 minutes apart across I-5.

If you have the chance to come early I would explore the three cities Albany, Corvallis and Lebanon to get a feel for the area. The creature comforts are all there but not right at your door step like in a larger city ie. Portland. I absolutely loved going to college in the Willamette valley. If you have specific questions about the area I would be more than happy to elaborate :)

My interview day was very pleasant and the whole process made me want to move back, it felt like home. I would bring a jacket because there are a few minutes outside.

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back and getting ready to interview!

I just wanted to give a shout out to everyone that has applied and interviewed with COMP-NW. I just got word that when first applicant was selected the Admissions Committee cheered. It is truly a milestone.

November 6 is just around the corner. I have already started to invite the next series of applicants. Good Luck everyone!

I just wanted to give a shout out to everyone that has applied and interviewed with COMP-NW. I just got word that when first applicant was selected the Admissions Committee cheered. It is truly a milestone.

November 6 is just around the corner. I have already started to invite the next series of applicants. Good Luck everyone!

I know we are all anxious to find out if we got in! Do you think letters will go out next week? Were all on the edge of our seats with excitement/anticipation.

I wonder who had the honor of being the first to be accepted. By the way, i think its cool that COMP NW posts on this site... +1

That is soo awesome how the school administration posts on sdn. Major cool points to Lebanon! Man oh man I want to go here!!!!

ahh just booked my room at the Phoenix in Albany...i think this was already mentioned, but if you choose to stay here ask for the COMP NW discount.

this is my first interview...i'm so excited and nervous all at once! good luck to everyone preparing for the big day~

Members don't see this ad :)

I grew up in Tacoma so I'm flying into SeaTac and driving my sisters car down to Albany on Friday night. I like Portland, but nothing compares to Seattle :) I don't know what everyone else is doing Friday night but if anyone is interested in getting a group together and grabbing something to eat lets do it. I know I already mentioned this, but if anyone needs a ride from Portland let me know. Like I said, I'll be driving down Friday evening.

I'm interviewing Nov 6th as well! :) I am very excited.
I am also flying into seattle and driving down Friday night. I would be down to get together and have dinner/drinks the night before.

Thank you for taking the time to post CNW! That is very exciting news :) My goodness I can't wait to hear back! I would be so proud to be a part for COMP

Wow...got an interview for December 11. Very excited. Who wouldn't want to go to school in beautiful Oregon?

What's the general consensus on what to wear to this interview? For those who have already interviewed, can anyone report on what most people came to the interview dressed in?

What's the general consensus on what to wear to this interview? For those who have already interviewed, can anyone report on what most people came to the interview dressed in?

i'm going ahead with a suit (not black..sort of like grayish plaid or something) and some black heels, about one 1.5 inches i think. i have also been told to bring like a rain jacket but mine is BRIGHT green, so i'm debating on that one. i just went and got a big black briefcase/purse thing at ross today to carry stuff in...i think whatever you wear you should feel confident and like yourself, rather than put on an image that isn't you...oh and i think i'm going to throw on a pearl necklace and earrings just for a bit of flare...what do you guys think?

Yeah, I don't think you can go wrong with a suit....I think the heels and pearls might be a bit much for me since I'm a guy. I really don't want to send THAT message.

I was just reading some posts about the Pomona campus interviews and they sounded intense... does anyone have insight as to how the interviews will be set up in Lebanon?
It does say you will be interviewed by a team... but I am wondering if there will be other applicants in the room as well.
This will be interesting ;o) but I am excited!

Yeah, I don't think you can go wrong with a suit....I think the heels and pearls might be a bit much for me since I'm a guy. I really don't want to send THAT message.

ohhhh c'mon....at least you would stand out! :)

Well, if I decide not to dress up in my gorilla suit then I'll consider the tranny look...are you interviewing Nov 6 as well?

i am and i'm so stoked! this will be my first interview...i would love to go to this school so i hope i don't blow it~

i was reading a book written by a lady who does interviews and she said she always loved it when guys wore interesting ties...so since you don't seem too keen on the stiletto idea maybe pick a cool tie with a story behind it or something, to show a bit of yourself that way

i am and i'm so stoked! this will be my first interview...i would love to go to this school so i hope i don't blow it~

i was reading a book written by a lady who does interviews and she said she always loved it when guys wore interesting ties...so since you don't seem too keen on the stiletto idea maybe pick a cool tie with a story behind it or something, to show a bit of yourself that way

Then I'll bring a few and you can help me pick one out. What's going on friday night? Are we all hanging out or what? The last thing I want is to be in Albany on a friday night with no one to hang out with

I was just reading some posts about the Pomona campus interviews and they sounded intense... does anyone have insight as to how the interviews will be set up in Lebanon?
It does say you will be interviewed by a team... but I am wondering if there will be other applicants in the room as well.
This will be interesting ;o) but I am excited!

I think a few applicants, including me tried to post how our interviews went if you want to look back through the thread. Basically they give you all the basic info in a conference room in the hospital, then for the interviews you each have your own panel of interviewers consisting of professionals from every part of the field. The interviewers are absolutely awesome and the interviews are not bad at all. A surprise on a question maybe, but not hard.

One of the worst things you can do before an interview is get apprehensive. You have made it to the interview process and they obviously want to see who you are, so show them! Just be yourself! If you look at the stats for western, the hardest part is getting the interview, after that the acceptance rate is quite high. Just be yourself, you will do fine.

I think a few applicants, including me tried to post how our interviews went if you want to look back through the thread. Basically they give you all the basic info in a conference room in the hospital, then for the interviews you each have your own panel of interviewers consisting of professionals from every part of the field. The interviewers are absolutely awesome and the interviews are not bad at all. A surprise on a question maybe, but not hard.

What kinds of questions do you consider "surprising"?

What kinds of questions do you consider "surprising"?

It's just not your typical, Why western? Why do? ethics.. yada yada... don't get me wrong those are in there. But they use different forms of asking you different questions. Due to them using standardized questions for each applicant, I wouldn't want to give everything away! lol

Did your letter come?

No.. No. I will be one of the last ones receiving my letters becuase I live far away. I am just stating that becuase the decisions have already been made and now we are just waiting for little pieces of paper that determine our future to arrive.

I've interviewed at western Lebanon already and I believe absolutely everyone was in a suit - girls and guys. And I agree with a previous post about snazzing up the tie - I've heard comments to applicants at various schools from the staff/interviewers that they enjoy when a guy has a different tie than the generic tie with white shirt and black suit. However, if that's what you have - fear not! because you'll fit right in :) As a girl, I went with a suit, button up shirt, and heals - although I've seen all sorts of different outfits from the women, so it appears anything goes.

As far as the interview, I had 2 interveiwers and no other applicants in the room with me. And like everyone has said - just be yourself and let them see who you are.

When you say panel, does this mean there were more than two professionals interviewing you? Another poster said they were interviewed by two doctors...

Also I am curious if the interview was conversational.. did your interviewers share any of their thoughts on the school?

When you say panel, does this mean there were more than two professionals interviewing you? Another poster said they were interviewed by two doctors...

Also I am curious if the interview was conversational.. did your interviewers share any of their thoughts on the school?

Yes, my panel consisted of three people. The CEO of the local Samaritan hospital system that the school will be working with. The CEO of a major insurance company, and the DO of the year for 2009 i believe. As you can see it is quite the range of professionals. The interview was very conversational; they are really interested in you, not staring at the clock until you spout your answers (though they will glance at it, in my case the DO was the one keeping time and the other two didn't glance at the clock once). There was much back and forth in the interview. There was even some banter becuase one of them worked with ASU (I'm a Wildcat(UofA), the Sundevils(ASU) are our rival school in AZ). To answer your last question, one of my final questions (they give you a few mintues at the end to ask whatever you need or want) was where did they see the school headed, what will it be know for 20 years from now? They were very heartfelt and transparent, you could see they had a passion for what they did in their answer. I believe they are looking for in us.

Just my two cents though... I can say however that everyone there knows you it seems. Like they have all read your application multiple times. I loved the day and will be stalking my mail man until I get the letter. :)

did anyone have this "how many tennis balls would occupy the volume of a blue whale?" question in their interview? i have seen it a bunch of times while going back through the interview feedback page...hoping that it was just to ease some tension right??

if anyone else is staying at the phoenix inn, we should grab dinner or breakfast together or something...i am driving down from moscow, id and probably won't be in until around 8 ish AND i'll have my 3 m/o daughter with me BUT, i would still love to meet some fellow interviewers if you guys are up for it

how is interview prep going??

Yes, my panel consisted of three people. The CEO of the local Samaritan hospital system that the school will be working with. The CEO of a major insurance company, and the DO of the year for 2009 i believe. As you can see it is quite the range of professionals. The interview was very conversational; they are really interested in you, not staring at the clock until you spout your answers (though they will glance at it, in my case the DO was the one keeping time and the other two didn't glance at the clock once). There was much back and forth in the interview. There was even some banter becuase one of them worked with ASU (I'm a Wildcat(UofA), the Sundevils(ASU) are our rival school in AZ). To answer your last question, one of my final questions (they give you a few mintues at the end to ask whatever you need or want) was where did they see the school headed, what will it be know for 20 years from now? They were very heartfelt and transparent, you could see they had a passion for what they did in their answer. I believe they are looking for in us.

Just my two cents though... I can say however that everyone there knows you it seems. Like they have all read your application multiple times. I loved the day and will be stalking my mail man until I get the letter. :)

Thanks James! This sounds pretty awesome- I love a good conversation about medicine. I also love that everyone seems so excited about the new campus and that they actually read your application. Very awesome. I'm definitely looking for a school with some heart.
Sounds like your interview went well, congrats!

for those of you who have interviewed...did they say that we would be doing the interprofessional education at this campus? it says we will on the comp-nw website but i don't know if that was just linked in from the original website or not. i would love to do the IPE but dont know if it's possible at the new location...

did anyone have this "how many tennis balls would occupy the volume of a blue whale?" question in their interview? i have seen it a bunch of times while going back through the interview feedback page...hoping that it was just to ease some tension right??

if anyone else is staying at the phoenix inn, we should grab dinner or breakfast together or something...i am driving down from moscow, id and probably won't be in until around 8 ish AND i'll have my 3 m/o daughter with me BUT, i would still love to meet some fellow interviewers if you guys are up for it

how is interview prep going??

The tennis balls question was just to see how you think and how your formulate answers to questions that you don't quite know. However, I think the tennis ball question was last year, and at the Pomona campus. So no, not this year....

FYI.. there is a Denny's across the street from Phx Inn. Not the best food ever, but the staff there is super friendly. I am interested as to how the baby is going to work? Will you take him on the interview?

Thanks James! This sounds pretty awesome- I love a good conversation about medicine. I also love that everyone seems so excited about the new campus and that they actually read your application. Very awesome. I'm definitely looking for a school with some heart.
Sounds like your interview went well, congrats!

Your quite welcome. That is one thing I felt this campus had (though the building isn't quite done yet.) Everyone wants this school to be here.

for those of you who have interviewed...did they say that we would be doing the interprofessional education at this campus? it says we will on the comp-nw website but i don't know if that was just linked in from the original website or not. i would love to do the IPE but dont know if it's possible at the new location...

They mentioned the IPE program and stated we would have contacts available on the Pomona campus. They also stated that there was a nursing school, and a few other health related professional schools in the area that they would work with to try and provide the same experience, although they are not on campus like Pomona.

"I am interested as to how the baby is going to work? Will you take him on the interview?"

lol no i won't be hauling her around with me...my parents actually live in medford which is about 2.5-3 hours south of lebanon, so they are going to drive up and hang out with her while i'm at the interview. with the short notice of the interview, my husband was already scheduled for work, so that's why i have to bring her, but it all works out because my folks love to get their hands on the grand-baby :nod:

thanks a lot for all of the advice and info. i'm glad that they are still going to incorporate some the if IPE because i think it's really great

"I am interested as to how the baby is going to work? Will you take him on the interview?"

lol no i won't be hauling her around with me...my parents actually live in medford which is about 2.5-3 hours south of lebanon, so they are going to drive up and hang out with her while i'm at the interview. with the short notice of the interview, my husband was already scheduled for work, so that's why i have to bring her, but it all works out because my folks love to get their hands on the grand-baby :nod:

thanks a lot for all of the advice and info. i'm glad that they are still going to incorporate some the if IPE because i think it's really great

I'm a big fan of babies, my daughter is 3, and I'll be leaving her with my parents also. I am staying at the pheonix inn.. although it seems expensive even with the school discount and AAA compared to other hotels in the area.. what about staying in lebanon?

I'm a big fan of babies, my daughter is 3, and I'll be leaving her with my parents also. I am staying at the pheonix inn.. although it seems expensive even with the school discount and AAA compared to other hotels in the area.. what about staying in lebanon?

Phx inn was $70 if i remember correctly with the Western U discount, the one in lebanon is $45. I stayed at phx inn because they include a full breakfast, including eggs, waffles, cereal, tazo teas, multilple kinds of muffins, bagles, toast, etc. (I don't like dry bagels with coffee for breakfast and I wanted a full meal so i kinda included it in the price.) The one in lebanon has a restaurant across the street where you can eat in the morning. Either way Western did provide a small table with ice water and some bagels for the interviewees, though the staff were the only ones eating them, lol.

yay for mom's going to medical school!

I was wondering if your status in their online portal system ever changes? Mine has said 'Complete ready for Review' for awhile now...do they meet on a certain day to review applications and decide interviews/rejections?

Thanks!

I was wondering if your status in their online portal system ever changes? Mine has said 'Complete ready for Review' for awhile now...do they meet on a certain day to review applications and decide interviews/rejections?

Thanks!

I'm not sure how they run it here. I've been complete since Aug 13th and called Robin to ask what was going on. I was told with where I was in my place in line that I should hear something within 1-2 weeks; yet people that were complete a month after me have recieved interviews.

I'm also interviewing on the 6th. I called yesterday to reserve a room at the Phoenix Inn and the guy I talked to didn't want to give me the $70 a night rate. He said even though I was interviewing at Western, the best they could do was around $115. After being put on hold for quite a while, he finally said that $70 would be fine. It made me feel like I was getting a great deal, even though that is the established rate.

I'm flying into PDX around 6. Couldn't get a flight out on Sat. so I'm staying another night and leaving Sunday morning. Anyone else in the same boat?

just canceled my nov 6 interview, good luck to whoever gets it! :)

I'm also interviewing on the 6th. I called yesterday to reserve a room at the Phoenix Inn and the guy I talked to didn't want to give me the $70 a night rate. He said even though I was interviewing at Western, the best they could do was around $115. After being put on hold for quite a while, he finally said that $70 would be fine. It made me feel like I was getting a great deal, even though that is the established rate.​

I'm flying into PDX around 6. Couldn't get a flight out on Sat. so I'm staying another night and leaving Sunday morning. Anyone else in the same boat?​

When I made my reservation I said I was coming in for Western, and the lady said that the rate was under 'COMP Northwest.' I didn't have any trouble getting the $70 rate, though. Maybe it's just a matter of what name you give them to get the rate to come up?

Anyone inquired or heard when letters regarding accceptance are being mailed out from the Oct 9th interview. I know they said 3-4 weeks but I hate not knowing everytime I go to the mailbox;-)

Just curious if anyone heard anything.. I was thinking maybe they would be going out soon...

I'm also interviewing on the 6th. I called yesterday to reserve a room at the Phoenix Inn and the guy I talked to didn't want to give me the $70 a night rate. He said even though I was interviewing at Western, the best they could do was around $115. After being put on hold for quite a while, he finally said that $70 would be fine. It made me feel like I was getting a great deal, even though that is the established rate.

I'm flying into PDX around 6. Couldn't get a flight out on Sat. so I'm staying another night and leaving Sunday morning. Anyone else in the same boat?

yah i'm staying until sunday also because i don't want to make a 7 hour drive after the interview. i will have my car so if anyone needs a ride to the hospital from the hotel we can car pool, so you don't have to take a taxi =)