Western/COMP Lebanon Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Absolutely, lets all grab a bite to eat friday night. There's a Sizzler down the street from the Phoenix Inn. There's also a Denny's right next door if you guys are on a budget. What do you guys think??

I would be interested, but my plane doesn't arrive until 7. With a two hour drive, it'll be pretty late before I get in. I'll see ya'll on Saturday though!

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely, lets all grab a bite to eat friday night. There's a Sizzler down the street from the Phoenix Inn. There's also a Denny's right next door if you guys are on a budget. What do you guys think??

I totally would too, but I'll be driving day of. Have fun!

Rain on Saturday. Bring your umbrellas...you know, if you aren't an Oregonian and tend to melt. :p :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Rain on Saturday. Bring your umbrellas...you know, if you aren't an Oregonian and tend to melt. :p :laugh:

Looks like it's supposed to rain in the evening, so we may get lucky with just clouds in the morning. Will be cold though, high of 59, brrr. It's okay if you tend to melt, I'm a native Oregonian, and I still do from time to time.

Has anyone recieved any mail from Western who interviewed 10/9 ?
I got acceptance call, but no mail yet ?
Just wondering....

Thanks

Has anyone recieved any mail from Western who interviewed 10/9 ?
I got acceptance call, but no mail yet ?
Just wondering....

Thanks

No mail here either. I got the call on Tuesday. I assume it is like our interview. The email that they sent out regarding the interview came out like 10 days after they said they were going to send it. I guess they are swamped with other things..

I am anxious to get it as well. I like to have a piece of paper saying "You're accepted" in addition to a phone call...

No mail here either. I got the call on Tuesday. I assume it is like our interview. The email that they sent out regarding the interview came out like 10 days after they said they were going to send it. I guess they are swamped with other things..

I am anxious to get it as well. I like to have a piece of paper saying "You're accepted" in addition to a phone call...

Thats exactly what i want too, that piece of paper LOL. I guess just keep waiting. I actually never got anything regarding interview.
I hope this letter comes SOON.

Thanks!!!!

No letter today either. I know they called which is GREAT. But I need that letter for my sanity. My brain keeps going.. is this real, did they make a mistake, etc etc... I need that paper!!!! lol

No letter today either. I know they called which is GREAT. But I need that letter for my sanity. My brain keeps going.. is this real, did they make a mistake, etc etc... I need that paper!!!! lol

Same here... I am actually going to other interviews (NSU and LECOM next week) and i just really wanted to have the paper in my hands....
Anyway i think we are in the same boat and we should get packets soon.
Has anyone called to find out what's going ???

I interviewed in Lebanon yesterday and I have to say, I *loved* this school. The bus tour was amazing! And the staff was just so pumped about their school and the support of the community that it was contagious. It seemed like the interview went well... I was pretty nervous though, but if heart is what they want, I think they heard that from me ;o)

Did you guys get a complete email when your file was complete?

I got an e-mail confirmation that they had received my secondary application on July 28th and everything else was done August 13th. I did check my online status in Ban-Web to make sure they recorded my letters of rec and test scores. It took a few days to get everything posted and for my check to clear but it all went through. I did e-mail them to make sure they had my letters but with the volume they needed to process it made since why it took a few extra days.

I also had an EXCELLENT time interviewing here. It was really neat to see a vision coming to life, and a community really excited about the school being there.
The OMM presentation was awesome- best I have seen. I thought they did a great job of trying to make you relaxed and comfortable. After meeting so many of the people involved and learning about this school it has become my top choice :) now fingers crossed I get in!:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
dear COMP-NW PLEASE ACCEPT ME!!

ahhhh

i loved the interview day and the staff and the whole experience. now i am going to go crazy for the next 3-4 weeks hoping that i get accepted!

i was feeling so great about the interview right after it was over and now i am sitting and analyzing and wondering if it was great as i thought. oh man...i would love to go to this school.

nads- now i know what you meant about the "weird questions" lol...but i think it went ok still

dear COMP-NW PLEASE ACCEPT ME!!

ahhhh

i loved the interview day and the staff and the whole experience. now i am going to go crazy for the next 3-4 weeks hoping that i get accepted!

i was feeling so great about the interview right after it was over and now i am sitting and analyzing and wondering if it was great as i thought. oh man...i would love to go to this school.

nads- now i know what you meant about the "weird questions" lol...but i think it went ok still

Agreed! The school looked really great and I loved how enthusiastic everyone was. Maybe it was the warm fuzzies from the garden. ;)

(I told my husb about those questions and got a head-tilt like a confused puppy.)

Agreed! The school looked really great and I loved how enthusiastic everyone was. Maybe it was the warm fuzzies from the garden. ;)

(I told my husb about those questions and got a head-tilt like a confused puppy.)

haha, thats how everyone reacted to me as well. I said "role play" and their eyebrows went WAY up!! (then I had to elaborate and clarify!)

Hello,

I was just wondering if anybody has recieved there acceptance letter in the mail ? (From the first interview group 10/9)

I got the call, and it was voicemail that said i was accepted and that the letter was comming in the mail ?

thanks guys!!!

I just got my acceptance letter in the mail!!!! Woo Hooooo!!!! Although I got the call I am happy to have that piece of paper.

Likewise, I received my alternate letter. So they should be in your mail box very soon. Gratz all.

Hello,

I was just wondering if anybody has recieved there acceptance letter in the mail ? (From the first interview group 10/9)

I got the call, and it was voicemail that said i was accepted and that the letter was comming in the mail ?

thanks guys!!!
Got mine today!

supposedly my letter is at home, while I'm stuck at work. When I get home tomorrow morning I can only hope for alternate status since I wasn't one of the lucky ones to have received a call.

Does anyone remember what day they said was the earliest we could contact them about our status (if we have an interview/acceptance we won't take if accepted)? I have an interview next week that I would cancel if I don't need to go.

If I remember correctly, you can call as soon as the acceptances have been approved. Anyone remember what day they meet to approve acceptances??

I think they said it would be this Thursday that the committee meets, but honestly I was so nervous at that point that I think I blacked out a little... so I could be wrong

Does anyone remember what day they said was the earliest we could contact them about our status (if we have an interview/acceptance we won't take if accepted)? I have an interview next week that I would cancel if I don't need to go.

If I remember correctly, you can call as soon as the acceptances have been approved. Anyone remember what day they meet to approve acceptances??

I think they said it would be this Thursday that the committee meets, but honestly I was so nervous at that point that I think I blacked out a little... so I could be wrong

Although I do not have the exact answer for you take the first groups timeline as a rough blue print.

Interviewed October 9th. Skip a week.
First committee meeting Oct 19
Committee still making desicions on the Oct 26.
Letters sent out the following week.
So, although I didn't answer you question exactly, it takes awhile :)

they did say this thursday i believe.

i have officially made myself crazy going back through every question and every answer that i gave, wishing we had more time! the 30 minutes went by so fast...this whole process is going to put me into an early grave

they did say this thursday i believe.

i have officially made myself crazy going back through every question and every answer that i gave, wishing we had more time! the 30 minutes went by so fast...this whole process is going to put me into an early grave

I agree, the interview felt like it was only 5 minutes long. I was more nervous than usual and I think it was because everyone kept coming up to us throughout the day saying "don't be nervous"! I think that those of us from the Northwest have a really good shot at getting in here though.

I agree, the interview felt like it was only 5 minutes long. I was more nervous than usual and I think it was because everyone kept coming up to us throughout the day saying "don't be nervous"! I think that those of us from the Northwest have a really good shot at getting in here though.

You are so right! I am glad others feel the same as I do- I was ridiculously nervous. It was hard to not feel nervous once I started to get excited about the school! I hope they choose the best class ever, with me in it ;o)

Not much talk in this thread, were there not many SDNers in the Nov 6 group?

Not much talk in this thread, were there not many SDNers in the Nov 6 group?

i think there were quite a few actually but now there's not much more to do but wait to hear back!

i think there were quite a few actually but now there's not much more to do but wait to hear back!

JamesLMT: how long did it take before you heard from Western about your status post-interview?

JamesLMT: how long did it take before you heard from Western about your status post-interview?

Officially, letter in the mail, I received my letter on 11/08, I interviewed on 10/09. They had my decision made by 10/28 however. They had some decisions made on 10/21, but not everyone.

Anyone know what the average GPA/MCAT is for those accepted?

I'm familiar with the California campus averages from the school's website, and was wondering if the averages will be the same for the Oregon campus? Or will they be a bit lower due to the new location?

Also is one at a disadvantage if you're not from the northwest?

My application file became complete this week. I have a 27 mcat, 3.1 overall, 3.2 science, and I'm currently enrolled in a DO SMP, and have no idea what my chances are, but would definitely go to this school in a heart beat.

Anxiously awaiting news too...
I did love this school, but is anyone else sad that PCs are mandated? I likes my mac! Plus it seems like a waste to drop money on a new computer when mine works fine...

Anyone know what the average GPA/MCAT is for those accepted?

I'm familiar with the California campus averages from the school's website, and was wondering if the averages will be the same for the Oregon campus? Or will they be a bit lower due to the new location?

Also is one at a disadvantage if you're not from the northwest?

My application file became complete this week. I have a 27 mcat, 3.1 overall, 3.2 science, and I'm currently enrolled in a DO SMP, and have no idea what my chances are, but would definitely go to this school in a heart beat.

Being the first year, there is no way to know what the average acceptance will be. They have stated that they want to produce docs for the NW (as Oregon has a high rate of physician importing). That said, there were a lot of people who came from a distance (even the east coast) at the interview day I attended.

one week down!....getting closer

Anxiously awaiting news too...
I did love this school, but is anyone else sad that PCs are mandated? I likes my mac! Plus it seems like a waste to drop money on a new computer when mine works fine...

Is anyone going to take advantage of their offer to tell you their response if you have an interview/acceptance offer?

Is anyone going to take advantage of their offer to tell you their response if you have an interview/acceptance offer?

Do you mean to actually CALL them? Heaven forbid! ;)

Do you mean to actually CALL them? Heaven forbid! ;)

It would be a coup wrapped in a scandal but it might just be bold enough to work! ;) Now, where's that phone number...:cool:

It would be a coup wrapped in a scandal but it might just be bold enough to work! ;) Now, where's that phone number...:cool:

I know they said they would start reviewing our applications last thursday, but its possible they haven't finished selecting everybody. You don't want to jinx yourself :)

So, just to play the devil's advocate :), why do you want to go to Western-Lebanon? How do you know you will love the school? It isn't even built yet. What about the area? There is nothing nearby. How do we know the rotation sites will be good? What about the newness of their systems based curriculum? Where are they getting the faculty?

Let me be clear, I am not criticizing the school, I am just fishing for opinions.

the wait is the worst... patience is not my forte :)

So, just to play the devil's advocate :), why do you want to go to Western-Lebanon? How do you know you will love the school? It isn't even built yet. What about the area? There is nothing nearby. How do we know the rotation sites will be good? What about the newness of their systems based curriculum? Where are they getting the faculty?

Let me be clear, I am not criticizing the school, I am just fishing for opinions.

This school is set up so train students who want to work in the Northwest. thats the primary reason I want to go. You're right, there is nothing in Lebanon, but Corvalis and Albany are good-sized cities and Portland is an hour away. I am especially excited for the rotation sites because I'm from Tacoma. I have absolutely no frame of reference with regards to the system based curriculum so I could care less about how they teach the stuff just so long as it prepares me for the exams. From what I understood at the interview, the main core of faculty will be in place, and the rest will teach lecture via conference from Pomona...which worries me a little because I tend to watch copious amounts of baseball on my laptop in school, a habit I'm commited to breaking before entering med school, but might be compromised if I have to use my laptop for lecture.

This school is set up so train students who want to work in the Northwest. thats the primary reason I want to go. You're right, there is nothing in Lebanon, but Corvalis and Albany are good-sized cities and Portland is an hour away. I am especially excited for the rotation sites because I'm from Tacoma. I have absolutely no frame of reference with regards to the system based curriculum so I could care less about how they teach the stuff just so long as it prepares me for the exams. From what I understood at the interview, the main core of faculty will be in place, and the rest will teach lecture via conference from Pomona...which worries me a little because I tend to watch copious amounts of baseball on my laptop in school, a habit I'm commited to breaking before entering med school, but might be compromised if I have to use my laptop for lecture.

Curriculum, for me, is one of the most important things. Traditional based is where you take several different unrelated (in terms of topics) classes and take tests on each separately. You do not get integration. Systems based, however, is where you learn all aspects of a system at once (biochem, pharm, anat, phys) and you take one big test on the whole system. I am concerned, with them so recently switching over, that their will be conflicts from professors in following this method. I am also really concerned about "satellite" classes. I don't know about you guys, but as soon as the professor comes on T.V., I go and play Bloons Tower Defense .
**Don't follow that link unless you want to destroy your last semester of undergrad.

for me, i think systems based is great because you learn how everything is interconnected for that one system. personally i think it's better and at the interview they went over the cirriculum...there isn't just one big test. there are exams every two weeks, to keep you up on the material and constantly reviewing and studying, rather than just waiting to cram it all in at the end of the semester.

as for your other questions....while the school isn't built yet, there is such a sense of community just being there and interacting with the awesome staff. a school is so much more than a building, and by only being there for a day i could already see how the whole thing was coming together. i hope to go here to work with the wonderful people that i met on the 6th. as for location; lebanon is small but you have albany and corvallis RIGHT there, portland an hour to the north, bend 90 minutes through the mountains and the coast 90 minutes to the west. if you ask me, that's a lot of things right at your fingertips, even if you have to drive for a little bit, but i'm also used to that as i live in a small town right now. the majority of the rotation sites are already in existence from the school's Northwest Track, where students have done rotations in oregon, washington and idaho. from talking with current students at the interview, their opinion was that their rotations were excellent. as the school has already had students in the area, i'm sure they will have no problem expanding those rotations possible to accomodate more students. i don't know much about where the faculty is coming from....from what i can remember they have some members in place who have spent the last year at pomona learning the "western ways" to come up and bring them to comp-nw.

that's just my input...i'm very excited about this school and am really hoping to go here, if you couldn't tell :).

Curriculum, for me, is one of the most important things. Traditional based is where you take several different unrelated (in terms of topics) classes and take tests on each separately. You do not get integration. Systems based, however, is where you learn all aspects of a system at once (biochem, pharm, anat, phys) and you take one big test on the whole system. I am concerned, with them so recently switching over, that their will be conflicts from professors in following this method. I am also really concerned about "satellite" classes. I don't know about you guys, but as soon as the professor comes on T.V., I go and play Bloons Tower Defense .
**Don't follow that link unless you want to destroy your last semester of undergrad.

If we both end up getting in this year we'll have to help each other pay attention in class. Damn the person who invented Netflix! I'm thinking about taking the science curriculum prep course that Western offers for students with non-science majors. I've taken BioChem, CellBio, and all the prereqs but I majored in psychology.

If we both end up getting in this year we'll have to help each other pay attention in class. Damn the person who invented Netflix! I'm thinking about taking the science curriculum prep course that Western offers for students with non-science majors. I've taken BioChem, CellBio, and all the prereqs but I majored in psychology.

I assume that course is located in Pomona? What are you plans on finding a place to stay and such- just curious because I was thinking of how I could make it work too.

Just mailed in my deposit and ordered my background check! Woohoo

I assume that course is located in Pomona? What are you plans on finding a place to stay and such- just curious because I was thinking of how I could make it work too.

Yeah, Im pretty sure the class is in Pomona. I'm hoping I'll be able to find someone who's willing to rent me a room for the summer...but I'll cross that bridge if and when I get accepted.